• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Portal talk

That makes sense. But, the other side of the coin is that if they make a quick decision with the Dec timeframe, they can enroll at the new school for the winter semester and then participate in spring ball - which is huge for a player joining a new team.

The coaches must have driven there, I don't think they took a jet (not saying how I know this lol)
I read some donor wanted to give the university a million dollar jet so the coaches could use it for recruiting. Maybe they took it for a test drive to see if they liked it.

That makes sense. But, the other side of the coin is that if they make a quick decision with the Dec timeframe, they can enroll at the new school for the winter semester and then participate in spring ball - which is huge for a player joining a new team.

Yes, which the Jan 1 thru 15 time frame would allow. Certainly, a college player could be having private conversations with a new team during the season - no harm in that - but this business of depleted teams going to bowls kind of spoils everything.

We aren't even completing the current season when players are announcing departures to other teams for next season, and on and on it goes.

I am all about the transfer portal, but the current design of it is really affecting the quality of college football, and the paying fans and sponsors are getting ripped off. A team can have a perfectly acceptable season, be going to a nice bowl, but suddenly shy 15 players because they are "transferring." And there are two windows - one after the CFP teams are announced that lasts 30 days, and the other, from April 15-30.

I think an athlete ought to have to "pick their poison" and put their name in the portal between January 1 and January 15 each year - two weeks. That doesn't mean the player only has two weeks to pick a school, but his name is in the portal and accounted for by his current school. The player may decide NOT to transfer, but at least the coach knows it is a strong possibility they are leaving and can manage their roster accordingly. And the current season/bowl isn't spoiled for everyone.

Thoughts?
So a player that gets beat out for a starting spot in spring ball is locked in, with no option to move on?

If you read this paragraph near the end of the article, it’s pretty clear that Day was saying - we’re moving on.
"When you come up short, the bottom line is you got to look at everything, because you didn't get it done, and that's the thing that is just sobering here," Day said. "At 11-1, you come up short on the last possession, it's just not good enough. So you got to look at everything, and we will look at everything."
I missed that, I will have to go back and read it again, yep it's in there I missed it the writer didn't specifically state it, but yes it's implied.

Day was noncommittal about McCord's status as the team's starter when asked about it Sunday.

"When you come up short, the bottom line is you got to look at everything, because you didn't get it done, and that's the thing that is just sobering here," Day said. "At 11-1, you come up short on the last possession, it's just not good enough. So you got to look at everything, and we will look at everything."

Last edited:

Work harder over the summer and earn some playing time. If it doesn't work out, then transfer after the season. This has become ridiculous.
That ship has sailed. I'm sure that an attempt to reverse it would result in a restraint of trade lawsuit.

i think it's a safe assumption that they didn't fly considering none of the private jets the program uses have the off road tires needed to be able to land on the dirt runway in Manhattan, KS.
They actually have a runway? I was told they use a long, straight stretch of gravel road north of town that they cordon off when needed…

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back