• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU in play with other P5 conferences?

The numbers are going to explode with this next round of negotiations. ESPN is cutting things that have lost money like the Longhorn Network. They are trying to form a super conference where those teams will get much more tha59 million per year. I read an article yesterday about it possibly being 100-125 million per school. They also have Disney money which is pretty much unlimited.

Todays ESPN Prime Time matchup features the Alabama Loki's against the Notre Dame Fighting Skywalkers.

BUT … what if the SEC or ACC steal tOSU or Michigan? What if Kevin Warren decides to expel a few institutions (NU, Rutgers, Maryland …) and merge the remaining members with the ACC or the PAC12?

These are crazy times to assume nothing is going to change is ludicrous and in fact crazy scenarios should not be outright dismissed because we are in crazy times.

While I agree these are crazy times with a huge unpredictably factor (I won't 100% rule out anything), you offered what I consider to be the two most unlikely of a long list of scenarios.

Ohio State and/or Michigan are still the two most powerful schools in a powerful conference. OSU is in position to win the Big Ten at least three years out of four. Definitely not the case if they leave for the SEC. And ultimately, it's the university presidents that make those decisions. The Big Ten is still the top academic conference. The SEC is ranked near the bottom in academics.

I also don't buy any OSU leaving the Big Ten rumors because Sir Yacht was the first to state that possibility.

Warren expelling universities? That's really a rumor?

I still believe the most likely scenario is the Big 12 continues to crumble with more schools finding new homes. I have no doubt the Big 12 is going to be looking for replacements -- but there's no way they'll end up with the equivalent of what they've lost. It's clearly the weakest conference now -- that much we do know.

I personally don't think it's in the Big Ten's best long-term interest to stand pat. (Some here have suggested that's what they should do.)

Last edited:
While I agree these are crazy times with a huge unpredictably factor (I won't 100% rule out anything), you offered what I consider to be the two most unlikely of a long list of scenarios.

Ohio State and/or Michigan are still the two most powerful schools in a powerful conference. OSU is in position to win the Big Ten at least three years out of four. Definitely not the case if they leave for the SEC. And ultimately, it's the university presidents that make those decisions. The Big Ten is still the top academic conference. The SEC is ranked near the bottom in academics.

I also don't buy any OSU leaving the Big Ten rumors because Sir Yacht was the first to state that possibility.

Warren expelling universities? That's really a rumor?

I still believe the most likely scenario is the Big 12 continues to crumble with more schools finding new homes. I have no doubt the Big 12 is going to be looking for replacements -- but there's no way they'll end up with the equivalent of what they've lost. It's clearly the weakest conference now -- that much we do know.
I can’t see any BIG schools actually leaving. The grant money is too much. The reasons you laid out for a easy path to the playoffs is also a huge factor. I do think ESPN pissed off everyone not in the SEC. something that could come from this is limiting a conference to two teams for the playoff. That would piss off Texas and Oklahoma. I’m not sure Oklahoma will ever win another conference championship. Hell I’m not sure they ever finish third in the SEC. Texas couldn’t win in the Big12 so they will be at the bottom of the SEC with teams like Vanderbilt and Kentucky.

BUT … what if the SEC or ACC steal tOSU or Michigan? What if Kevin Warren decides to expel a few institutions (NU, Rutgers, Maryland …) and merge the remaining members with the ACC or the PAC12?

These are crazy times to assume nothing is going to change is ludicrous and in fact crazy scenarios should not be outright dismissed because we are in crazy times.

Good thing Kevin Warren doesn’t have that type of power to expel a university. :thumbsup:

However, I do find it very interesting how the tone coming out of Lincoln has been very very pro Big 10 since Bill Moos left. It is obvious that the Chancellor, President, and Athletic Director agreed to publicly sing the praises of the conference and how proud Nebraska is to be a member. Trev even mentioned that he had a one on one meeting scheduled with Kevin Warren this week. Seems like a strategic move by the university to quickly get back into a good collaborative standing with the conference. I personally think it is a smart move on their part.

Last edited:
The numbers are going to explode with this next round of negotiations. ESPN is cutting things that have lost money like the Longhorn Network. They are trying to form a super conference where those teams will get much more tha59 million per year. I read an article yesterday about it possibly being 100-125 million per school. They also have Disney money which is pretty much unlimited.
that much money will separate teams real quick.

