• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Probably unpopular opinion:

College football as we know it is done and over with. With the portal, nil, rule changes, rising tuition and conference realignment, i think it’s the end of the sport. the playoff decision was just another nail in the coffin. my bet is we have only 4 more years before schools drop out in droves.
as i have stated for awhile now, college football is about money money money. the on field product no longer matters. it is what can you as a program add to the bottom line. this sport sold its soul to the devil some time ago and he has come calling. fsu is not in bc it did not bring sizzle. i have never doubted the acumen of matt rhule. i just knew that he and his personality, along with where we are located, did not and would not produce enough headlines to make us relevant.

nil, transfer portal etc have completely changed this sport. i feel as though this program has slept through the revolution and we will suffer the consequences. money and marketing are just as important if not more important than recruiting. if you do not have leaders in the ad department, or a head coach that is media savvy, you are screwed. it is a new world boys. either we play in it, or get left on the outside.

It is no longer what it was when I was a kid. Although it was about money then and is more so now. Exept the kids Are getting a bigger portion. The nil and the transfer portal are the right things to do. That doesnt mean I have to like them. I hate that coaches are making almost double digit millions as well. There is no going back, college has become a for profit entity (football and education) and it is here to stay. I am 15 years past spending my Saturdays watching the product. My next step is to find a small college team if I want to continue to watch with the same passion as I used to. I am kind of liking my Saturdays free right now though.

I simply challenged him to reflect on it as a different perspective. Kind of like you are doing by disagreeing with me. I don't disagree with your assessment of where college football is in regards to greed. I'm also not a believer that the NCAA is a bad institution because they are the governing body. I just have a different perspective and still judging whether this evolution, which is similar to the rest of the world, is ruining college football or progressing with the rest of the world. I just fail to see the ruin on Saturdays.

My point was, maybe he already did that, and still came to the same conclusion.

Major college football is on its way to a less form of professional football. It isn't a question of if, but when. I don't know how many teams that model will be sustainable for. Looking at pro football you have only 32, and that's around the same number in other pro sports. I think 30-40 of the major programs will break off and become essentially minor league pro ball. The rest of the teams will reorganize and fall more in line with traditional college football.

College football as you know it is still out there, it just isn't at the FBS level anymore. FCS, DII, DIII, NAIA, all are still filled with kids who are just going to college and playing for a scholarship and for the love of the game. It's out there and will continue to be out there. If that's what you enjoy, that product is more accessible than it has ever been.
If I had to guess, I think football will look more like baseball with a sort of farm team system that pulls the most talented and "ready" high school athletes while the remaining players follow the current college pathway. The related talent drain will drastically change college sports including where the broadcast contract money flows. It could end up a good thing for college football "purists" and for the athletes ready to compete professionally. The tension between money and amateur status had to end at some point.

I miss the good ol' days when folks would get all up in arms about that RB who would drive up in a brand new Trans Am.

And wonder.

Last edited:

I have been a N fan for 60 years (showing my age) and will always watch them and root for them. The game will not change but the busness of college sports will. I will be curious how the IRS treats athletes with NIL as income. Will they be considered independant contractors or employees. Either will create problems for the athlete as not only NIL money but the value of the scholarship, ie. books, tuition, medical, training table, residenc hall etc would be considered income. Does the university have to provide accountants or financial planners for these 19-21 year olds. Interesting thoughts above and beyond the game itself.

I have been a N fan for 60 years (showing my age) and will always watch them and root for them. The game will not change but the busness of college sports will. I will be curious how the IRS treats athletes with NIL as income. Will they be considered independant contractors or employees. Either will create problems for the athlete as not only NIL money but the value of the scholarship, ie. books, tuition, medical, training table, residenc hall etc would be considered income. Does the university have to provide accountants or financial planners for these 19-21 year olds. Interesting thoughts above and beyond the game itself.

It will be interesting.

Will the NCAA add a rule that disqualifies a player because of misreporting of income to the IRS?

LOL.

I also see a shift in coaching, where some good coaches simply won't want to step on that elevator and prefer those well worn steps.
More work, wont get you there fast, but where they have a modicum of control.

College football is better now then it ever was. Its a year round sport, similar to the NFL. Nebraska just had another disappointing season, but now we get to look forward to seeing what players we can get from the portal. Recruiting is a year round process, with two signing days. Spring is similar to mini camp and highly reported on. In the summer we hear about camps or possible late additions from the portal. Even with how bad Nebraska has been, I have consistently had hope that the next year was going to better.

Conference realignment has been exciting. I have mixed thoughts on NIL, but if you have 9 million people watching a game, networks paying billions of dollars and media fans praising/criticizing players, the players probably deserve some of the spoils. There are pros and cons to transfer portal, but has generated alot of excitement.

While the sport seems top heavy, we had Cincinnati in the playoff last year and Washington, which was 4-8 2 years ago , has a chance to win it all this year. Next year 12 teams can get in. Gives hope to every program that they may have a chance if have right coach and players.

I would love to see a split with the top 64 teams vying for championship and a second lower tier vying for its own championship. I think this could be a reality and actually help viewership. If UNLV v. Tulane was for a lower tier national championship, instead of the Weed Eater Bowl, I think you would get a lot of viewers.

College football is a lot like ordering a favorite meal at a restaurant you like: the decorations in the restaurant may change, the ingredients in the food and where the ingredients come from may have changed, the cooks and servers may have changed, but if the meal is still delicious and you keep coming back and ordering it, has anything really changed?
The price?

The meal tastes the same but now costs more. The game is the same but the fan now pays more so their team can keep up with the others.

lol, I got mad? I asked you a question, do you view all questions as getting mad?
Yea he does. I’ve been a part of this board for 3 years as a member and him and OklahomaHusker or whatever his name is, used to be some of my favorite posters. Over the past year or two they’ve become bitter and angry posters who lash out when challenged. It’s kinda childish but hey like they always say it’s a message board that’s what it’s here for. Apparently that means out of touch older men who cry for the way things used to be can vent to each other.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back