• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Possible B1G Divisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we go to 16 teams, we are looking at 4 divisions with 4 teams in each!

I'm trying to wrap my head around how this would work. It would be great for basketball, though. So in football, would you create essentially a "Conference Semifinals" where the winners of the 4 divisions meet and are seeded based on record, head-to-head, etc.? Then the next week you'd have the CCG? It could work, but it would require some tricky scheduling.

You'd schedule 12 games like you do now, but the 12th game is labeled as TBA. Half the teams are given home games, and half the teams are on the road. The 4 teams that win their division would play each other, and the other 12 would be matched up based on home/road setups and no rematches. This is way too radical for FBS football, but it does work in the lower divisions that have large conferences and there isn't a built in date into the schedule for CCG's.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how this would work. It would be great for basketball, though. So in football, would you create essentially a "Conference Semifinals" where the winners of the 4 divisions meet and are seeded based on record, head-to-head, etc.? Then the next week you'd have the CCG? It could work, but it would require some tricky scheduling.

You'd schedule 12 games like you do now, but the 12th game is labeled as TBA. Half the teams are given home games, and half the teams are on the road. The 4 teams that win their division would play each other, and the other 12 would be matched up based on home/road setups and no rematches. This is way too radical for FBS football, but it does work in the lower divisions that have large conferences and there isn't a built in date into the schedule for CCG's.

I addressed this is a post called 14 or 16 team league, which do you prefer? Or something like that.

Anyway, it's a quadrant system where each 4 team quadrant is combined with one of the other three each season, to create a pair of 8 team divisions. You have one crossover. There ends up being 4 teams you play 100% of the time, 2 teams you play 50% of the time, and the 9 others you play a third of the time on a 6 year cycle.

There are six tier one programs in the Big Ten. Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Penn State. The most important thing is that those six programs have to be divided equally between the two divisions. Geography has to take a back seat to dividing up those programs. I would divvy the programs up as follows:

East

Nebraska
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Northwestern
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois

West

Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Rutgers
Purdue
Maryland
Indiana

This would be my choice...cuz I like things simple. PSU could drop to the MSU level for a few years which would make the divisions fairly even. If PSU becomes the Beast of the East again and MICH regains top form this would be too heavy to the East...good for NU and WI though. :thumbsup:

If we go to 16 teams, we are looking at 4 divisions with 4 teams in each!

I like this plan. It creates a BIG playoff within the current system. Plenty of excitement and interest. But you are probably right, it is too radical for FBS and I wouldn't look for it to happen in the near future.

There are six tier one programs in the Big Ten. Nebraska, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Penn State. The most important thing is that those six programs have to be divided equally between the two divisions. Geography has to take a back seat to dividing up those programs. I would divvy the programs up as follows:

East

Nebraska
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Northwestern
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois

West

Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Rutgers
Purdue
Maryland
Indiana

While geographically sound from a fan perspective ... I think there is a detriment on Husker recruiting with a division breakdown that does not gives us consistent access to Michigan, Ohio, New Jersey and/or Maryland.

my thought as well; they should make Rutgers or Maryland our crossover opponent

I'd love it to be Maryland as that would make a "Home game" for meevery other year. The problem is that Maryland doesn't have the chops. If Mich/OSU play every year, they're not going to let NU play MD.

but if PSU does indeed "go away" you know they will want a different cross over for NU. Rutgers would be okay as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back