• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pellet smokers, Pit Boss?

Just found out that our insurance carrier in our development will no longer provide coverage if open flame devices are allowed on decks. So I'm going to need to ditch our gas grill and invest in an electric grill (I also have a Masterbuilt electric vertical smoker which I may or may not keep, depending on what I buy).

My current favorite is the Recteq Deck Boss 590:

I'm not cooking 5 briskets at a time (just the family meals and occasional guests/visitors) so 590 square inches seems more than adequate. I sear a lot, so the 700 degree max temp is a plus. The stainless steel construction is also something I like. And the price seems reasonable.

Anyone have any negatives I should consider before purchasing this?
Just don't let that electric flame up! Ever!!

Just found out that our insurance carrier in our development will no longer provide coverage if open flame devices are allowed on decks. So I'm going to need to ditch our gas grill and invest in an electric grill (I also have a Masterbuilt electric vertical smoker which I may or may not keep, depending on what I buy).

Deck-Boss-590-Front_1200x1200.jpg

I'm not cooking 5 briskets at a time (just the family meals and occasional guests/visitors) so 590 square inches seems more than adequate. I sear a lot, so the 700 degree max temp is a plus. The stainless steel construction is also something I like. And the price seems reasonable.

But it's OK on a patio?
Build a small patio

I looked at Reqtec and Pit Boss last fall but ended up going with a Grilla Grills OG Alpha. It doesn't take up alot of space and I caught it on sale plus another discount so the price was right. It has a reputation of putting some of the best smoke on meat for a pellet grill (from independent users). I can't compare to other pellet grills since its the only one I have, but I do get nice smoke rings on briskets and ribs. It can be a bit finicky with pellets, but once I dialed it in and got the recommended pellets, I've been very happy with it.
1709604738433.png

never owned one but everything i have seen about them is they are solid stuff.

I looked at Reqtec and Pit Boss last fall but ended up going with a Grilla Grills OG Alpha. It doesn't take up alot of space and I caught it on sale plus another discount so the price was right. It has a reputation of putting some of the best smoke on meat for a pellet grill (from independent users). I can't compare to other pellet grills since its the only one I have, but I do get nice smoke rings on briskets and ribs. It can be a bit finicky with pellets, but once I dialed it in and got the recommended pellets, I've been very happy with it.
View attachment 105395
never seen this brand before.

The Silverbac looks like its a killer Smoker. got wheels to get from the garage to the backyard (walk-out basement, good size hill to go up/down from front to back yard.) it has stainless steel grates which i wont buy a smoker if it doesnt have this.

never seen this brand before.

The Silverbac looks like its a killer Smoker. got wheels to get from the garage to the backyard (walk-out basement, good size hill to go up/down from front to back yard.) it has stainless steel grates which i wont buy a smoker if it doesnt have this.

That is a cool feature. Their customer service has been really good and shipping was quick. Overall, I'm extremely happy with Grilla.

Other than the fact that it's electric?

walked into the local scheels to grab some nitrile gloves and to my surprise, i see recteq for sale there.

I am thinking about getting a pellet smoker.

Was looking into the Pit Boss 820 competition series that is at Menards

Seems like the other 820’s had good reviews vs Traeger and the worst negatives was lack of connectivity, which has been added.

Anyone had any experience with Pit Boss? Comparable to Traeger? Anything better?
You open up a can of worms asking people about their Smoker preferences. Lol.

Here is what I can tell you just in relation to my own experience because you asked specifically about Pitboss vs Traeger. I first bought the Traeger and had a hell of a time getting the wireless working with it. Given the price and the headaches that was giving me, I ended up returning it to go another route and the Pitboss seemed a really good sweet-spot for price/performance and I loved the larger surface area and searing capability (I got the 1150 and not the 850 as more space is worth it for a smoker or pellet grill even if you only rarely need it). I've had it for two years, and have been very happy with it. Only Issue I had was the fan blower stopped working briefly, but I put a little WD-40 on it and it has been smooth every since.

Others have posted other options on their experiences and certainly there are both lower cost alternatives that do an ok job, and more expensive really nice options. But I did a lot of research a couple years back and considered a number of higher end smokers... but I can honestly say have no regrets with returning the Traeger and switching to the Pitboss. It has all the features I could want for a very respectable price plus it can smoke a lot of food at one time, more than most of the competitors (short of at minimum doubling your price-point.) I know there are lemons with any brand and wi-fi smokers are probably more prone to controller issues, but mine has really held up well.

2 cents.

PS> Recteq has been mentioned and if you are willing to open the pocket book a little, that is really solid smoker from everything I read previously. I opted to save the money and go with the pitboss, but I came oh-so-close to going with that brand's XL model.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back