• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Preliminary Chubba Mea Culpa Acknolwedgement

We just saw the best half of QB play we have had all year. Will it extend into the second half we will have to see

It is about time for those who adamantly professed that Chubba is awful and has no DNA connection to his brother need to get ready to open the mouth and eat dirt.

If you are lucky those of us supporting Chubba will be proven wrong in the second half but then you would have to root against the huskers.
I'll eat my crow. His play on Saturday is the best start to finish performance we've gotten from a QB all season. I think his lack of playing this season reared its head on some of the delay of game/burning timeouts stuff, but otherwise he played very well.

That said, there wasn't anything I saw last year that would indicate he could play at that level. Saturday's performance was the most yards he's had in a game in his four year college career. He took a major step up. Credit to his hard work and the coaching staff.

I'm never going to cheer against us so I can be right. I hope Chubba continues to prove my previous statements wrong. Hope he plays like a Heisman candidate on Friday.

He’s gotta little ‘Taylor Martinez’ quickness about himself. Stronger arm, but yet to see on consistency throwing it. Too small sample size to judge, other than there is some serious tools to ywork with.
I don't like throwing around the "Taylor Martinez quickness" comp. Taylor's quickness, especially prior to his injuries, is at a level we've seen very few times in college football.

I will say that Purdy's top end speed surprised me on the touchdown run. I was expecting him to slide when he broke back toward the middle of the field, but he pulled away from the defenders instead.

The most important thing he did was put the ball in places where receivers could make a play. No ten yard overthrows, no balls thrown behind a crossing receiver. He doesn't have to make spectacular plays, just keep the offense moving. He played well enough for us to win against a solid Wisconsin team.

The remaining question is can he build on the strong start? Chubba, like many of our kids, was not ready to play last year, but was thrust into it anyway. Chubba, unlike Bryce Benhart, turner Corcoran, cam Jurgens… was able to go back to the sidelines and prepare for better opportunity. Jurgens improved and slowly started limiting bad snaps enough to be drafted quit high, go sit on the eagle bench for a growing season and move in along Kelce because the eagles had to get him on the field. Benhart has been the quietest linemen on the team this year (clearly indicating his growth) and Turner, if he could ever get bumped inside I’m guessing would surprise with visible growth as well.
Playing young inexperienced players exposes their worts. (Worts they very well may grow out of…shocking I know) If brook berringer had to play as a young, inexperienced freshman/sophomore I’m guessing his legacy would be much different. Not saying it doesn’t end the same way, but there is no recollection of poor play as there will always be for Jurgens bad snaps. We will never forget the bad snaps, even when we forget the athleticism snd growth he showed.

I'll eat my crow. His play on Saturday is the best start to finish performance we've gotten from a QB all season. I think his lack of playing this season reared its head on some of the delay of game/burning timeouts stuff, but otherwise he played very well.

That said, there wasn't anything I saw last year that would indicate he could play at that level. Saturday's performance was the most yards he's had in a game in his four year college career. He took a major step up. Credit to his hard work and the coaching staff.

I'm never going to cheer against us so I can be right. I hope Chubba continues to prove my previous statements wrong. Hope he plays like a Heisman candidate on Friday.
Given the godawful QB play we had all year, my pushback on those who said CP is no better than JS and HH is how in the heck could he play worse than what we have experienced this year.

I imagine we would have seen him sooner this season but for his groin injury. I am truly looking forward to Iowa game and I expect we will score 17-21 points and that should do it

Given the godawful QB play we had all year, my pushback on those who said CP is no better than JS and HH is how in the heck could he play worse than what we have experienced this year.

I imagine we would have seen him sooner this season but for his groin injury. I am truly looking forward to Iowa game and I expect we will score 17-21 points and that should do it
They've stayed pretty quiet about his injuries most of the season, outside of a brief mention that he wasn't healthy. I'm not sure how much more productive he was than the other two, but he certainly did a better job taking care of the football. Even when HH didn't turn the ball over, he had a couple passes a game where it could have been picked. Purdy did a good job of putting the ball where it needed to be. At that point, it is up to our receivers to step up and make plays.

If we can score 21 points, you'd think that we'd win, given how much their offense has struggled and how well our defense has played. If we can take care of the football, I like our chances to win. That said, that's asking a lot from the most turnover prone team in college football.

Based on what? Next season we will have a much better OL, WR's and likely better RB and TE play.

Chubba has equivalent of maybe 2 games experience in past two years. I thought he looked good last night and could be very effective

Our defense next year will be lights out and if the offense can average 28 points per game we win 9 to 11 games
Although I agree that Chubba played above and beyond our expectations, especially with his ball discipline, there is a little thing called "tape" that gets circulated around. Although it is limited, it is now clear how Satt will use him this week. Wisconsin had no idea what to expect. The cats out of the bag now. Let's see how Purdy handles what Iowa plans to throw at him.

