• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Northwestern Week Practice Thread 19 Oct. Coach Rhule

This guy appears to be on top of everything. I’m guessing, he’s watched a ton of Nebraska football games since being hired. Gaining knowledge and studying the ways of Nebraska football. He’s old enough to remember when Nebraska was great. I’m sure he’s looking for certain things, advantages, trends, to see what he can add/subtract, to get it back there. He seems to be quite thorough in his process. I’d guess, most coaches are quite aware of message boards, podcasts and what not. They are, after all, human.
I think he is trying to pull as much information out of osborne as he possibly can. Rhule IMO is very intellectual and understands that he has a living legend at his disposal. One thing that prior coaches may have done to a certain degree but not as much as they should have.

I think he is trying to pull as much information out of osborne as he possibly can. Rhule IMO is very intellectual and understands that he has a living legend at his disposal. One thing that prior coaches may have done to a certain degree but not as much as they should have.
I agree. Something about the way Rhule's mind seems to work makes it look like he can pretty efficiently gather ideas from other people and fit them into his own framework pretty easily. He's kind of interesting that way.

He also seems to take it seriously that he's just the current coach in a program with a history and he needs to consider that in how he goes about things. He talks about what "we" did in recent years as if he had been an assistant coach here the whole time. He doesn't seem to be posturing when he does it.

I think there might be an interesting insight behind it. Instead of thinking all he's got to do is implement his own, superior way of doing things he's learned elsewhere, he acts like he believes he's got to meld successful ways of doing things prior coaches have done here in the past with what he does. And instead of just saying he's going to do that for PR reasons, he actually goes out and learns about what has happened here and uses some of it.

I'm not trying to overly praise him about this. I think it's likely to help him some but it's not the only way to be successful somewhere. As much as anything I just think it's interesting how his mind appears to work.

On the other hand, pulling in good ideas wherever you come across them and then efficiently adopting them generally IS very important to being successful. Maybe doing that with Osborne and the history of this place is just part of what he does about everything. That would be a powerful tool, obviously.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back