• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

"Nerbraska has skinny bigs"

skerBob

Just another unsuspecting mammal
5 Year Member
"Nebraska has skinny bigs." BTN color analyst Jon Crispin used those words to describe Huskers Isaac Copeland, Jr. and Isaiah Roby as they tried their best to stop Iowa's Tyler Cook. Cook was having his way on Saturday night in Lincoln despite Copeland and Roby's best efforts. Cook was just too powerful and routinely got position and then scored. Tim Miles employed the "raid the post" swarming team defense to help them and left Jordy Tshimanga and his bigger body in the game in the second half to at least try and slow Cook down.

While last week I was worried about the Huskers not having a big man with offensive skills being the one thing holding back our offense, now, I am concerned that teams remaining on NU's schedule will try to exploit our smaller lineup. Especially on the road, our offense will not always be able to keep up with an opposing team that is able to move the ball inside so effectively.

Nebraska has several things going for it to counter such a move:
-A coach experienced in trying to win without a dominant big man.
-A team that plays overall solid defense and is able to execute any defensive plan the coaches develop.
-Jordy came back. See Penn State when we didn't have him. His absence was the difference.

I am optimistic that will be enough to put us in the tournament. Can't wait to watch what happens down the stretch. This team is a blast.

Especially those skinny bigs.

Last edited:

I really thought listening to Crispin doing the game last night was awful. One would have thought he was a Husker homer for the most part. Lots of praise, but some really over the top. Then boy was he in love with Cook. He was hard to listen too.

I really thought listening to Crispin doing the game last night was awful. One would have thought he was a Husker homer for the most part. Lots of praise, but some really over the top. Then boy was he in love with Cook. He was hard to listen too.
He was enthusiastic but I give him this, I wish we had Cook. That athletic power is just what we could use inside with the ball.

Last edited:

Copeland 6'9 221
Roby 6'8 226

Cook 6'9 255

Happ (UW) 6'10 235
Minn has 3 centers over 240

Borchardt (265)?
Okeke (247)?
If the comments some made are true, Duby, who would have been a good matchup, was not healthy. Roby is a great off the ball defender. He can slide over on the help side and block shots, all while reducing his potential to pick up fouls.

Im really confused as to why we let them walk all the way in front of the rim and just post up? You are taught even in high school to meet that guy at the free throw line and make him work his way. You should never just give up that kind of position. This seams like a really simple adjustment to me.

I really like the name Duby Okeke. It goes along with other great HUSKER names. I hope he can get to the point where he 'Lites It Up'. :Giggle:

Copeland 6'9 221
Roby 6'8 226

Cook 6'9 255

Happ (UW) 6'10 235
Minn has 3 centers over 240

Borchardt (265)?
Okeke (247)?

The trade off is that Borchardt and Okeke are offensive liability’s Okeke more than Borchardt. Those guys can’t be playing 20 minuets a game if there stat line says 2pts 2 boards, 3 fouls and 4 turnovers.

I would give the minutes to Borchardt. Okeke is a physical specimen, but he picks up a lot of dumb fouls.

The trade off is that Borchardt and Okeke are offensive liability’s Okeke more than Borchardt. Those guys can’t be playing 20 minuets a game if there stat line says 2pts 2 boards, 3 fouls and 4 turnovers.

I would give the minutes to Borchardt. Okeke is a physical specimen, but he picks up a lot of dumb fouls.
Fouls are a part of the game. Coaches and players know that there are times that you are more than happy to give up a few fouls. When you have a scorer you want to slow down, sometimes you need to check his heart. Jordy had some guys feeling his presence, and on at least one occasion, we saw a guy get out of his game.

Cook’s game is entirely based on position, position he gets with his strength and movement. His first slam against Copeland, while likely being an offensive foul, was all about getting within 3 feet of the rim and clearing space with a shoulder to Copeland’s chest. He can’t do that against Duby or Jordy. I think it was a positive in slowing him down in certain stretches of the game.

I’m kind of amazed at the number of guys who b*tch about the coaching while the team just keeps improving every game.

I wish we had a second shot at OSU. I think we can beat them!

Have we improved over the last 6 seasons as a whole on an upward tragedtory? No we’ve been wildly inconsistent and only good when we have the best player on the floor. Miles is not a good schematic coach and he’s done nothing to develop talent on his teams. Guys transfer bc they don’t respect him and we rely on transfers every year to put a bandade on what’s happening

Coach M is between a rock and a hard place. He found out that we are a much better offensive team with the skinny/smaller line up. That hurts us defensively and especially defensive rebounding. I'm afraid he's gonna have to go with what is working for the rest of the year, see if it continues to keep us near the line in the B1G to make the dance, and hopefully FINALLY win a tourney game!!!
Next year, better get some or develop some BIG BOYS who can play both ends of the court.

Have we improved over the last 6 seasons as a whole on an upward tragedtory? No we’ve been wildly inconsistent and only good when we have the best player on the floor. Miles is not a good schematic coach and he’s done nothing to develop talent on his teams. Guys transfer bc they don’t respect him and we rely on transfers every year to put a bandade on what’s happening
Are they a better team this season? Anyone who’s paid attention would know what happened and that they will welcome the success this year!

So typical of your opinion!

Are they a better team this season? Anyone who’s paid attention would know what happened and that they will welcome the success this year!

So typical of your opinion!

Sadler and Collier both had a better winning percentage over their respective careers here. To say its ok that we've been a dumpster fire half of the time Miles has been here but its ok bc he wins every few years is setting the bar incredibly low.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back