However, I do find it very interesting how the tone coming out of Lincoln has been very very pro Big 10 since Bill Moos left. It is obvious that the Chancellor, President, and Athletic Director agreed to publicly sing the praises of the conference and how proud Nebraska is to be a member. Trev even mentioned that he had a one on one meeting scheduled with Kevin Warren this week. Seems like a strategic move by the university to quickly get back into a good collaborative standing with the conference. I personally think it is a smart move on their part.

If you're implying that Moos was anti-B1G, I don't agree. The B1G did have a heads-up that this was coming if the many sources are accurate that OU and UT approached the B1G also. It doesn't seem like a coincidence that the B1G fired up the expansion committee in February. Put it all together, and you'll find that it was clearly in Nebraska's best interest to be a team player in every way possible, especially if they want to have any influence on who will be joining later. Regardless of who the AD was, you would have heard a lot of pro-B1G statements in unison coming out of Nebraska.

If you're implying that Moos was anti-B1G, I don't agree. The B1G did have a heads-up that this was coming if the many sources are accurate that OU and UT approached the B1G also. It doesn't seem like a coincidence that the B1G fired up the expansion committee in February. Put it all together, and you'll find that it was clearly in Nebraska's best interest to be a team player in every way possible, especially if they want to have any influence on who will be joining later. Regardless of who the AD was, you would have heard a lot of pro-B1G statements in unison coming out of Nebraska.

I am not implying that about Moos. I didn’t mean for it to possibly come across that way.

However, I noticed a huge change in the tone in language used by the University Chancellor, President, Athletic Director at Trev’s press conference and at the Big Ten media days. Nebraska publicly became cheerleaders for the conference and proud members and they wanted everyone to know it. It was very obvious listening to the multiple press conferences and interviews since July 1st.

Last edited:

I am not implying that about Moos. I didn’t mean for it to possibly come across that way.

Got it. I wasn't sure how you meant it.

However, I noticed a huge change in the tone in language used by the University Chancellor, President, Athletic Director at Trev’s press conference and at the Big Ten media days. Nebraska publicly became cheerleaders for the conference and proud members and they wanted everyone to know it. It was very obvious listening to the multiple press conferences and interviews since July 1st.

I think that that was coordinated in anticipation of the news coming out about OU and UT. Maybe Trev pushed it more? I don't know. But if the admin knew what was coming, the best way to be proactive in stomping out rumors and fear-mongering among Nebraska fans would have been to sound exactly like they did.

If OU and UT were serious about the Big10 I hope they listened. tOSU and UM are a good counter balance to UT. It would have made sense IMO to bring them in. So long as you can keep UT informed that they are a member of the conference and not THE conference.

I enjoy looking back at threads where plenty suggested Nebraska should return to the Big 12-2! :oops: Could there have a been a worse idea? Thankfully that braintrust isn't in charge of how DONU does business or chart it's future. We should be very happy we are in a strong, stable and economically viable athletic conference. I'm not in favor of just adding some teams to be adding teams. If however there are some schools that would improve or elevate the BIG conference then by all means have at it.

I'm just happy we're exactly where we are right now. Imagine being in the SEC now with the meat grinder football schedule? Heck we could seldom beat Texass let alone the murderers row that's the top SEC teams now. I hope Texass and Swooners get curb stomped for many years into the future. Hope they don't even sniff a conference title until hell freezes over. Yep they will make a lot of money but will it be worth it long term? Probably because the Big 12 was doomed to failure especally with the Whorns as a memeber.

I enjoy looking back at threads where plenty suggested Nebraska should return to the Big 12-2! :oops: Could there have a been a worse idea? Thankfully that braintrust isn't in charge of how DONU does business or chart it's future. We should be very happy we are in a strong, stable and economically viable athletic conference. I'm not in favor of just adding some teams to be adding teams. If however there are some schools that would improve or elevate the BIG conference then by all means have at it.

I'm just happy we're exactly where we are right now. Imagine being in the SEC now with the meat grinder football schedule? Heck we could seldom beat Texass let alone the murderers row that's the top SEC teams now. I hope Texass and Swooners get curb stomped for many years into the future. Hope they don't even sniff a conference title until hell freezes over. Yep they will make a lot of money but will it be worth it long term? Probably because the Big 12 was doomed to failure especally with the Whorns as a memeber.
There were a whole lot of folks on here suggesting we go back to the Big 12 after the initial cancellation of the season and the subsequent dissing of us by the media. They are all quiet now.

Nebraska is not going anywhere and anyone suggesting they might is just completely out of touch. The best thing to do when everyone else is in upheaval, is to just stay put. Nebraska will be in the B1G for many years to come. To suggest otherwise is lunacy.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back