• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New league? The Big PRIEST?

Don't think they'll leave the ACC. ND likes being indy, but they also like the perks of being an unofficial football member of a conference (bowl tie-ins). Plus, ND has to worry about their other non-revenue sports and I think they fancy themselves bigger than Xavier, Butler, Dayton, etc. Nothing against those schools, but I'd fall out of my chair if ND agreed to be in the same conference as Butler.

ND fancies themselves bigger than everybody. I think you are probably right and I think they will eventually have to join the ACC in football also. I would find it hard to believe that they will get such a favorable deal when the 4 superconference deal is implemented.

Looking at how it appears this is going, what are the chances of Notre Dam leaving the ACC to join this conference? You would think that if they truly believe they can stay independent in football, joining an all BBall conference would make since.

Personally, I don't think with the playoff soon to come that Notre Dam can remain independent but I'm sure they will hold out as long as possible.

I don't think there's any chance of ND. Nothing I've read is really even mentioning ND.

A couple things I've read today from people who pretend to be "in the know"....doesn't sound like CU will be involved in this new conference.

A couple things I've read today from people who pretend to be "in the know"....doesn't sound like CU will be involved in this new conference.

If true, that's too bad for Creighton, but it's not like they would be left with nothing. Not really a surprise though.

If true, that's too bad for Creighton, but it's not like they would be left with nothing. Not really a surprise though.

Hard to say. The person that said it is a poster on another board who claims inside information. Then his inside information had programs like GW, Lasalle and Rhode Island in the mix...none of which really make any sense.

Whatever happens I'd expect clarity sooner than later...like early next week maybe. Seems like a longshot but you never know...

shatel had a good point in his chat today...saying if cu was out of the discussion that they would probably know it and they would be publicly re-affirming their commitment to the MVC.

Also, apprently MVC presidents had a conference call last night to discuss the possibility of cu leaving.

shatel had a good point in his chat today...saying if cu was out of the discussion that they would probably know it and they would be publicly re-affirming their commitment to the MVC.

Also, apprently MVC presidents had a conference call last night to discuss the possibility of cu leaving.

Of course CU is in, with what they bring to the table it would be hard to leave them out. I for one, am pumped: GTown, St Johns, Xavier, DePaul, etc at the Link? Sweetness!!!

Interesting. Wonder if this was done as a "just in case" or if the meeting was called because there's a good possibility of CU leaving? Also, who would the MVC bring in? Are there any schools in Indiana or Illinois that would fit the bill? Would the MVC get someone out of the Summit League, like UMKC or even UNO? Losing CU would also mean the MVC loses a decent size market and a state in the conference's footprint.

Of course CU is in, with what they bring to the table it would be hard to leave them out. I for one, am pumped: GTown, St Johns, Xavier, DePaul, etc at the Link? Sweetness!!!

If the East/West division thing is going to happen (which I think is likely) my guess is Creighton will see very little of GTown, St. John's and probably Xavier. Once every other year those schools will stop by Omaha, maybe even less if they expand to more than 12. Not that it's a bad thing.

Heard a guy on the radio last night...reporter from NJ I think...and he made some points that I've seen/heard a couple times now.

The main one being that it's not just about TV money. A basketball only league will not get a deal like a league with football...that's obvious. So while adding prime TV markets is a good thing it's not the only thing. They need good PROGRAMS. Programs that will make regular appearances in the Dance. They don't want to be a 2 bid league. The "7" already have programs like St. John's, DePaul, Providence and Seaton Hall that, while they have some name recognition, amount to bottom feeders at this time...and have for some time. So adding programs like Dayton or St. Louis may be nice for their markets and, to a lesser extent, geography...they don't add much in the way of programs that are likely to become regulars in the Dance. CU has been to the tourney 8 times in the 2000's and Dayton 3. St. Louis once. CU isn't the national brand that Gonzaga has become...but they are a hell of a lot closer than Dayton or St. Louis...and with a little luck in March they could get even closer.

If the East/West division thing is going to happen (which I think is likely) my guess is Creighton will see very little of GTown, St. John's and probably Xavier. Once every other year those schools will stop by Omaha, maybe even less if they expand to more than 12. Not that it's a bad thing.

If they go to 12 I'd expect a scheduling scenario like the Big 12...where you play teams in your "division" twice a year and the others once. So we'd see G'town every other year. Even abover 12 you might still be playing everyone at least once a year. There's talk that the CU-NU game might not survive annually if the Big 10 starts scheduling "too many" conference games...meaning it sounds like they may be looking at playing everyone at least once when Rutgers and maryland join.

The other benefit is that it's quite possible that being in a higher profile conference will make scheduling name OOC games at least a little easier...again, improving the home schedule.

Last edited:

If they go to 12 I'd expect a scheduling scenario like the Big 12...where you play teams in your "division" twice a year and the others once. So we'd see G'town every other year. Even abover 12 you might still be playing everyone at least once a year. There's talk that the CU-NU game might not survive annually if the Big 10 starts scheduling "too many" conference games...meaning it sounds like they may be looking at playing everyone at least once when Rutgers and maryland join.

The other benefit is that it's quite possible that being in a higher profile conference will make scheduling name OOC games at least a little easier...again, improving the home schedule.

Without a doubt. The MVC SOS is what keeps many teams from scheduling the Jays. That would disappear.

si.com article has some interesting tidbits. Seems 12 programs is the way they are leaning right now.

As of now, the answer is 12. Why? A favorite new buzz word of the realignment era — inventory. If there are 12 teams, there will be 20-percent more conference games. That means 18 extra league games available, and that’s quite a bit of content for programming-starved networks. (The total inventory will be much greater.)

Looks like the thinking is CU would be a part of a 12 team league:

Who will be added?

The teams that will definitely be added to the mix are Xavier and Butler. Creighton and Dayton are the next two on the list, and should be considered near definite. (Dayton’s biggest issue would be opposition from Xavier.)
Writer also mentions that the new league is expected to begin play in the 2014-2015 season but that there's a chance it could be as soon as next year. Total guess here but I think SOME of the league will be up and running next year but individual teams coming from other conferences (i.e. Creighton) may not want to give such short notice to their existing conference.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back