• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked New Husker DB coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well versed on it, have sent a few PM's to people. Some things don't need to be put on a public board. But lets just say Bo has laid out in a numbered format to boosters and administration what he needs/wants (or should get based on what other teams do). That was weeks if not months ago. No one knows if he is going to get what he wants, or if he will even make the call on what or who he gets...

Spend the money! If Louisville can pay their HC $4.5 million, we can pay Bo $3.0 million and spend another $1.5 million on recruiting. Actually we should spend more...just keeping up with the Louiville's of the world isn't good enough. Wake up Administration, or we'll start looking your way too.

Last edited:

Whether the motives are nefarious or not, I think there's a number of people in and around the University that don't believe the football program (or athletic department in general) should increase its expenditures.

The mentality is that the extra money can go toward hiring several more professors or financing various academic programs or projects.

We can debate all we want, but all one needs to do is watch the conference promos during games to see where each conference's priorities lie.

It seems a bit silly to worry about an extra few million when the operating budget seems to be in the $70M to $80M range (though my numbers may be off), and OSU and Michigan are both spending north of $120M a year.

Whether the motives are nefarious or not, I think there's a number of people in and around the University that don't believe the football program (or athletic department in general) should increase its expenditures.

The mentality is that the extra money can go toward hiring several more professors or financing various academic programs or projects.

We can debate all we want, but all one needs to do is watch the conference promos during games to see where each conference's priorities lie.

It seems a bit silly to worry about an extra few million when the operating budget seems to be in the $70M to $80M range (though my numbers may be off), and OSU and Michigan are both spending north of $120M a year.
I thought the NU athletic dept was self sufficient. So the U is going to skim athletic funds to provide for more profs and academic programs? :confused:

Well versed on it, have sent a few PM's to people. Some things don't need to be put on a public board. But lets just say Bo has laid out in a numbered format to boosters and administration what he needs/wants (or should get based on what other teams do). That was weeks if not months ago. No one knows if he is going to get what he wants, or if he will even make the call on what or who he gets...
I'm fine with the hire. But if this is true, and I have no reason not to believe what you are saying ***, that is discouraging to say the least. Are the purse strings tight because that's just the way it is, or they just don't want to support Bo?

Last edited:
I know I've been a vocal critic of Bo, but I'll be as upset as anyone if it's true that the administration is not giving him all the tools to succeed that they'd give to any other coach at NU. If Bo fails I want it to be all on him, not because Harvey, SE, or some booster(s) have a personal vendetta against him and don't provide the resources at their disposal to give him a fair chance of succeeding.
+1

I'm fine with the hire. But if this is true, and I have no reason not to believe what you are saying ***, that is discouraging to say the least. Are the purse strings tight because that's just the way it is, or they just don't want to support Bo?

My guess would be that these administrators do not know what it takes for us to be competitive with the elite in college football. They also are not seeing a tremendous backlash to where we are right now...lots of fans while wanting more seem "satisfied" with 9 or 10 wins a year...so why not just leave well enough alone?

If this request from Bo is accurate, they should give it great consideration. It wouldn't take long for them to consult with a few experts to determine the accuracy of the need and the soundness of the request. I'm no Bo fan, as everyone here knows...but the last thing I want is to keep him from getting the tools, facilities, cash or whatever support he needs to make this program "great" again. If it saves Bo's job because he starts winning championships that would be wonderful, if not...at least the next guy will already have the resources he needs. Spend the money! It will come back to us in spades...there is no better investment in Nebraska than the football team.

Bo needs to do the sales job of his life to get this done...sadly, it is probably on him to convince SE/HP and I'm not real sure Bo is up to that task...this might be a spot for TO to weigh in publically.

Last edited:
I thought the NU athletic dept was self sufficient. So the U is going to skim athletic funds to provide for more profs and academic programs? :confused:

I don't think the program is revenue neutral, so yes, the AD provides funds to the U.

But trying to find good, transparent data on this stuff isn't as easy as it should be.

Getting the U to open the checkbook has been a problem since at least the late 90s.

I recall Tom specifically stating that he was willing to give his name to the field only because Frank had been asking for expansions and other projects for years but to no avail. TO thought his name could at least get the ball going.

I don't know what the "proper level of spending is" but I'm inclined to think that an increase of 10% shouldn't be off limits... that still wouldn't put NU in the top 10 or maybe even 20 with respect to spending (though the validity of the numbers get dicey).

In addition to these community impacts, the athletic department generates benefits
for the University of Nebraska as a whole. Athletic department expenditures include
more than $10 million spent on tuition and purchases of services and support of other
units of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. The department recruits student-athletes
from across the country. The athletic department also generates substantial media
attention for the University, the City of Lincoln, and the State of Nebraska through
approximately 30 appearances each year of Cornhusker teams on national and regional
television.

I don't think there's enough out there to call it a good or bad hire.

I am in the camp that wasn't overly impressed with Joseph, so I will remain hopeful that Warren is an improvement over him.

Last edited:

Sorry, I'm at work. But reading this, it appears the U AD is self sufficient. Top of page 10.

http://www.bbr.unl.edu/documents/athletic_report.pdf

Oh, the AD is definitely self-sufficient.

I thought the question was whether profit went to the general University fund for things like academic enhancements.... I assume it does, but for all I know it's funneled into a slush fund for the Regents' holiday homes.

Assuming that our assumption is correct, the U may say, "we don't care if it's the AD's surplus, you are sending it to the general U, not spending it on various athletic expenditures."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back