• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pellet smokers, Pit Boss?

@FeelLikeAStranger .
I recently got a master built 1050.

It's charcoal driven, not pellet.

I'm not a fan of pellets.
And this has no auger, easy cleaning.

I use it about every other day, great machine,

View attachment 95719
View attachment 95720
gravity fed smokers seem to be all the rage now. best of both worlds, ease of use such as pellets, but the heart and sole of a offset.

@Smoker have you had any experience with charcoal getting wedged? what charcoal are you using?

I have an older Traeger and I hate it. Constantly flames out at low temp cooks and has huge temp swings. 50 degrees (sometimes more) plus or minus.

They've been redesigned since my model so maybe they've fixed the problems but I probably won't get another one.
so i had a cookshack smokette elite, then a CMG, and now a Traeger timberline 1300. cmg was horrible, constant igniter issues bought around 2017. got the timberline in 2019, loved it ever since. it is their top of the line model and works great. at some point i would love to get a gravity, this year. im tempted by the 1050.

gravity fed smokers seem to be all the rage now. best of both worlds, ease of use such as pellets, but the heart and sole of a offset.

@Smoker have you had any experience with charcoal getting wedged? what charcoal are you using?
I use kingfords. I have used mernards kind and others, they suck. Kingfords only plus the chopped up wood chunks

Last edited:

Oh ya, you asked about charcoal getting wedge,
Has never happened yet,

If you're going to go pellet, I would look at the Blazin Grills series. Built very well, I've used mine for years even in Chicago winters.

@Smoker what size wood chunks and how many can you fit in that charcoal hopper? I'm very interested in going with that (who doesn't need 2 smokers).

Traeger, Green Mountain, Pit Boss…. Theres lots of food smokers out there. Im not sure one is significantly better than others.

Knowing how to use it, and recipe choices are certainly the most important thing with smokers

If you're going to go pellet, I would look at the Blazin Grills series. Built very well, I've used mine for years even in Chicago winters.

@Smoker what size wood chunks and how many can you fit in that charcoal hopper? I'm very interested in going with that (who doesn't need 2 smokers).
Crap, Guess I missed this,
Wood chunks are about 2" square.

You probably already figured it out

I am thinking about getting a pellet smoker.

Was looking into the Pit Boss 820 competition series that is at Menards

Seems like the other 820’s had good reviews vs Traeger and the worst negatives was lack of connectivity, which has been added.

Anyone had any experience with Pit Boss? Comparable to Traeger? Anything better?
Did you end up pulling the trigger?

I was close to getting the Pit Boss 820, but think I'm going to hold out for the Masterbuilt Gravity 800 that comes with the griddle. I'm currently smoking on a Weber kettle that I won't part with so I wouldn't need to have another fuel source plus I was also eyeing a griddle and this can fill that void without adding another piece of kit on my patio. Its probably not the best individually at grilling, smoking, or griddle things, but should be more than adequate as a jack of all trades for my use.

Nope. we bought a house and moved and are selling a house so my little remaining cash is being hoarded until that’s done.

i will be in the market again soon. I now have the outdoor setup to make it work great though.

I have a green egg. super happy with it. Can't handle the volume of other smokers, but temp control with the daisy wheel is pretty dang good. I just leave on days doing a long smoke. I have mainly bought accessories, not replacement parts, as I upgraded from cheap gas grill.

You only regret the green egg the day you pay for it.

Yoder. If it ever needs replaced, which I doubt, I'll get another. Chances are, one of my kids will take it when I'm too demented to remember what it was.

Yoder. If it ever needs replaced, which I doubt, I'll get another. Chances are, one of my kids will take it when I'm too demented to remember what it was.
Good choice - I have a Yoder, too, and will never go back to another brand. It took me some time to get the cooking temperatures right (it’s got a much larger cooking area than my previous smokers), but for quality and features, it’s head and shoulders above the rest. Like you, I expect to keep it for life…

Just found out that our insurance carrier in our development will no longer provide coverage if open flame devices are allowed on decks. So I'm going to need to ditch our gas grill and invest in an electric grill (I also have a Masterbuilt electric vertical smoker which I may or may not keep, depending on what I buy).

My current favorite is the Recteq Deck Boss 590:

Deck-Boss-590-Front_1200x1200.jpg

I'm not cooking 5 briskets at a time (just the family meals and occasional guests/visitors) so 590 square inches seems more than adequate. I sear a lot, so the 700 degree max temp is a plus. The stainless steel construction is also something I like. And the price seems reasonable.

Anyone have any negatives I should consider before purchasing this?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back