• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Offense - what if you could decide

tons of discussion on this and other topics of course, but what offense if you had the chance to make that decision would you want to see here and why? How does that work in the BIG10 and the bigger picture bowls/playoffs..
I the college game you need to utilize the best athlete on the field and that should always be your QB. Any offense that has a QB who is not mobile is going to live and die by that QB. I also want to see power running. The only way to properly utiilze a mobile QB with a power run game is with the option.

Now I know what many posters are going to say and that is that the option is antiquated and it would never work again. Plenty of teems still run the option and have over the past ten years to significant success. But also I never said we could not throw the ball. I think in order for the option to properly work you have to have some downfield passing threat. This keeps the defense honest and prevents them from stacking the line.

Why is the option great for NU. 1) We live in a very windy state. Even Osborne knew he could not fully implement a passing game in Nebraska weather. 2) It builds linemen who are tough and physical in the run game. 3) When the opponent only has one week to prepare it is usually not enough to stop it. 4) It builds a tough defense trying to stop it in practice. 5) When game planning it also gives the defense a lot of breaks and runs the clock.

The biggest weakness to the option is the inability to produce a big play when it is necessary. But make no mistake, it produces plenty of big plays.

tons of discussion on this and other topics of course, but what offense if you had the chance to make that decision would you want to see here and why? How does that work in the BIG10 and the bigger picture bowls/playoffs..
The type that scores more than the other team.

The type that scores more than the other team.
In reality, I want something that is well balanced. Capable of power running, capable of passing, something that is hard for defenses to know what is coming. I think when you become over specialized, you leave yourself open to bad matchups without any recourse for adjustment.

Alabama has had quite a bit of success with the RPO and we have the talent to run one very similar. Here is a breakdown of Alabama offense and someone tell me why it wouldn't work at Nebraska or in the Big Ten.

Alabama offense

Alabama has had quite a bit of success with the RPO and we have the talent to run one very similar. Here is a breakdown of Alabama offense and someone tell me why it wouldn't work at Nebraska or in the Big Ten.

Alabama offense
Probably would. Probably would work anywhere they have that many 5s and 4s. Probably every other offense would work there too.

Probably would. Probably would work anywhere they have that many 5s and 4s. Probably every other offense would work there too.
I agree. Nebraska gets maybe one 5-star player every decade. Alabama gets five or six 5-star players every year. With that kind of talent you can run whatever offense you want and you will probably be successful if you have halfway decent coaching.

Why we used to run the ball in Lincoln and why passing does not work in the hearland.

Why we used to run the ball in Lincoln and why passing does not work in the hearland.

I had almost forgotten how fast and physical our defense was back then. Everyone flying to the ball and playing lights out. Loved the use of the fullbacks, the counters, the dives, the toss sweeps, play action passes and the options.

I agree but within limits. And it needs to include sliding.

I completely disagree. I prefer my gladitorial sports gladitorial. I understand the risk of injury.

I remember NU QB's turning around after the pitch to throw a block on the crashing opposite side DE. NU offensive players NEVER ran out of bounds. Delivered punishment to the Safeties/DB's.

I want to see the return of a hard-nosed, tough offense. Hard-nosed, tough defense is a given.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back