• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU in play with other P5 conferences?

I think you're giving the ACC too much credit while downplaying the Big Ten.

I can't argue with a suggestion the SEC is the elite conference (especially with adding UT and OU).

But, Ohio State and Michigan are two of the five most powerful athletic programs in the country. And Penn State is right behind (#2, #3, and #6 nationally in total athletic department revenue). In fact, the Big Ten has four teams (add in Wisconsin) before the top ACC school, #12 Florida State.

Top 25 athletic department revenue: ACC has three teams. Big Ten has nine.

The ACC would get swallowed up before the Big Ten. The only two conferences that are "safe" long-term are the SEC and Big Ten.

There's no clear advantage for Nebraska to leave for the SEC. And FWIW, Big Ten academics are far superior to the SEC. Nebraska is in a great position in the Big Ten.
I'm just spitballing here. I agree that most likely the B1G is the best position for us, but we should watch carefully and not get caught with overconfidence. The ACC has been crafty before, and the PAC-12 is likely to flex with its new aggressive commish, and the SEC may not yet be done expanding. So much change, and we should fight to ensure we're at the forefront of that change.

I'm just spitballing here. I agree that most likely the B1G is the best position for us, but we should watch carefully and not get caught with overconfidence. The ACC has been crafty before, and the PAC-12 is likely to flex with its new aggressive commish, and the SEC may not yet be done expanding. So much change, and we should fight to ensure we're at the forefront of that change.

I agree that the Big Ten needs to not be complacent. They have the power to keep in the mix with the SEC, but they can't watch from the sidelines.

I very much believe if any conference can pull Notre Dame away from their independent status, it's the Big Ten. ND is in the ACC for non-football because the ACC will allow it, while the Big Ten would not. But ND may be seeing the changing landscape as a time they need to strongly consider fully jumping into a conference (soon super conference) before getting left behind.

Also, the Big Ten already showed ability to snag an ACC team with Maryland. I could easily see the Big Ten wanting to gobble up more ACC schools to expand along the East Coast.

I agree that the Big Ten needs to not be complacent. They have the power to keep in the mix with the SEC, but they can't watch from the sidelines.

I very much believe if any conference can pull Notre Dame away from their independent status, it's the Big Ten. ND is in the ACC for non-football because the ACC will allow it, while the Big Ten would not. But ND may be seeing the changing landscape as a time they need to strongly consider fully jumping into a conference (soon super conference) before getting left behind.

Also, the Big Ten already showed ability to snag an ACC team with Maryland. I could easily see the Big Ten wanting to gobble up more ACC schools to expand along the East Coast.
Notre Dame is never going to get left out of a conference if they want in someone will take them.

Last edited:

Sorry if this has been brought up in other threads. Was anybody listening to Trev's message yesterday? He packaged several times how proud Nebraska is to be part of the Big Ten. He's reaching out to Warren. Scott F refused to discuss covid at all. It was clear to me that they were carefully moving away from the maverick that wanted to leave. Perceptions that were built last year and not squashed by Moos. Why? Number one the non athletic side of the school has benefited tremendously from the move. Also, I think they knew about the Texas / Oklahoma move. Now is not a time to be dating anybody. Hold on tight to your partner and hope you land on solid ground. Go re watch Frost and Trev videos. Clear message. We love the Big Ten.
They might,but I don’t. I am not advocating that we try to leave.To many pluses for staying. I just personally have never been a fan of the big ten,and don’t think I ever will.Jmo.Keep the faith.

There's no clear advantage for Nebraska to leave for the SEC. And FWIW, Big Ten academics are far superior to the SEC. Nebraska is in a great position in the Big Ten.

I would agree with that statement 100%...

...if we didn't a Cretan Nutsack for a commissioner.

If the B1G can be proactive (UNC, VT, GT, Kansas, Notre Dame, anything! Just make a move), we have a chance here. But I fear that we'll be the ones left holding the bag because we hired a 12th Degree Moron.

The clear advantage is that the SEC came to play ball and the B1G might be clutching their academic pearls.

If there is even a WHIFF of hesitation in the B1G, I say we bail, especially if Ohio State and Michigan are leaving, too.

We might not have the on-field prowess we used to, but an awkward family reunion with Oklahoma and Mizzou (and yes, UT + A&M) is great ratings theater. If we get to a point where Wisconsin or Iowa makes a jump (who knows?) we might have a "old rivals" versus "new rivals" scenario unfolding.

Last edited:

I think you're giving the ACC too much credit while downplaying the Big Ten.

I can't argue with a suggestion the SEC is the elite conference (especially with adding UT and OU).

But, Ohio State and Michigan are two of the five most powerful athletic programs in the country. And Penn State is right behind (#2, #3, and #6 nationally in total athletic department revenue). In fact, the Big Ten has four teams (add in Wisconsin) before the top ACC school, #12 Florida State.

Top 25 athletic department revenue: ACC has three teams. Big Ten has nine.

The ACC would get swallowed up before the Big Ten. The only two conferences that are "safe" long-term are the SEC and Big Ten.

BUT … what if the SEC or ACC steal tOSU or Michigan? What if Kevin Warren decides to expel a few institutions (NU, Rutgers, Maryland …) and merge the remaining members with the ACC or the PAC12?

These are crazy times to assume nothing is going to change is ludicrous and in fact crazy scenarios should not be outright dismissed because we are in crazy times.

Short answer no long answer no. 50 million reasons why
The numbers are going to explode with this next round of negotiations. ESPN is cutting things that have lost money like the Longhorn Network. They are trying to form a super conference where those teams will get much more tha59 million per year. I read an article yesterday about it possibly being 100-125 million per school. They also have Disney money which is pretty much unlimited.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back