• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Preliminary Chubba Mea Culpa Acknolwedgement

It'd be great if he starts to get it and is a part of the qb competition next year. But I don't know if it's an enormous loss if he's not.

He looked much better, especially early, against Wisconsin than I expected. He's got legitimate passing skills and better wheels than I thought. I'd like to see him stick. What I definitely don't want is to have the only returning QB on the roster with playing time in this offense under his belt be Haarberg. Kids a gamer and will do whatever he can to help the team win, but we need to be able to throw the ball effectively when we want or have to.

If Chubba plays great and sees a window to win the job next year, he may not go. Doubt HH goes anywhere. Sims is gone. I truly think this game dictates Chubba's destination next year. Then again, he may be using this to opportunity to generate interest so he can leave anyway. Really curious where his head is at.

I'm wondering the same.

He's a RS Soph, but I believe he'll graduate this year. Would be odd to see a grad transfer with two years to play, but that's on the table. I'm interested to see how he plays Friday and if we win.....how he plays in the bowl. I have no idea what his feeling is about staying, leaving, etc. If he truly hasn't played much this year because he's been battling an injury, I don't know how that affects his thought process either.

Last edited:
More than a few people on this board thought that HH was our answer. That turned out to be wrong, sadly. Not sure if Purdy will be either. I wasn't impressed with Satterfield when he was here at SC and am still not. Purdy can play well and we still not win if there isn't a better game plan against Iowa than what we've seen. Need to play a complete game to win against their stout D.

I’m not comparing him to TM, only that his burst looked like he had a touch of that aspect in him. Speed. I’ve read he runs a sub 4.5 when healthy. That’s pretty fast. He separated quickly.

Chubba should get better and better with reps. He’s got some serious tools to build with. Not sure I agree about Wisconsin being solid, as there really isn’t a solid team in this division. Wisconsin has been drubbed a bit lately, including by Northwestern.
I think it depends on what your definition of solid is. Wisconsin isn't a great team, but they could hold their own against most competition, which we've seen throughout the season. The division as a whole is pretty weak, but the teams that are in it aren't pushovers. They scrap and compete and don't roll over.

He’s gotta little ‘Taylor Martinez’ quickness about himself. Stronger arm, but yet to see on consistency throwing it. Too small sample size to judge, other than there is some serious tools to ywork with.
Easy to look quicker when he’s playing in his 2nd game against and with guys playing in their 10th or 11th game. Quicker, fresher and less limited.

I'm wondering the same.

He's a RS Soph, but I believe he'll graduate this year. Would be odd to see a grad transfer with two years to play, but that's on the table. I'm interested to see how he plays Friday and if we win.....how he plays in the bowl. I have no idea what his feeling is about staying, leaving, etc. If he truly hasn't played much this year because he's been battling an injury, I don't know how that affects his thought process either.
The argument against any of them leaving would be having to go somewhere and start from scratch learning a new system. Purdy transferred from FSU and got thrown on the backburner for almost two years. Does he want to risk transferring again and possibly get lost in the shuffle again? Haarberg is playing somewhere that has shown to cater to his strengths. Would you want to go somewhere else and possibly ride the pine because you struggle passing in a more pass heavy offense?

I'm not sure where Sims is at mentally. He again showed some flashes in the Maryland game, but I wonder if the turnovers have affected him mentally. At this point, I almost wonder if he is content being the backup and riding out the rest of his eligibility.

Sims is playing the wrong position imo.

I believe he would (or would have been) be a very good "big" receiver or TE.

Probably too late for any type of transition though.

Last edited:
If he truly hasn't played much this year because he's been battling an injury, I don't know how that affects his thought process either.

I can’t believe if he has battled through injury and the staff, to their credit, has stuck with him, thst he would have ill feelings about staying.
I have continuously seen him running 3rd team, yet still playing. Didn’t play a down with the 1st unit in spring game and yet played every bit as much as the other QBs. (Injuries holding him out through spring setting him back? Perhaps but seems he was working with second units of split practice) When Sims went down vs Colorado Purdy came in after Haarberg, yet didn’t last more than a play. Injury? Perhaps makes sense here if he felt he couldn’t go… but 1 play??? Did he ever not dress?
It will be quit interest to see how it plays out. How he could be anything other than the only option in the room right now is beyond me. But of course the fans certainly can’t know more than the coaches…can they? How purdy has even been suited up and not playing with Sims being what he’s been and Heinrich regressing after being our entire offense essentially for a few games. Why was Purdy not an option if he was suiting up? We may never get a good answer.
Chubba looked nothing like the QB that was forced into play last year in Madison.(interestingly enough the numbers resemble thst of his time playing competently at FSU…."mshrug:) was he not prepared last year….?
So many things do not add up from the things we see. And yet we still don’t know that Chubba/offense can back it up. Take out the first 2 drives, he still looked unquestionably better than Sims/Haarberg but zeros til the click ran out.
Friday will be extremely interesting.

