• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Northwestern

Here's a quote from an anonymous coach in the conference;

"In their division, Nebraska still has the best-looking roster. We call it the all-bus team because they look better than anyone else in the West in pregame. Long, tall dudes, really athletic, and then after a quarter or so, you stop worrying because they're usually hurting themselves. They struggle with turnovers, they struggle with technique. I think it's a culture issue."

So not only does he think Nebraska’s issues aren't talent related, but it hasn't been for a while.

That's the stuff that came out a few months ago and is being recycled again

"In their division, Nebraska still has the best-looking roster. We call it the all-bus team because they look better than anyone else in the West in pregame. Long, tall dudes, really athletic, and then after a quarter or so, you stop worrying because they're usually hurting themselves. They struggle with turnovers, they struggle with technique. I think it's a culture issue."

So not only does he think Nebraska’s issues aren't talent related, but it hasn't been for a while.
Couple that quote with Whipple's quote, "I think first games at any level of football are lost more than they are won. So take care of the football..." and that makes the NW game no gimme.

I do think Nebraska can overcome some mistakes and still win, but that's what I thought last year against the Illini. I'm sure Fitz is stressing to play fundamentally sound, keep it close, and wait for a meltdown.

Come on you know what I meant your being silly now

RR
Well, I thought I did, but now I’m not so sure.

But since you opened the door for me to opine on the anonymous coach’s comment, I would argue that’s one man’s opinion and someone who may have an agenda in making such comments. He might be right. But what I was pointing out is there are reasons to believe we have at least some talent issues given the number of starters we seem to be getting from the portal. It’s like reading tea leaves, it’s not an exact science. Whether shortcomings are because of development issues or just raw talent of players we recruited is a question for debate.

One thing seems clear, we have plenty of talent to compete with Northwestern. So if we lay an egg in Dublin, it isn’t because of a talent issue.

Well, I thought I did, but now I’m not so sure.

But since you opened the door for me to opine on the anonymous coach’s comment, I would argue that’s one man’s opinion and someone who may have an agenda in making such comments. He might be right. But what I was pointing out is there are reasons to believe we have at least some talent issues given the number of starters we seem to be getting from the portal. It’s like reading tea leaves, it’s not an exact science. Whether shortcomings are because of development issues or just raw talent of players we recruited is a question for debate.

One thing seems clear, we have plenty of talent to compete with Northwestern. So if we lay an egg in Dublin, it isn’t because of a talent issue.

All I asked y'all to do is take the personal stuff elsewhere

Fair enough on the test of what you wrote

Feel free to interpret that quote as you want, but that coach didn't say anything about talent. At least not football talent. he said they look athletic. He didn't say they are exceptionally talented. He also didn't allude to how long that has been his opinion. He may have thought that last year. Or he may have thought that for 15 years. Hard to say how long it has been in his opinion.

And again, the obvious, it is his opinion.

In a post a while back you were looking for thoughtful conversation that was productive and analytical or close to it. You continue though to want to engage anyone that has concerns with the head coaching and the product put n the field.. While you’re constantly critical of anyone with concerns you seldom offer anything to dispute. Your go to is, Trev can see what’s going on, I can’t tell because I’m not at practice, I don’t know what’s going on behind closed doors, etc. etc. If you truly want a thoughtful conversation offer up your thoughts and opinions rather than just passing the buck to other people or factors. Get off the bench and mix it up a bit. So when I mentioned you going out on a limb I was obviously being sarcastic. You obviously have a issue with those critical of frost while at the same time basically admitting you don’t have any answers or opinions of your own.

The bold should really humble the coaches on the team who were also here last year

That's the stuff that came out a few months ago and is being recycled again
2021 and 2022 football teams are not the same. This is an entirely different team and they’ll have their own strengths and weaknesses. I am looking forward to a great season and will not be looking backward.

2021 and 2022 football teams are not the same. This is an entirely different team and they’ll have their own strengths and weaknesses. I am looking forward to a great season and will not be looking backward.

Of course agree and have been making that argument in thread after thread but there are some things that can be looked at as a leading indicator especially if a school has not done anything to address a weakness

Last edited:
Couple that quote with Whipple's quote, "I think first games at any level of football are lost more than they are won. So take care of the football..." and that makes the NW game no gimme.

I do think Nebraska can overcome some mistakes and still win, but that's what I thought last year against the Illini. I'm sure Fitz is stressing to play fundamentally sound, keep it close, and wait for a meltdown.

Whipple's quote is very telling. To me it shows that he understands taking care of the football is very important. He has mentioned taking care of it several times. Which is good. They are hearing it from a different source and that might just give it different meaning. Most of the TO problems have been from the QB position. He is in charge of the QBs now so hopefully he is imparting his wisdom about taking care of the ball.

The bold should really humble the coaches on the team who were also here last year
I'm not sure there are any coaches left who this was really pointed at except Frost. Since we are all free to speculate on that coach's meaning, I would guess he was pointing to the QB (turnovers), O-line (technique), and HC (culture).

QB coach (and QB) and O-line coaches are gone.

Whipple's quote is very telling. To me it shows that he understands taking care of the football is very important. He has mentioned taking care of it several times. Which is good. They are hearing it from a different source and that might just give it different meaning. Most of the TO problems have been from the QB position. He is in charge of the QBs now so hopefully he is imparting his wisdom about taking care of the ball.
100% agree.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back