I was super happy for the kid and hope he continues growing as a QB. But I'm not sold on him just yet. We scored 3 points in the last 3.5 quarters after those quick scores.

Last edited:

Although I agree that Chubba played above and beyond our expectations, especially with his ball discipline, there is a little thing called "tape" that gets circulated around. Although it is limited, it is now clear how Satt will use him this week. Wisconsin had no idea what to expect. The cats out of the bag now. Let's see how Purdy handles what Iowa plans to throw at him.

I was super happy for the kid and hope he continues growing as a QB. But I'm not sold on him just yet. We scored 3 points in the last 3.5 quarters after those quick scores.
Proof is in the pudding for sure. CP has had one game and we need him to show he will protect the ball, be able to identify at least his second option in his progression and complete 60-65% of his passes.
What is clear is HH and JS should never start a game again at QB. How CP plays will dictate whether we going after 1 to 3 QB' in the portal

I don't like throwing around the "Taylor Martinez quickness" comp. Taylor's quickness, especially prior to his injuries, is at a level we've seen very few times in college football.

I will say that Purdy's top end speed surprised me on the touchdown run. I was expecting him to slide when he broke back toward the middle of the field, but he pulled away from the defenders instead.

The most important thing he did was put the ball in places where receivers could make a play. No ten yard overthrows, no balls thrown behind a crossing receiver. He doesn't have to make spectacular plays, just keep the offense moving. He played well enough for us to win against a solid Wisconsin team.
I’m not comparing him to TM, only that his burst looked like he had a touch of that aspect in him. Speed. I’ve read he runs a sub 4.5 when healthy. That’s pretty fast. He separated quickly.

Chubba should get better and better with reps. He’s got some serious tools to build with. Not sure I agree about Wisconsin being solid, as there really isn’t a solid team in this division. Wisconsin has been drubbed a bit lately, including by Northwestern.

All fair.

I'd also add that he's likely going to get better with more experience and a healthy supporting cast. That's not going to happen between now and Iowa. I'm perfectly fine pumping the brakes on where he's at and his future in the QB room, but if he comes out and lights Iowa up on Friday, I think I have to be impressed.

All fair.

I'd also add that he's likely going to get better with more experience and a healthy supporting cast. That's not going to happen between now and Iowa. I'm perfectly fine pumping the brakes on where he's at and his future in the QB room, but if he comes out and lights Iowa up on Friday, I think I have to be impressed.
I will be THOROUGHLY impressed if he comes out and plays better than last week - or even on the same level, to be honest. He still struggles with locking onto his first option, so I'm certain Iowa is going to give him different looks to confuse him. Additionally, Chubba is used to seeing the 3-3-5 in practice, so I'm wondering if there was a level of comfort for him. I feel we need 20 points from the offense, which for any other team is nothing. For us, that is a huge ask.

This week speaks volumes in terms of what this QB room looks like next year.

I will be THOROUGHLY impressed if he comes out and plays better than last week - or even on the same level, to be honest. He still struggles with locking onto his first option, so I'm certain Iowa is going to give him different looks to confuse him. Additionally, Chubba is used to seeing the 3-3-5 in practice, so I'm wondering if there was a level of comfort for him. I feel we need 20 points from the offense, which for any other team is nothing. For us, that is a huge ask.

This week speaks volumes in terms of what this QB room looks like next year.

Even if Chubba plays really well, this QB room will be completely different next year. Just my 10 cent opinion, but I don't see Sims back, and I think there will be at least 1 portal qb, maybe 2. Rhule knows he can't go through another season with a QB situation like this.

Even if Chubba plays really well, this QB room will be completely different next year. Just my 10 cent opinion, but I don't see Sims back, and I think there will be at least 1 portal qb, maybe 2. Rhule knows he can't go through another season with a QB situation like this.
If Chubba plays great and sees a window to win the job next year, he may not go. Doubt HH goes anywhere. Sims is gone. I truly think this game dictates Chubba's destination next year. Then again, he may be using this to opportunity to generate interest so he can leave anyway. Really curious where his head is at.

If Chubba plays great and sees a window to win the job next year, he may not go. Doubt HH goes anywhere. Sims is gone. I truly think this game dictates Chubba's destination next year. Then again, he may be using this to opportunity to generate interest so he can leave anyway. Really curious where his head is at.

It'd be great if he starts to get it and is a part of the qb competition next year. But I don't know if it's an enormous loss if he's not.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back