• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Portal talk

Why would any QB who was recruited by the top 5-10 teams in the country enter the portal and then choose Nebraska? NIL money? The top schools all have that as well.

Playing time? Sure, but that was a likely scenario when they were initially being recruited and they didn't pick Nebraska then either.

A lot of dreamers here. But I hope the team is able to solve the QB problem because it is a big problem.

Last edited:

The coaches must have driven there, I don't think they took a jet (not saying how I know this lol)

Matt and the boys drove the Husker 18 Wheeler down there and parked it on Howard's front lawn.

0d04a2bd70f81aaeff8ccfe654786941.jpg

Why would any QB who was recruited by the top 5-10 teams in the country enter the portal and then choose Nebraska? NIL money? The top schools all have that as well.

Playing time? Sure, but that was a likely scenario when they were initially being recruited and they didn't pick Nebraska then either.

A lot of dreamers here. But I hope the team is able to solve the QB problem because it is a big problem.
Sad part is you know he's not leaving the program to up his NFL status, or for a starting position as he won that job at a team with only one loss, this has to be purely NIL based decision imo, one and done make 3-5 million before he enters the Draft next year.

Based on this article, it sounds to me like Coach Day told McCord that he wasn't good enough and that they were moving on to another QB next year.
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...tarting-qb-kyle-mccord-enters-transfer-portal
Thanks for posting that very interesting!! I did not see that in the article, it does mention he won the starting job and he got better as the year went on, seems to me on my simpleton brain that he would be in the top running for QB1 next year, however my wife tells me I am wrong all the time so this very well could be the case too!! Bless her soul she is a saint for putting up with me!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that very interesting!! I did not see that in the article, it does mention he won the starting job and he got better as the year went on, seems to me on my simpleton brain that he would be in the top running for QB1 next year, however my wife tells me I am wrong all the time so this very well could be the case too!! Bless her soul she is a saint for putting up with me!!!!
If you read this paragraph near the end of the article, it’s pretty clear that Day was saying - we’re moving on.
"When you come up short, the bottom line is you got to look at everything, because you didn't get it done, and that's the thing that is just sobering here," Day said. "At 11-1, you come up short on the last possession, it's just not good enough. So you got to look at everything, and we will look at everything."

Lists of meaningful transfers over the last few years:
  • Billy Kemp- was one of the most productive guys we had, but wasn't a world beater.
  • Josh Fleeks- shows some promise, but again, hasn't jumped off the page.
  • Trey Palmer- one of the best players skill players we've had in recent years.
  • Oshaun Mathis- lot of hype, didn't deliver.
  • Casey Thompson- bad fit given our offensive line struggles.
  • Tommi Hill- has been a valuable player for us.
  • Chubba Purdy- TBD. Was the best QB we put on the field this past year.
  • Samori Toure- Another valuable transfer pickup at the receiver position.
  • Travis Vokolek- Faired okay at the TE spot.
  • Darrion Daniels- strong presence on D-line. Was honorable mention All-B1G.
Those were the guys of note that I saw since 2019. The portal hasn't been super kind to us, but it isn't that we haven't gotten talent from it.

It isn't the quick fix solution for us. It is a tool we have to be able to utilize along with recruiting and developing the guys we do have, to get to where we want to be.
It would be interesting to know the players that left Nebraska what was their success at their new school.

Sad part is you know he's not leaving the program to up his NFL status, or for a starting position as he won that job at a team with only one loss, this has to be purely NIL based decision imo, one and done make 3-5 million before he enters the Draft next year.
Sometimes, young athletes don't want the journey to end. Having yet another year of eligibility is priceless to these athletes. But if they can also make a little cash through NIL, they certainly won't reject that money. It's not always just about money.

If he sees himself as an NFL guy, but doesn't think he is there yet, he may want to go somewhere where the upside "splash" is the greatest. A place like Nebraska, which may be on the verge of a breakthrough, would be just the location to get noticed. If he thinks NE will have the pieces in place for success in the fall, I could see him, or another QB wanting to jump in on that. If Nebraska gets things turned around and on the winning track next year, both Nebraska and the QB who led that turn around will be noticed.

I am all about the transfer portal, but the current design of it is really affecting the quality of college football, and the paying fans and sponsors are getting ripped off. A team can have a perfectly acceptable season, be going to a nice bowl, but suddenly shy 15 players because they are "transferring." And there are two windows - one after the CFP teams are announced that lasts 30 days, and the other, from April 15-30.

I think an athlete ought to have to "pick their poison" and put their name in the portal between January 1 and January 15 each year - two weeks. That doesn't mean the player only has two weeks to pick a school, but his name is in the portal and accounted for by his current school. The player may decide NOT to transfer, but at least the coach knows it is a strong possibility they are leaving and can manage their roster accordingly. And the current season/bowl isn't spoiled for everyone.

Thoughts?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back