• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska vs Wyoming Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm certain I'm not saying anything I haven't said before ... maybe a couple of twists....

I was certain tonight that the Wyoming QB was going to make our defense look silly on occasion... thus predicting the Cowboys to score 27. Didn't think Smith and the rest of the offense would mostly shred us most of the game.

I know I have said before... Bo is a very good defensive coordinator... but that does not necessarily equate to being a very good head coach. While he still has a finger or two in the defensive game plan, it can't be his full-time job. However, having Carl on staff was an extension of Bo. That's no longer the case. And I don't know what the answer is. But I am embarrassed. Yes, we're young defensively. But what's the proof that this defense will ever become dominant? There's just nothing to suggest that in recent seasons. We can hope. Maybe the talent is an upgrade. But is that enough?

Tonight's game was much like UCLA last season. But with a heckuva lot less talent from Wyoming. And fortunate the game was in Lincoln.

Heck, maybe the 2013 Huskers do finish with a better record than we've seen before with Bo. But if so, it's more about an easier schedule than a significantly better team. At least that's the early knee-jerk reaction thought.

Yes, only week one. It's just that we've said this before. You see the red flags (not friendly NU red) and you hope it's just a week one concern. But right now, UCLA, Michigan, and Northwestern should scare the heck out of Husker fans. And anyone discounting Penn State today is silly. Their freshman QB was outstanding -- three months removed from the high school classroom. (And Syracuse is no slouch -- having pounded Louisville last season and hammering West Virginia in a bowl game....and scored more points against all of their opponents in the last 7 games last season than they were able to put up against PSU today.) Right now -- as of today -- things can and probably will change -- Nebraska is no better than 5th or 6th in the Big Ten.

Husker fans just wanted today's game to show that we are headed in the right direction. That's all. I didn't see it. Did you? Let's hope for improvement. Major improvement. Let's hope we have a coaching staff capable of doing just that. Certainly no reason to expect wins against any opponent. Certainly no reason to downplay the competition. We need to worry about our own team.

Husker fans just wanted today's game to show that we are headed in the right direction. That's all. I didn't see it. Did you? Let's hope for improvement. Major improvement. Let's hope we have a coaching staff capable of doing just that. Certainly no reason to expect wins against any opponent. Certainly no reason to downplay the competition. We need to worry about our own team.
More de ja vu than headed in the right direction. Hopefully the players improve five fold and the coaches can help that happen.

More de ja vu than headed in the right direction. Hopefully the players improve five fold and the coaches can help that happen.

It is tiring. Every time you think we have an opponent that we think we could/should capably dominate, we end up upset, frustrated, and disgruntled. And some fans may come up with excuses. But that number of fans is dwindling.

I watched tonight's Nebraska game at a bar in downtown Austin with several other Husker fans. Plenty of burnt orange roaming around the city, as you can imagine. (Why do hot girls have to wear that darn burnt orange?!) Anyhow, Texas fans were pleased. Yes, easy opponent in New Mexico State. But UT took care of business. Set their all-time record for total offense in one game. God, I wish some day I could see the Huskers absolutely dismantle an inferior opponent. Please don't make me jealous of the Longhorns.

I watched tonight's Nebraska game at a bar in downtown Austin with several other Husker fans. Plenty of burnt orange roaming around the city, as you can imagine. (Why do hot girls have to wear that darn burnt orange?!) Anyhow, Texas fans were pleased. Yes, easy opponent in New Mexico State. But UT took care of business. Set their all-time record for total offense in one game. God, I wish some day I could see the Huskers absolutely dismantle an inferior opponent. Please don't make me jealous of the Longhorns.
Don't go to the dark side HW. The Longhorns are the devil! :lol:

I really thought we would dismantle Wyoming tonight. I was actually worried that tonights game might make us appear better than we really were as I felt we would come out on fire and dictate what we wanted to do on offense and the youth on defense would overwhelm the outmatched UW offense.

Nope, not feeling overconfident one bit.:thumbsup:

My late night post game thoughts.

