• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

O-Town Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's dismissed as not a big recruiting win because "he was always coming here". That's the standard mantra to use when people don't want to give any credit to the staff, the same as people saying "we don't want people who don't want to be here" by the other side.
Nobody is trying to take all credit away from the staff. In the end we are on the same team. The reason I made the original comment is because I don’t like it when we chalk a recruiting commit up to “our staffs skills” when he clearly always wanted to come here. If the latter was true and our staff were clear cut amazing recruiters, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

Nobody is trying to take all credit away from the staff. In the end we are on the same team. The reason I made the original comment is because I don’t like it when we chalk a recruiting commit up to “our staffs skills” when he clearly always wanted to come here. If the latter was true and our staff were clear cut amazing recruiters, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

"Nobody is trying to take all credit away from the staff"
Then proceeds to take all credit away from the staff.
You can't make this stuff up.

a bunch of pre Madonna's. It seems like for the last 10 years or so kids from Omaha are leaving the home state and not just leaving but leaving with even considering the Home team. When I was growing up I lived in Omaha until I was pretty young. Even then (50 years ago) when we would go back to visit the friends from Omaha there was the feeling that they felt the rest of the state was a bunch of rubes. Even that Lincoln was less then them. Or just their suburb. I now have a cousin that lives there and she has expressed the same sentiments.

So yes the fact that we are not as good as in the past plays a role. I also feel that Kids who grow up in Omaha grow up feeling they are somehow better than the rest of the state.

I think simplistically the home state school has four straight losing seasons, hasn't had a winning season since they were in middle school, hasn't been to a conference title since they were in elementary school, and haven't won a championship while they've been alive. The 2022 talent in Omaha is getting offers from teams that are playing in the CFP or even winning national titles.

There's blood in the water and other teams are circling when the borders used to be pretty well closed. I adamantly disagree with the statement that the local recruits are trending away from Nebraska because of something that is wrong with them such as "pre Madonna's." What's happening isn't an "Omaha recruit problem" it's a what's happening in Lincoln problem. We go to a bowl game this year and a lot of that will go away.

You need to look deeper into the kids motives as well. They arent mindless zombies with no thoughts and wishes of their own, many are coming from out state originally, and have different Alliances than the one here in Nebraska.
Winning and losing isnt the only thing,it is a thing, in all things considered by recruits, but not necessarily the only thing.
The importance on getting an education is paramount, and kids want what they want, look no further than Northwesterns ability to get qbs from the portal or grad transfers.
Another look is Michigan, of the top 20 players in the state, only 6 are going to a Michigan school, one of the ones that isnt is one of our recruits.

We have undoubtedly lost clout at home, but weve seen this coming, TEs going to iowa wasnt that long ago,missed preferred walkons going to NDSU, but also, it comes down to, who did we have to lose.

If your area has more good players, that area is going to get more attention, and our area is heating up with talent,and though we may not get them all, we will get somebody, and even if that turns out to be the case, if we win with other states players, its stilla win at home eventually.

Top 20 classes threes years in a row...all with losing seasons. That tells us something. Carry on.

If our current staff isnt clear cut amazing recruiters, I ask, compared to whom?
Elsewheres?
Our record under two staffs is the worse weve seen, yet our recruiting is slightly above what weve been seeing.
And we know the two previous staffs also had attrition problems, so its not exclusive to this one.

Last edited:
thank you both for your responses. This is meant to be a prespring thread to give someone something to talk about.
@ShortSideOption I hear what you are saying. However why is it so prominent in Omaha but top Lincoln, Kearney and other out state kids still seem ready to go to the home school. Omaha just seems to be the outlier in state.

@NorthwoodHusker Your point is interesting. Many of the kids families are from out of state so they feel no loyalty to the home team.

"Nobody is trying to take all credit away from the staff"
Then proceeds to take all credit away from the staff.
You can't make this stuff up.
Props to you and a really catchy comeback. Would have been even better if it was true. This is going nowhere, you can have the final response.

thank you both for your responses. This is meant to be a prespring thread to give someone something to talk about.
@ShortSideOption I hear what you are saying. However why is it so prominent in Omaha but top Lincoln, Kearney and other out state kids still seem ready to go to the home school. Omaha just seems to be the outlier in state.
The Omaha kids have more options. Guys like Haarberg, Carnie, and Gifford are choosing us over Iowa, Boston College, and Oregon State. Even go look at the 2019 class where our staff did a great job keeping guys, the out of Omaha guys were Snodgrass, Nelson, and Piper. The best offer was Iowa for those guys. Deshawn Woods has LSU and Florida offers, Jackson has Notre Dame and A&M offers, Helms has an Oklahoma offer, Riley got offered from Penn State. Since the 2011 class, there's only been 2 in-state recruits outside of Omaha that had bigger offers than Iowa, and that's Bryson Williams and Jared Bubak. That's pretty staggering to only have two in a decade. That's one of the big issues IMO.

I think another thing that is purely speculation on my part, but the kids outside of Omaha, for the most part they grow up playing with a core group of friends their entire life. They know what high school they are going to from elementary school, and they get more comfortable with their peers and family. Up in Omaha, kids bounce from school to school, take a 30 minute Uber ride in the morning so they can attend Millard South but live in North Omaha... they are already used to being away from things.

The Burke boys.
They had offers from wiscy LSU,Notre Dame, A&M, Florida, Oregon etc both iowa schools etc
They were a tough pull

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back