• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Potential D1 Transfers

Disagree. This is how Miles has built his success at programs, and how Hoiberg has done it at Iowa State. This is essential in the first few years in my opinion until we establish ourselves...

Occasionally you take a transfer...early in a tenure or late...but it's rare to build a solid program on transfers. ISU is an exception...it's almost become THE destination for transfers.

You have to sit them for a year anyway...so, unless you can't get HS kids you're better off building on HS kids.

Last edited:
Looks like Temple transfer Anthony Lee has trimmed his list to Ohio State, Louisville, Iowa State, Notre Dame, and Indiana...

There will start to be a ton of guys becoming known in the next few weeks. Indiana's Etherington is transferring but I don't believe we would be interested in him.
He will graduate in May and go to Indiana State to play with younger brother who is a freshmen.

The occasional transfer is okay. In today's game there are so many coaching changes and schools that aren't a good fit. I think unless it is a long defender, Coach Miles will go with high school players for the most part.

I'm not saying take a recruiting class full of D1 transfers. But we will take one this year and maybe the year after...

Anyone else see what Louisville is bringing in? Wow...

Good article on Hoiberg that includes some of his philosophy on transfers.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rg-is-the-hottest-basketball-coach-in-america

Hoiberg had spent a majority of his time in Minnesota scouting and helping build the roster. Spend enough time on that side of the business, and you learn quickly that no one can win without players.

The front-office side of Hoiberg's brain quickly started putting together a plan for how he would rebuild when Pollard came to visit him, and before he would take the job, he needed to know Iowa State would support his vision.

Hoiberg told Pollard: "If I'm going to coach at Iowa State, I want to beat KU. But to beat KU, I've got to have the same talent as KU. And I can't get that talent right now out of high school. The 4- and 5-star players, they're not going to choose Iowa State today. Would you be comfortable if I found the right transfers?"

Pollard agreed immediately.

"I was very comfortable with that because I felt that Fred had enough stake in the game locally that he wasn't going to bring in renegades that were going to tarnish his name," Pollard said. "He would be very calculated with who he brought in."

The Cyclones are no longer leaning on transfers as heavily as they did the past two seasons—five of their top seven were signed out of high school—but Hoiberg knows he can fill a hole or two each offseason with transfers, and he doesn't have to worry about them screwing up his team dynamic.

The first group made that possible. The No. 1 target for Hoiberg when he got the job was Royce White, a player who grew up in Minnesota and signed with the Gophers out of high school.

The added benefit of the transfer having to redshirt is, it makes your scout team better. Not the end of the bench guys. I think back to the comments about Petteway last year. Gives the starters better talent to work against. The way Coach Miles runs his program takes plenty of strategic planning for the future. What will the player give him in the future, not just the following year.

Pitino is bringing in some TALL players!!

I'm not saying take a recruiting class full of D1 transfers. But we will take one this year and maybe the year after...

Anyone else see what Louisville is bringing in? Wow...

THen there is the graduated transfer who can go to a new school without sitting out for his last year of eligibility. Don't konw who is out there. But.....

Occasionally you take a transfer...early in a tenure or late...but it's rare to build a solid program on transfers. ISU is an exception...it's almost become THE destination for transfers.

You have to sit them for a year anyway...so, unless you can't get HS kids you're better off building on HS kids.
I am with *** on this one (hard for me to say). I too, disagree with this statement. College basketball has seen and will see a lot more movement of players such as what you have at Iowa State.

Luke Fischer left Indiana and transferred to Marquette is an example. Most programs don't build their roster around that philosophy but many have active movements in their rosters year over year.

Tim Wagner, the walk-on from Wisconsin is rumored to be considering a transfer - either to D2 Winona State (back near home) or possibly to USD following Coach Smith.

THen there is the graduated transfer who can go to a new school without sitting out for his last year of eligibility. Don't konw who is out there. But.....

There will be a list of 400 players or so looking to transfer that will include the graduated guys. I think we will take a long look there for a graduated center type. If he isn't there, or there is no mutual interest, we'll grab someone that just wasn't clicking with his coach somewhere...

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back