• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Player Development...or lack thereof..

Brodeboy87

Recruit
2 Year Member
New to this Forum, but have been a huge fan of this website for years. I thoroughly enjoy alot of your guys' insight on a number of issues with the current state of our beloved program. This post is a catalyst what has plagued this program for 10+ years....player development. Riley couldn't do it, Bo had a hard time with it as well, although he was not a fan of recruiting he recruited Top 25 talent.....now I hate to say it but Callahan could recruit and his staff could develop players as well, his only downfall was Cosgrove and his S&C staff.. With that being said over the last 10 years NU has ranked on avg. 22nd in recruiting rankings....Iowa=49th.....Wisc=40th...….now in those last 10 years Iowa has had 41 players drafted, Wisc has had 42 players drafted...while NU has had 31 players drafted (without having any players last year sniff the draft)…..this is without a doubt what has plagued our program....we cannot develop the talent on our roster....I know im preaching to the choir when I say that we have been outplayed by these teams since our inception into the B1G.....don't tell me we have to get better talent...its clearly there via the class rankings.....you mean to tell me the multiple top 25 classes that we brought in couldn't produce top 25 talent...but Wisc & Iowa have done so ALMOST on an annual basis with their classes.....as a recruit if I saw these numbers I would look elsewhere.....but I will always have faith in the coaching staff and believe in the "process"....the only thing that pisses me off was hearing the coaching staff during the offseason saying that we are a better team than last year....as you all can see that is not the case, in fact ive seen regression (stats don't lie) and I think that's where majority of the grumbling comes from the fan base...….anyways rant over....GBR

Last edited:

All very good points that I do not disagree with. Very nice point made with the tie between recruiting class rank and players drafted being a deterrent to potential recruits. Welcome to the board, my friend!

New to this Forum, but have been a huge fan of this website for years. I thoroughly enjoy alot of your guys' insight on a number of issues with the current state of our beloved program. This post is a catalyst what has plagued this program for 10+ years....player development. Riley couldn't do it, Bo had a hard time with it as well.....now I hate to say it but Callahan could recruit and his staff could develop players as well, his only downfall was Cosgrove. With that being said over the last 10 years NU has ranked on avg. 22nd in recruiting rankings....Iowa=49th.....Wisc=40th...….now in those last 10 years Iowa has had 41 players drafted, Wisc has had 42 players drafted...while NU has had 31 players drafted (without having any players last year sniff the draft)…..this is without a doubt what has plagued our program....we cannot develop the talent on our roster....I know im preaching to the choir when I say that we have been outplayed by these teams since our inception into the B1G.....don't tell me we have to get better talent...its clearly there via the class rankings.....you mean to tell me the multiple top 25 classes that we brought in couldn't produce top 25 talent...but Wisc & Iowa have done so ALMOST on an annual basis with their classes.....as a recruit if I saw these numbers I would look elsewhere.....but I will always have faith in the coaching staff and believe in the "process"....the only thing that pisses me off was hearing the coaching staff during the offseason saying that we are a better team than last year....as you all can see that is not the case, in fact ive seen regression (stats don't lie) and I think that's where majority of the grumbling comes from the fan base...….anyways rant over....GBR
First,welcome aboard.Agree that we have not developed our talent very well.You are correct in that stats don’t lie. I posted in another thread that I hope HCSF will due a very hard and honest look at all the staff in the off season.Keep the faith.GBR.

New to this Forum, but have been a huge fan of this website for years. I thoroughly enjoy alot of your guys' insight on a number of issues with the current state of our beloved program. This post is a catalyst what has plagued this program for 10+ years....player development. Riley couldn't do it, Bo had a hard time with it as well.....now I hate to say it but Callahan could recruit and his staff could develop players as well, his only downfall was Cosgrove. With that being said over the last 10 years NU has ranked on avg. 22nd in recruiting rankings....Iowa=49th.....Wisc=40th...….now in those last 10 years Iowa has had 41 players drafted, Wisc has had 42 players drafted...while NU has had 31 players drafted (without having any players last year sniff the draft)…..this is without a doubt what has plagued our program....we cannot develop the talent on our roster....I know im preaching to the choir when I say that we have been outplayed by these teams since our inception into the B1G.....don't tell me we have to get better talent...its clearly there via the class rankings.....you mean to tell me the multiple top 25 classes that we brought in couldn't produce top 25 talent...but Wisc & Iowa have done so ALMOST on an annual basis with their classes.....as a recruit if I saw these numbers I would look elsewhere.....but I will always have faith in the coaching staff and believe in the "process"....the only thing that pisses me off was hearing the coaching staff during the offseason saying that we are a better team than last year....as you all can see that is not the case, in fact ive seen regression (stats don't lie) and I think that's where majority of the grumbling comes from the fan base...….anyways rant over....GBR
Welcome
How dare you say something nice about Callahan!:)

Last edited:

i wonder if the lack of continuity at NU, in coaching staffs, as well as offensive and defensive schemes has anything at all to do with lack of success of the program?

It costs a lot to switch coaches. Not only do you lose recruits that they've worked to develop and hopefully sign, but you also lose development time by switching, and sometimes you take someone out of the running entirely by switching schemes from different extremes.

We've had the worst of all worlds with our switches.

Power-I-Option to West Coast Offense to continued WCO for a year and then to spread, then to Pro Offense, then back to another kind of spread.

More depth, more talent, more time, more consistency

The most obvious area that shows lack of development is the offensive line. Ever since Raiola and Fonoti left this area has lacked development greatly.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back