• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Offense - what if you could decide

bigggbrutis

Recruit
2 Year Member
tons of discussion on this and other topics of course, but what offense if you had the chance to make that decision would you want to see here and why? How does that work in the BIG10 and the bigger picture bowls/playoffs..

tons of discussion on this and other topics of course, but what offense if you had the chance to make that decision would you want to see here and why? How does that work in the BIG10 and the bigger picture bowls/playoffs..
1) A power downhill running game with a true duel-threat QB. I want an offense that can consistently pick up 3-4 yards running the ball even when the defense knows exactly where the ball is going. Successfully and consistently picking up tough yards on the ground demoralizes and exhausts a defense. This offensive quality is a recipe for success in any conference, and can level the playing field again faster/more talented teams come bowl season/playoffs.

2) I would incorporate elements of the option, whether it's out of the shotgun or more traditional formations. The amount of time a defense has to spend preparing for a good option team is significant, and it's also a good way to quickly dismantle less talented/athletic teams. It takes phenomenal skill to beat the more elite defenses, however.

3) I would utilize a lot of play-action passes designed to roll the QB out to the edge. This helps take pressure off the OL, as I would lean toward having better run-blockers than traditional pass-blockers in the type of offense I'm describing. It gives a duel-threat QB the ability to quickly pick up yards with his feet and get out of bounds so as to limit his wear. It lets a QB think and react faster as he's only reading half the field, and makes it much easier to throw the ball away without risking a grounding call.

If you can do those three things well, you're going to win the vast majority of your games, IDC what conference you're in. However, especially in the Big 10, I can't think of a better combo.

Veer n Shoot. Air raid passing system with the flexibility to run power inside. Easier said then done, but with right players works in any conference imo. Tennessee, Oklahoma, and maybe a few more run a version of this.

College football has changed, so there has to be an element of vertical passing. Today it's required.

I'd still like to see some version of 'balance' in that we can do either relatively well.

It would be amazing to have an offense that can run the ball when we're up by two scores or throw the ball when we're down by two scores with equal effectiveness.

All of one or the other just isn't a championship recipe.

Man, if this is pie in the sky stuff, then I'd love to see Osborne's offense. When that thing was humming it was so fun to watch. More fun than the west coast or any other thing. So I guess I'd say I'd like to see the modern day equivalent. To me that's a power run game sprinkled with some option here and there, but with a mix of speed and brawn on the outside and a QB who is a threat with his legs and arm. I know that's a tall ask but that's what I'd "like to see."

Last edited:

Man, if this is pie in the sky stuff, then I'd love to see Osborne's offense. When that thing was humming it was so fun to watch. More fun than the west coast or any other thing. So I guess I'd say I'd like to see the modern day equivalent. To me that's a power run game sprinkled with some option here and there, but with a mix of speed and brawn on the outside and a QB who is a threat with his legs and arm. I know that's a tall ask but that's what I'd "like to see."
Osborne's O worked incredibly well, and with a great D, led to NCs. Of course it had downsides: hard to catch up if very far down, won't attract top receivers or passers, and something very difficult to diagnose.
Since it was the offense that led to 3 Natties, why don't folk run it? The evolution of defenses? Difficulty in mastering?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back