• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Probably unpopular opinion:

If I had to guess, I think football will look more like baseball with a sort of farm team system that pulls the most talented and "ready" high school athletes while the remaining players follow the current college pathway. The related talent drain will drastically change college sports including where the broadcast contract money flows. It could end up a good thing for college football "purists" and for the athletes ready to compete professionally. The tension between money and amateur status had to end at some point.
If I knew how to search archived posts, I’d pull up the one from a couple of years ago when NIL first started wherein I proposed this very model. It would make so much more sense for the NFL to pay for their own player development - they get it free now, and they have more money and experience with player/employee contracts than the universities…

I went back to watching small college ball. Not a lot has changed. It's still a bunch of talented athletes competing while going to school.

WTAM-Stadium-Endzone-10-1030x608.jpg

Major college football is on its way to a less form of professional football. It isn't a question of if, but when. I don't know how many teams that model will be sustainable for. Looking at pro football you have only 32, and that's around the same number in other pro sports. I think 30-40 of the major programs will break off and become essentially minor league pro ball. The rest of the teams will reorganize and fall more in line with traditional college football.

College football as you know it is still out there, it just isn't at the FBS level anymore. FCS, DII, DIII, NAIA, all are still filled with kids who are just going to college and playing for a scholarship and for the love of the game. It's out there and will continue to be out there. If that's what you enjoy, that product is more accessible than it has ever been.
winner winner chicken dinner

The price?

The meal tastes the same but now costs more. The game is the same but the fan now pays more so their team can keep up with the others.
Doesn’t cost average fans any more. When I go to games it’s cheaper.

College football as we know it is done and over with. With the portal, nil, rule changes, rising tuition and conference realignment, i think it’s the end of the sport. the playoff decision was just another nail in the coffin. my bet is we have only 4 more years before schools drop out in droves.
NCAA headquarters used to be KANSAS

:):Biggrin:

College football is better now then it ever was. Its a year round sport, similar to the NFL. Nebraska just had another disappointing season, but now we get to look forward to seeing what players we can get from the portal. Recruiting is a year round process, with two signing days. Spring is similar to mini camp and highly reported on. In the summer we hear about camps or possible late additions from the portal. Even with how bad Nebraska has been, I have consistently had hope that the next year was going to better.

Conference realignment has been exciting. I have mixed thoughts on NIL, but if you have 9 million people watching a game, networks paying billions of dollars and media fans praising/criticizing players, the players probably deserve some of the spoils. There are pros and cons to transfer portal, but has generated alot of excitement.

While the sport seems top heavy, we had Cincinnati in the playoff last year and Washington, which was 4-8 2 years ago , has a chance to win it all this year. Next year 12 teams can get in. Gives hope to every program that they may have a chance if have right coach and players.

I would love to see a split with the top 64 teams vying for championship and a second lower tier vying for its own championship. I think this could be a reality and actually help viewership.
If UNLV v. Tulane was for a lower tier national championship, instead of the Weed Eater Bowl, I think you would get a lot of viewers.
Great post!

College football is better now then it ever was. Its a year round sport, similar to the NFL. Nebraska just had another disappointing season, but now we get to look forward to seeing what players we can get from the portal. Recruiting is a year round process, with two signing days. Spring is similar to mini camp and highly reported on. In the summer we hear about camps or possible late additions from the portal. Even with how bad Nebraska has been, I have consistently had hope that the next year was going to better.

Conference realignment has been exciting. I have mixed thoughts on NIL, but if you have 9 million people watching a game, networks paying billions of dollars and media fans praising/criticizing players, the players probably deserve some of the spoils. There are pros and cons to transfer portal, but has generated alot of excitement.

While the sport seems top heavy, we had Cincinnati in the playoff last year and Washington, which was 4-8 2 years ago , has a chance to win it all this year. Next year 12 teams can get in. Gives hope to every program that they may have a chance if have right coach and players.

I would love to see a split with the top 64 teams vying for championship and a second lower tier vying for its own championship. I think this could be a reality and actually help viewership. If UNLV v. Tulane was for a lower tier national championship, instead of the Weed Eater Bowl, I think you would get a lot of viewers.
well stated. I sometimes wonder if we haven't gotten so used to saying college football is ruined that we stop noticing how great it is.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back