• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Player Development...or lack thereof..

It costs a lot to switch coaches. Not only do you lose recruits that they've worked to develop and hopefully sign, but you also lose development time by switching, and sometimes you take someone out of the running entirely by switching schemes from different extremes.

We've had the worst of all worlds with our switches.

Power-I-Option to West Coast Offense to continued WCO for a year and then to spread, then to Pro Offense, then back to another kind of spread.

More depth, more talent, more time, more consistency

Not to mention a switch to the B1G.

It costs a lot to switch coaches. Not only do you lose recruits that they've worked to develop and hopefully sign, but you also lose development time by switching, and sometimes you take someone out of the running entirely by switching schemes from different extremes.

We've had the worst of all worlds with our switches.

Power-I-Option to West Coast Offense to continued WCO for a year and then to spread, then to Pro Offense, then back to another kind of spread.

More depth, more talent, more time, more consistency

the flip side is Suh, who didn’t appear to be a world beater until Pelinis got here

Sorry, I think you are dead wrong about Callahan. Cosgrove was the “who farted?” scapegoat for the rotting corpse in the room. Development was not a strong point of those years. Kennedy was a disaster at S&C after Bailey. There was a good amount of NFL-level athletic talent. Development?

Matt Slauson was a good example of Callahan’s ‘development,’ IMO. Got slower, got fatter. Still got to the league, but he essentially peaked as a Fr or So. How about the secondary under Elmo? Linebackers were slow and got slower.

Joe Ganz maybe?

One of the coaches said before the season that this is a tough business for coaches and if they don’t have their act together they might end up selling trucks at Amarillo Ford. At the time I thought this was ridiculous, because I thought so highly of our staff. Now I’m not so sure. I am weary of hearing about the talent issue when teams who are recruiting way below us keep pounding us year after year.

Sorry, I think you are dead wrong about Callahan. Cosgrove was the “who farted?” scapegoat for the rotting corpse in the room. Development was not a strong point of those years. Kennedy was a disaster at S&C after Bailey. There was a good amount of NFL-level athletic talent. Development?

Matt Slauson was a good example of Callahan’s ‘development,’ IMO. Got slower, got fatter. Still got to the league, but he essentially peaked as a Fr or So. How about the secondary under Elmo? Linebackers were slow and got slower.

Joe Ganz maybe?
Joe Ganz was a gamer who got a raw deal...ill agree to that...but who's Kennedy? You mean Keller?

Joe Ganz maybe?
Literally laughed out loud to the Cosgrove reference that was good..but the talent that Callahan recruited you cant deny...Google it, and who is Kennedy? You mean Keller?

Last edited:

Joe Ganz was a gamer who got a raw deal...ill agree to that...but who's Kennedy? You mean Keller?

Literally laughed out loud to the Cosgrove reference that was good..but the talent that Callahan recruited you cant deny...Google it, and who is Kennedy? You mean Keller?

Dave Kennedy. Head of S&C under Callahan. Replaced Bryan Bailey.

You were touting development of talent under Callahan. I am disagreeing that development was anywhere near great under Callahan. By the time thr majority of players that had gotten coaching had left or graduated, Callahan’s house of cards collapsed. He had no idea how to develop college level athletes. Yes, he recruited raw talent. We are lucky to have avoided Blake’s entanglements during that time, as well.

You were touting development of talent under Callahan. I am disagreeing that development was anywhere near great under Callahan. By the time thr majority of players that had gotten coaching had left or graduated, Callahan’s house of cards collapsed. He had no idea how to develop college level athletes. Yes, he recruited raw talent. We are lucky to have avoided Blake’s entanglements during that time, as well.
10-4 brother.... you make a valid point

i wonder if the lack of continuity at NU, in coaching staffs, as well as offensive and defensive schemes has anything at all to do with lack of success of the program?

You can take this one step further and say lack of continuity in DB coaches, and D coordinators.

Truth. I heard him talk to a fund-raiser; immediately thought he was a used car salesmen. Big sigh of relief when he was no longer on the staff.

Facts. All facts

i wonder if the lack of continuity at NU, in coaching staffs, as well as offensive and defensive schemes has anything at all to do with lack of success of the program?
*** option with all due respect that should have been YES! Top 25 talent is only as good as the coaches, and in the last few years, we have gone through a few. Everyone in the program needs to get better, but let's see where we are when we aren't changing defensive schemes or DB coaches, TE coaches, OL line coaches in a few years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back