• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NFL Discussion Thread

No surprise. Clears over 7-million cap space. He'll be inducted into the Chiefs ring of honor (along with Derrik Johnson), but this is the business of the NFL. I'm pretty sure he'll be picked up by someone, but I would honestly be surprised if he's on an opening day 53-man roster.

Given that my team is almost undoubtedly going for one of the big QBs in this draft, I was curious to see how some here rank them? I go back and forth, and see positives and negatives in all of them. The Top5 seem to be (in no order) Allen, Darnold, Jackson, Mayfield and Rosen. How would y'all rank them?

I've probably gone back and forth a few times on who I like best. I think there's a clear Top4, with Lamar not making the cut.

My order right now:
1. Allen
2. Rosen
3. Darnold
4. Mayfield
5. Jackson

With all of these trades/releases/signings, it seems everyone in the NFL has taken some goofy meds. Its getting challenging to keep track of everything.

In response to HNC, my order would be very different:
1 - Mayfield - He's one of those dudes who is annoying as crap, unless he's on your team. He's not Manziel 2.0 at all I don't think. His football ability combined with that 'it' factor, I'd take him first all day.
2 - Allen - He's got the size, he's got the measurables, seems he make every throw. But he's also a career 55% passer. No doubt he can improve that, and I also think he's going to have a chip on his shoulder with how many are saying he won't make it due to being from Wyoming. Not sure that will be enough.
3 - Darnold - From what I've seen of all of them in games, I would say he has the best arm. But I would also say he has the worst decision making. Many times instead of making the check down, he throws into double/triple coverage. Will he be able to change that?
4 - Rosen - The phenomenal tennis player... he's soft and injury prone. Yes the rules are such that they try to protect the QB as much as possible, but its football, you're going to take hits. He just has always seemed the type that he'll get hit once, then mentally abandons the game and curls up in the fetal position.
5 - LJ - Phenomenal athlete, but we've never seen a running QB able to totally make it in the NFL without taking some pretty serious hits, which then ultimately changes their game. His throwing motion isn't great, his decision making isn't great, and his completion % is about the same as Allen's. I would say his ceiling is probably similar to that of Tyrod Taylors or maybe a little greater - serviceable starter but you better have a decent backup ready at all times.

Buffalo essentially traded away Tyrod Taylor for AJ McCarron, the first pick in the 3rd round and more cap space.

Although I'm far from sold on McCarron, I'll take that trade all day long. Whereas AJ hasn't proved much of anything, Taylor has more than proved what he is. He'll make Cleveland better than they were, but he's always going to have too many limitation to lead a successful offense.

With all of these trades/releases/signings, it seems everyone in the NFL has taken some goofy meds. Its getting challenging to keep track of everything.

In response to HNC, my order would be very different:
1 - Mayfield - He's one of those dudes who is annoying as crap, unless he's on your team. He's not Manziel 2.0 at all I don't think. His football ability combined with that 'it' factor, I'd take him first all day.
2 - Allen - He's got the size, he's got the measurables, seems he make every throw. But he's also a career 55% passer. No doubt he can improve that, and I also think he's going to have a chip on his shoulder with how many are saying he won't make it due to being from Wyoming. Not sure that will be enough.
3 - Darnold - From what I've seen of all of them in games, I would say he has the best arm. But I would also say he has the worst decision making. Many times instead of making the check down, he throws into double/triple coverage. Will he be able to change that?
4 - Rosen - The phenomenal tennis player... he's soft and injury prone. Yes the rules are such that they try to protect the QB as much as possible, but its football, you're going to take hits. He just has always seemed the type that he'll get hit once, then mentally abandons the game and curls up in the fetal position.
5 - LJ - Phenomenal athlete, but we've never seen a running QB able to totally make it in the NFL without taking some pretty serious hits, which then ultimately changes their game. His throwing motion isn't great, his decision making isn't great, and his completion % is about the same as Allen's. I would say his ceiling is probably similar to that of Tyrod Taylors or maybe a little greater - serviceable starter but you better have a decent backup ready at all times.
1-4 is a virtual toss-up for me. I think you could make a valid argument for each of those QBs being the best.

I'd take either of the 4, but I'm very weary of Buffalo trading up to #2 IF they have to also give up next year's first rounder. That's a lot without there being a surefire franchise QB.

1-4 is a virtual toss-up for me. I think you could make a valid argument for each of those QBs being the best.

I'd take either of the 4, but I'm very weary of Buffalo trading up to #2 IF they have to also give up next year's first rounder. That's a lot without there being a surefire franchise QB.

I agree mostly. I think the top 3 are separated from the other two... I just don't like what I've seen from Rosen, and would have a hard time trading anything for him.

Given that my team is almost undoubtedly going for one of the big QBs in this draft, I was curious to see how some here rank them? I go back and forth, and see positives and negatives in all of them. The Top5 seem to be (in no order) Allen, Darnold, Jackson, Mayfield and Rosen. How would y'all rank them?

I've probably gone back and forth a few times on who I like best. I think there's a clear Top4, with Lamar not making the cut.

My order right now:
1. Allen
2. Rosen
3. Darnold
4. Mayfield
5. Jackson
Needless to say, I'm very excited about Buffalo's draft. They picked Allen and didn't have to give up their other 1st rounder. Instead, they used that and traded up for what many considered to be the best LB in the draft.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back