• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

No football a good thing for NU?

groundNpound

Recruit
I know that no football would be bad for the university and state as a whole. But lets get real and take a peek at that behemoth of a schedule next year. Personally i think another 5-7 season would hurt this program more than not having football at all. Just my honest perspective.

Depends I suppose, do seniors get an extra year of eligibility. If we play this year, maybe we see our strength and conditioning show up finally. It could hurt us by not playing and help I suppose it depends on how you look at it.

Will be more challenging for a winning season in 2020 if this happens...

Last edited:

Not having a season could be good if and only if the team is still allowed practices and scrimmages. if their limited only to conditioning workouts then it does nothing to help Nebraska's situation. They're a young team and need playing time.

Given that we already know that some of the non-con teams are not doing any covid testing its almost a guarantee that the Big Ten only does conf games. I suppose maybe they may be able to line up some games with some group of five schools if there's proof of testing happening on those schools but it may be difficult scheduling wise.

If there are no bowl games, I'm not so sure the record really matters this season.

Honestly...I am not even worried about bowl games. Nebraska desperately needs a winning season to show improvement in year 3 of the Scott Frost era. It would pay dividends on the recruiting trail and within the fan base. A bowl game would be icing on the cake. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Will be more challenging for a winning season in 2020 if this happens...

In this scenario, 6-4 feels like best case. And that assumes our 10th game is not Michigan.

Almost certain loss to Ohio State. Likely losses to Wisconsin and Penn St. Iowa and Minnesota are 50/50 games, at best. And that all assumes we don't slip up against NW, Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, and mystery opponent #10.

3-7 seems more likely than 7-3.

In this scenario, 6-4 feels like best case. And that assumes our 10th game is not Michigan.

Almost certain loss to Ohio State. Likely losses to Wisconsin and Penn St. Iowa and Minnesota are 50/50 games, at best. And that all assumes we don't slip up against NW, Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, and mystery opponent #10.

3-7 seems more likely than 7-3.

Impossible to say at this time. We could go 0-10 because key players are sidelined with coronavirus at the worst times, or we could go 10-0 because we catch lucky breaks with our first-stringers playing Ohio St's backups. There are political, financial, and medical distractions and impediments this year. The teams that play as teams are going to have the best chance.

I don’t agree. I don’t think you ever get better by not playing. This team needs to play.
I agree, but no one else will be playing either so not like we’d be falling behind. As stated in this thread if we can still practice and scrimmage thatd be huge. As far as seniors losing eligibility, i think NU’s in a good spot there as we have such a young team.

Im curious if the NCAA would allow those who havent redshirted yet to use it this year, if theres no football. That would mean a 4th year Senior like Brendan Jaimes could redshirt and still come back and play 2021

Impossible to say at this time. We could go 0-10 because key players are sidelined with coronavirus at the worst times, or we could go 10-0 because we catch lucky breaks with our first-stringers playing Ohio St's backups. There are political, financial, and medical distractions and impediments this year. The teams that play as teams are going to have the best chance.
And that have healthy productive depth...
Kind of like a regular season..... :p

IMO no football is very likely, whether it would be good for the team or not. Maybe conferences will be able to work in a few games if certain conditions are met. I'd bet teams will be reluctant to play many away games though. Also, I can't see how seniors would be granted an extra year of eligibility unless roster sizes are allowed to expand (gotta make room for new recruits).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back