• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New league? The Big PRIEST?

bilsker

Tom Osborne
15 Year Member
Looks like the 7 catholic schools of the Big East are about to disolve the league. It takes 2/3 vote to make happen. As of right now the Big Least has 10 members but Temple being football can't vote on dissolution...so they have the votes. I posted an article yesterday in the CU thread but this is big enough for it's own thread IMO. Just last night it was in the "talking about stage". Tonight it looks like it's something that's likely to happen within a couple days.

One option is for a merger of the Big East 7 and the A-10...which would ultimately create a 21 team basketball conference. Not sure how attractive that would be. That's a lot of schools trying to divide up the pie.

Another option mention is adding programs like Xavier, St. Louis, Dayton, Butler, Creighton and I think there might have been others mentioned. Taking logistical issues out of the equation...that's a league I could get behind real quick. It's a long-shot but certainly an interesting prospect.

by the way...I was reading comments at the end of the ESPN article and someone posted "The Big Priest"...can't take credit for that. :)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...l/21389753/sources-big-east-expected-to-split

Whether a new league featuring DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova would be called the Big East or something else is, like almost everything else, unresolved. But a source told CBSSports.com that those seven schools would target at least three and perhaps five basketball programs to join them, and that Xavier, Dayton, Saint Louis, Creighton and Butler would be among the targets.

If they go for a 10 team league I'd imagine CU would be a stretch. 12 and they might get an invite.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...l/21389753/sources-big-east-expected-to-split

If they go for a 10 team league I'd imagine CU would be a stretch. 12 and they might get an invite.

I'd be shocked if they went to just 10 schools, assuming the non-football schools in the Big East split. There aren't very many 10-team major basketball conferences anymore. The MWC has nine and the Big XII has 10.

Still, looking at this new potential conference, there are some stinkers in there. DePaul has virtually no history, St. John's hasn't been St. John's in 20 years, same for Seton Hall, Providence has only made two NCAA's this century, and St. Louis wasn't much to get excited over until last season. Obviously those schools sit in huge media markets, and would help expand the Creighton brand into the east coast, but looking from a purely basketball standpoint, Creighton would easily be in the top half of that conference.

I'd be shocked if they went to just 10 schools, assuming the non-football schools in the Big East split. There aren't very many 10-team major basketball conferences anymore. The MWC has nine and the Big XII has 10.

Still, looking at this new potential conference, there are some stinkers in there. DePaul has virtually no history, St. John's hasn't been St. John's in 20 years, same for Seton Hall, Providence has only made two NCAA's this century, and St. Louis wasn't much to get excited over until last season. Obviously those schools sit in huge media markets, and would help expand the Creighton brand into the east coast, but looking from a purely basketball standpoint, Creighton would easily be in the top half of that conference.

Yeah, there are some dogs...as with any conference. But G'Town, Marquette, Villanova...and the hypothetical additions of Butler, Xavier and maybe CU. That has a chance to be a very good basketball league. Currently CU hangs with any of them on the court. Arena and financial committment to basketball I am sure is on par with all but maybe a couple. Academics I'm sure wouldn't be a problem. Obviously Omaha doesn't bring a huge market. Will be an interesting next few days/weeks.

I agree with you on 10 teams...seems too small these days. By the same token I think the talk of a merger with the A-10 to a 20 or 21 team league is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Yeah, there are some dogs...as with any conference. But G'Town, Marquette, Villanova...and the hypothetical additions of Butler, Xavier and maybe CU. That has a chance to be a very good basketball league. Currently CU hangs with any of them on the court. Arena and financial committment to basketball I am sure is on par with all but maybe a couple. Academics I'm sure wouldn't be a problem. Obviously Omaha doesn't bring a huge market. Will be an interesting next few days/weeks.

I agree with you on 10 teams...seems too small these days. By the same token I think the talk of a merger with the A-10 to a 20 or 21 team league is ridiculous.

It would be a tough decision for the AD and school President to make. The MVC has been good to Creighton, but I'd imagine it would be very, very hard to get a phone call from someone at Georgetown or Xavier and decline an invitation. It's looking like Creighton is pretty much taking control of the MVC from a sports standpoint. Their program's may not win conference titles every year, but it seems like Creighton has been by far the most consistently succesful athletic's department over the past 5-10 years, and I really don't see things slowing down either any time soon. So the question would be, if invited, to stay in the MVC and be the big fish in a smaller conference (in terms of media markets and revenue) or be a smaller fish in a bigger conference. Honestly, I think Creighton wins with either decision, assuming the rest of the MVC stays in tact as it is now.

It would be a tough decision for the AD and school President to make. The MVC has been good to Creighton, but I'd imagine it would be very, very hard to get a phone call from someone at Georgetown or Xavier and decline an invitation. It's looking like Creighton is pretty much taking control of the MVC from a sports standpoint. Their program's may not win conference titles every year, but it seems like Creighton has been by far the most consistently succesful athletic's department over the past 5-10 years, and I really don't see things slowing down either any time soon. So the question would be, if invited, to stay in the MVC and be the big fish in a smaller conference (in terms of media markets and revenue) or be a smaller fish in a bigger conference. Honestly, I think Creighton wins with either decision, assuming the rest of the MVC stays in tact as it is now.

CU is certainly in a bit of a "golden age" as far as what IT considers its "major" sports. Men's and women's bball, volleyball and men's soccer. Bball is getting more attention than ever, Soccer was in the final 4 for the second year in a row. Women's volleyball won the conference, was ranked and won a game in the tourney. Not really sure what women's bball is up to. I don't really care about women's sports but obviously an AD would.

Certainly, all sports have to be considered and the expenses related to travel in a new conference. From CU's standpoint that's about the only downside I see. The MVC has been a good conference and still is. But times are changing and you have to change with them. Another thought that I've seen published (not just fans being fans) is the MVC adding Marquette and depaul. That's about the last thing I'd see happening. Those two aren't going to want to ditch the others from the Big East to join the MVC....but if an A-10 merger is what some are thinking I could see where they MAY think that's not a fit for them.

As expected...it's moving fast. The first domino has fallen...the 7 have decided to leave the Big East.

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reporting Xavier & Butler will leave A-10, join Big East's Catholic 7 in unnamed league.

Looking at how it appears this is going, what are the chances of Notre Dam leaving the ACC to join this conference? You would think that if they truly believe they can stay independent in football, joining an all BBall conference would make since.

Personally, I don't think with the playoff soon to come that Notre Dam can remain independent but I'm sure they will hold out as long as possible.

Looking at how it appears this is going, what are the chances of Notre Dam leaving the ACC to join this conference? You would think that if they truly believe they can stay independent in football, joining an all BBall conference would make since.

Personally, I don't think with the playoff soon to come that Notre Dam can remain independent but I'm sure they will hold out as long as possible.

Don't think they'll leave the ACC. ND likes being indy, but they also like the perks of being an unofficial football member of a conference (bowl tie-ins). Plus, ND has to worry about their other non-revenue sports and I think they fancy themselves bigger than Xavier, Butler, Dayton, etc. Nothing against those schools, but I'd fall out of my chair if ND agreed to be in the same conference as Butler.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back