• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Press Conferece 3:30

TO gambled on Doc and Doc gambled that this would be his best year
it wasn't
(Liked that TO said "gambled" as he is opposed to gambling)

Last edited:

- Tom says this may have been toughest thing he has done as AD; decided to make change in basketball program.
- Tom thought this would be his best team.
- Gave contract extension to help with recruiting, assistant raise in past, strength coach last year.
- Injuries hurt, schedule difficult in new league adjusting to new style of play.
- Both Tom and Doc gambled on this being a good year and didn't work out that way.
- Reason for change: Comes a point in program where either build momentum and things get brighter or you lose momentum and recruiting gets more and more difficult. Sustaining program then comes more difficult. Thought we would be on different trajectory.
- Not Doc's fault. Many things transpired to get to this point.
- Lost momentum and enthusiasm in fan base; change was in order.
- Responsibility lies with Tom. Facilities earlier, private aircraft (thought we had fixed that(, way we recruit (but that is usually up to coach).
- Been here five years, says he is at fault as well.
- Likes Doc and staff.
- Doc employable. Will land on his feet, same with assistants. Will do anything to help; will recommend.

Tom's opening statement “I refuse to let this program gravitate to a level of mediocrity.”

I have no idea why I have a soft spot for this guy. Never met him, rarely heard him speak. I agree his product has been terrible. I wish it would have worked out for him here.

He never really came off as a shyster whenever I heard him speak...consensus seems to be he's a genuinely good guy who just couldn't get things done here.

Nicely done, T.O. A shame you had to extend his contract in error, but at least you realized your mistake and made amends. Nice to see T.O. agrees with the majority -- just as he did with Mike Anderson.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back