More than a few people on this board thought that HH was our answer. That turned out to be wrong,
Heinrich Haarberg was without question the answer (unless the coaches were sitting on a competent QB but refused to play him.) Heinrich was the entire offense thst got us in the win column. I don’t recall anyone thinking that Heinrich was the second coming, but more like anything has to be better than 5/6 TO…. And he was. Did we have a better solution in the room? Purdy? That is a terrible thought about our QB/OC if Haarberg was the selection over what we saw in Madison.

I wonder if, at the time, Haarberg was the answer. But after the all of the hits that he took, did the question change? Like, what extra aches and pains was Haarberg experiencing that changed his abilities? Was the groin injury that Purdy had/has bad enough to keep him out of a game?

I wonder if, at the time, Haarberg was the answer. But after the all of the hits that he took, did the question change? Like, what extra aches and pains was Haarberg experiencing that changed his abilities? Was the groin injury that Purdy had/has bad enough to keep him out of a game?
Neither of them looked good early in the season. I'm not sure we will ever know all the whys but I think the MN loss followed by CU, made everybody pucker and play tight all of Sept.

I'm wondering the same.

They talked about him needing off season surgery. So how does that affect going or staying?

Does he get surgery and then say I'm going into the portal, and what affect would surgery have on teams willing to take a shot at him.

Does he go in the portal only to find new teams don't really want to have him go through the surgery because he'll miss so much time when he needs to adjust to a new team.

Sims is playing the wrong position imo.

I believe he would (or would have been) be a very good "big" receiver or TE.

Probably too late for any type of transition though.
I'm probably wrong, exwife always tells me that anyway,
sims should check his gear in, call it, get your degree, move on

They talked about him needing off season surgery. So how does that affect going or staying?

Does he get surgery and then say I'm going into the portal, and what affect would surgery have on teams willing to take a shot at him.

Does he go in the portal only to find new teams don't really want to have him go through the surgery because he'll miss so much time when he needs to adjust to a new team.

I really don't know, but I do think how Friday plays out might be a big part of how both sides of the equation look at this.

I can’t believe if he has battled through injury and the staff, to their credit, has stuck with him, thst he would have ill feelings about staying.
I have continuously seen him running 3rd team, yet still playing. Didn’t play a down with the 1st unit in spring game and yet played every bit as much as the other QBs. (Injuries holding him out through spring setting him back? Perhaps but seems he was working with second units of split practice) When Sims went down vs Colorado Purdy came in after Haarberg, yet didn’t last more than a play. Injury? Perhaps makes sense here if he felt he couldn’t go… but 1 play??? Did he ever not dress?
It will be quit interest to see how it plays out. How he could be anything other than the only option in the room right now is beyond me. But of course the fans certainly can’t know more than the coaches…can they? How purdy has even been suited up and not playing with Sims being what he’s been and Heinrich regressing after being our entire offense essentially for a few games. Why was Purdy not an option if he was suiting up? We may never get a good answer.
Chubba looked nothing like the QB that was forced into play last year in Madison.(interestingly enough the numbers resemble thst of his time playing competently at FSU…."mshrug:) was he not prepared last year….?
So many things do not add up from the things we see. And yet we still don’t know that Chubba/offense can back it up. Take out the first 2 drives, he still looked unquestionably better than Sims/Haarberg but zeros til the click ran out.
Friday will be extremely interesting.

I think his biggest issue has always been health. He wasn't healthy last year to start the season, which put him behind in preparation and wasn't practicing much. Whipple threw him to the dogs and it didn't go well. This year he was injured in Fall Camp and I suspect he's suited up as an emergency player all year. If he plays well against Iowa, you have to think there will be a mutual desire that he returns and a high likelihood that he'll be in the mix to start next year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back