• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Portal wants/needs

Oh gosh a bunch more mercenaries? I can't keep up with who's wearing our jerseys anymore.

How about we just roll out a bucket of shirts and cheer for the laundry?

This is CFB now. Nebraska, and Husker fans, need to adapt to it. Either that, or the program can remain irrelevant. CU is the "poster child" but most of the best CFB teams are taking advantage of the portal. USC brought in 26 players this year. Transfers accounted for 310 of the 311 yards of offense FSU had against Clemson.

As one CFB coach said of Clemson (which hasn't brought in anybody significant because Dabo's opposed to it) not taking full advantage of the portal means you have to "hit" on every single HS recruit you sign. Nobody has a success rate like that. Furthermore, regardless of what a coaching staff does you're going to lose some players to the portal.

Not taking full advantage of the portal is purposefully putting a program behind. That's grounds for a coach (and the AD) to be fired.

Last edited:

This is CFB now. Nebraska, and Husker fans, need to adapt to it. Either that, or the program can remain irrelevant. CU is the "poster child" but most of the best CFB teams are taking advantage of the portal. USC brought in 26 players this year. Transfers accounted for 310 of the 311 yards of offense FSU had against Clemson.

As one CFB coach said of Clemson (which hasn't brought in anybody significant because Dabo's opposed to it) not taking full advantage of the portal means you have to "hit" on every single HS recruit you sign. Nobody has a success rate like that. Furthermore, regardless of what a coaching staff does you're going to lose some players to the portal.

Not taking full advantage of the portal is purposefully putting a program behind. That's grounds for a coach (and the AD) to be fired.
Hmm
Wr, three transfers, o line, two transfers, rb one transfer. Lb, three transfers, d backfield two? Transfers. D line two transfers?
Thats our two deep off the top of my head, likely missed more.

Yep, we have to get used to it.

QB, Offensive linemen and defensive rush end.

Unless the NCAA rule denying waivers for multiple transfers is struck down (which it could, and should, be) Sims isn't going anywhere even if Haarberg remains the starter. Neither are Purdy, Woche and Longval. Rhule's gotten a commitment from pro-style HS QB Daniel Kaelin. That's potentially six QBs next year. No way Rhule goes and gets a seventh QB.

I thought Rhule said he didn't plan on using the portal to rebuild? At least that's what someone mentioned earlier

Look at what Duke has done using the portal as well.

We need to change our ratio of hs to portal kids. Having two o linemen, one rb, one qb, two wrs, thats our starting O. Cut that in half.

I thought Rhule said he didn't plan on using the portal to rebuild? At least that's what someone mentioned earlier

But as I keep pointing out, the portal comes with serious costs too.
Colorado has little room this year to help them next year, remove the growth you'd see from hs kids, they won't get that much better comparatively and stuck with a small recruiting class and a disrupted roster build.

Rhule hasn't specifically said that as far as I know. What he did say is that he believes "culture" is important. He made that comment in response to something Sanders said. I think he may have also made a comment about having to consider why guys left their previous program, but I'm not sure. He's wrong if he thinks players leaving necessarily says anything negative about them. A player leaving is no more a negative character trait than coaches who leave for another job.

What I think Rhule was getting at is that with a lot of transfers it's difficult to establish the communication and timing necessary (partcularly on the OL and between the QB and WRs) that a team needs to win. I think he's wrong on that. Colorado's shown that it's possible to turnover a bunch of players even after spring practice and still play well in the fall. You just have to have players and coaches who are putting in the work.

Also, I don't think winning necessarily comes from a "good culture." It can happen the other way too. Winning can create a good team culture among a bunch of guys who haven't been together long.

Last edited:

This year will be significantly different than the rest of HCMRs time here, sure there will be losses and additions but nothing like this year.

Transfer portal and get out the checkbook (NIL). That is what it's all about today. Everyone is a free agent.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back