• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really funny to me, reporters ask the questions all the time "what makes this so much different than previous years" and you either don't answer it or people blow it way out of proportion. Something as simple as "well, I don't want to go there but it looks like the kids are really having fun this spring with the new staff" could be turned into what a horrible time our players were having. My friend always says "well, don't piss off the media". Partially right, but the journalists need to show some restraint as well.

Riley is here, he has plenty of positives without comparing him to previous regime...

Power of the press, man. And as long as Barfy is selling papers and increasing readers on-line, he doesn't have to show restraint and he certainly doesn't have to take the "high road". I'm guessing he took great personal joy in writing this. Seemed an awful lot like gloating to me. At the same time, if Riley doesn't produce wins at at least the same level as Pelini, he'll be all over Riley for being "too nice".

Who was on Benning's show this AM and said something along the lines of, "It was different this year with adults running the show."

Who's reality?........

Look, you like the guy and tend to ignore many of his shortcomings, that's fine. Others didn't like him and liked to put those negatives under a microscope. There are far too many who personally got to deal with some of those shortcomings for them not to be real, just as there are plenty who got to see some of the great qualities Bo showed in less public ways. Both are reality. No need to question either one.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that Bo cared about the kids in the program, but I also have no doubt that his paranoia and immaturity caused him to teach them some poor life lessons, especially upon his exit.

Call it paranoia or immaturity or what have you, many of his actions were reactions. He lashed out at people when he felt he or the guys he promised to stand in their corner were being done wrong either on the field, in the media, etc..... That is what you want from a coach. For him to be willing to go to war for his players. Now how he handled it, of course most of us would agree wasn't healthy in the long run, but there are also many things that occurred surrounding the players that would cause the players to believe what Bo was "teaching/encouraging" (me against the world) to be true. I was with certain players and heard random ridicules in public (Niles Paul). Let's not act like we were always crazy about Martinez, I know I surely wasn't. I stopped following K.Bell on twitter some time back, but I was there long enough to see the inconsistency of Husker fans in his direction. Hell even on this board, there was a fan who made highly immature comments about Bo and his child. That same poster made a dumb comment ridiculing K.Bell's character, discrediting his leadership ability because of his HAIR........yes, his HAIR.

Bo had a great opportunity here, but it's not like he walked on rose pedals 100% of the time. When you aren't even allowed to have a private conversation amongst guys expressing your frustration, because someone is recording it and waiting for the "perfect time" to release so that they can get the Husker nation to hate you that much more.

I've met Bo multiple times. I never felt he hated me or anyone with me. And he knew I was a husker fan. I also wasn't offended when he lashed out at fans who were vulgar to his players and/or two faced with support in that game. His anger didn't address me as a person. I actually agreed with some of what was said, though I would never react the way he did.

But for the things that Bo was HIRED for, he accomplished with flying colors. All except winning on the biggest stage. But he did all in his power to do so. It just wasn't enough. Doesn't mean I should hate him. He was still a Husker.

I think most of us hoped Lee would take the high road. But I can't fault Lee for being human. I'm sure most of us remember the hatred between the two, no matter if both deny it. Lee will gladly tell you the story of how Pelini would threaten to sue him and the OWH because he didn't like the tenor of articles written about the NU staff. Lee would calmly tell Bo, "You know, we have lawyers, too."

So, I guess I understand "the why" related to this article.

Call it paranoia or immaturity or what have you, many of his actions were reactions. He lashed out at people when he felt he or the guys he promised to stand in their corner were being done wrong either on the field, in the media, etc..... That is what you want from a coach. For him to be willing to go to war for his players. Now how he handled it, of course most of us would agree wasn't healthy in the long run, but there are also many things that occurred surrounding the players that would cause the players to believe what Bo was "teaching/encouraging" (me against the world) to be true. I was with certain players and heard random ridicules in public (Niles Paul). Let's not act like we were always crazy about Martinez, I know I surely wasn't. I stopped following K.Bell on twitter some time back, but I was there long enough to see the inconsistency of Husker fans in his direction. Hell even on this board, there was a fan who made highly immature comments about Bo and his child. That same poster made a dumb comment ridiculing K.Bell's character, discrediting his leadership ability because of his HAIR........yes, his HAIR.

Bo had a great opportunity here, but it's not like he walked on rose pedals 100% of the time. When you aren't even allowed to have a private conversation amongst guys expressing your frustration, because someone is recording it and waiting for the "perfect time" to release so that they can get the Husker nation to hate you that much more.

I've met Bo multiple times. I never felt he hated me or anyone with me. And he knew I was a husker fan. I also wasn't offended when he lashed out at fans who were vulgar to his players and/or two faced with support in that game. His anger didn't address me as a person. I actually agreed with some of what was said, though I would never react the way he did.

But for the things that Bo was HIRED for, he accomplished with flying colors. All except winning on the biggest stage. But he did all in his power to do so. It just wasn't enough. Doesn't mean I should hate him. He was still a Husker.

Which is the main thing he was hired for. Everything else is simply a job requirement just like any other coaching job.

I don't hate Bo. I truly think things may have turned out differently for him had he gone to a place like Youngstown St. prior to NU but that's not how history played out. He did indeed have a great opportunity at NU, and for some inexplicable reason he turned what could have been his two biggest assets, the fans and the media, into the enemy. Poor career decision on his part.

Last edited:
Lee gets a lot of hate for these types of articles, but I agree with what he said. The truth hurts. Pelini may be gone but he still left our program in an awkward position, and he shouldn't be instantly forgiven for that. We aren't nearly as bad off as when Cally got canned, but there's still a lot of rebuilding to be done.

It's an article, take it with a grain of salt. Some posts in this thread are no different that the shots taken by the OWH or by Pelini towards the media.

IMO, it's best that everyone move on.

Last edited:

Lee gets a lot of hate for these types of articles, but I agree with what he said. The truth hurts. Pelini may be gone but he still left our program in an awkward position, and he shouldn't be instantly forgiven for that. We aren't nearly as bad off as when Cally got canned, but there's still a lot of rebuilding to be done.

There's very little rebuilding unless Riley wants to rebuild. Nothing awkward (other than replacing a successful coach), and plenty to work with.

Lee is a little too harsh for some people, but a lot of his stuff is right on the mark. I appreciate his articles because he doesn't sugarcoat it for people who are still butthurt about what went down.

I thought the article was interesting. I don't mind the past being brought back up. I do hope that it becomes all about MR and not a constant comparison with Bo or as a means to take another parting shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back