• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

New league? The Big PRIEST?

Looks like things are starting to shape up some.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...catholic-7-talk-tv-deal-commissioners-sources

Fox offered $500M for 12 years based on 12 teams. I'd be surprised if CU didn't get an offer if 12 teams is the way they go. That's about $3.5M per team per year....WAY more than the $300,000 or so CU gets now and $2M more than the bball only members of the Big East get now.

There may be one stumbling block. I've seen it mentioned a couple times now that the "C7" might offer less than full shares to the "new" programs. Not sure how they justify it since they don't have any exit fees. I think I read somewhere where they may try to negotiate a "purchase" of the Big East name? Whatever. I suppose I could see it on a short term basis to cover those kinds of costs and a "bonus" for being the programs that "started" the league. But on a permanent basis? If I was CU I would tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine. Let's say the C7 wanted 4.5M a year and would give the others 2M I'd say "no way".

They may want to take a look at what happened in the Big 12 and think twice about something that stupid. Why would Creighton, Butler, Xavier, etc. agree to that? They all have solid leagues now where they aren't permanent Jr. members. Built in haves and have nots is no way to start a new leaque. And, quite frankly, CU, Butler and Xavier ALL bring more to the table than Depaul, Providence, Seaton Hall and maybe even St. John's. I understand that Depaul and St. John's bring the chicago and NY markets but then again...do they? If you are a college basketball fan who are you more likely to watch? CU/Butler or St. John's/Depaul? This isn't like the Big 10 where they are starting a network and can force cable companies to pick up the Network....it's a basic cable contract. Fox is interested in content and ratings...not getting picked up by Cablevision in Illinois.

Hopefully that's just some misinformation or some sort of "wish" for the C7. If it's a solid requirement I think they might be over estimating themselves.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back