Beware, read at your own risk. I’m not in a good mood about what I saw.

When does a win feel like a loss? When you don’t finish.

Nebraska had yet another of their patented complete mental meltdowns in the fourth quarter again and did everything but drag an overmatched opponent across the finish line in what would have been one of the worst losses in Nebraska history.

Visions of losses to outmanned Iowa State and Southern Miss from the past were dancing in the heads of a bewildered fan base far too late into the evening. It is hard to even describe what we just witnessed.

Did we really almost lose to . . . that?

I have said that I believe this team will only go as far as Taylor Martinez will lead them. Well tonight, Taylor Martinez showed us once again that in year four of the Taylor Martinez experiment, we still can’t trust him.

I’m sorry. Tonight wasn’t just his fault. And I know he has fans that will defend him to Hell and back. But leadership has its burdens. Experienced leaders are held to a higher standard than Freshmen. To put it as simply as I can, a fourth year starter at QB just CANNOT throw that interception at that point in the game. An unbelievable mistake in judgment from the leader of the team who led Wyoming right back into a game that they were dead, and that is the word . . . DEAD . . . with no chance or hope of winning. Pushing an exhausted Wyoming defense all over the field, we trusted Martinez to handle one passing situation. A FG slams the door. We do not need this first down. Throw the bleeping thing away if you have to, but under no circumstances throw a ball that could even possibly be intercepted. Right on cue, the leader led the team into the abyss. We didn’t do a thing right the rest of the way.

You cannot throw that pass. You can’t. You can’t. You can’t.

Two plays later (and two blown plays), Wyoming had an easy touchdown. We gave it to them. The sad thing is, we really didn’t even need to stop them. We just needed to slow them up a little. But no, our defender instead of tackling the receiver throws himself into the air in a desperate attempt to knock down a pass. When you are out of position and up by 16 with time ticking down, just breakdown and get ready to tackle the guy. You don’t need to make that type of play. Oops.

But the meltdown was just beginning. After all, we stopped them on the two-point play. Hey, we sacked a QB and didn’t get a roughing the passer penalty to boot.

Then came the fourth and one. Hmm. Surely we could get one stinking half inch. Forget the fact that we had already failed to convert two third and inches earlier in the game (although our old friend—the false start penalty—played a role in those). Surely we wouldn’t go donut for three on getting a half inch. Was anybody really surprised we tried a QB sneak and the entire defense was there? When you have players check out of a game mentally, I’m not sure there is a play in the playbook that is going to work. Our offensive line wasn’t going to block anybody anyway.

With our players having decided . . . AGAIN . . . that we weren’t going to finish out a game, Nebraska fans probably took comfort in the fact that there really wasn’t time for Wyoming to mount much of a threat.

Oops, we let a WR get behind us and presto, another easy touchdown that a third grader could have scored.

But that’s okay, even though we just gave them an easy 13 points as fast as we could possibly give it to them, there was less than two minutes to go.

The onside kick. Of course we can’t recover it. That would mean someone would have to check back into the game. We simply slap out of bounds. Give that guy a gold star—gee, was that effort we just saw? Wyoming must have wondered how one of our players woke up from his sound nap enough to think of that.

Okay, Wyoming has three timeouts. So what happens on the second play? Our RB takes off like bat out of Hell straight out of bounds. Duh! Gee Coach, was that a bad play or what? And of course, we cannot convert on third and five. So we punt and pin them deep with 1:20 left.

Luckily, Wyoming makes a couple of mistakes and really mismanages the clock badly. One sequence had them come up short of a first down giving them a fourth and one with the clock ticking. Wouldn’t it have been nice if they didn’t have that timeout our RB saved for them? They call timeout and convert. Fortunately, they have another penalty on the next play that not only cost them yards, but kept the clock moving. With 11 seconds left, their QB runs around the pocket like a pinball bouncing off would-be defenders and is forced to throw the ball away.

Husker win. Yeah baby.

Now, there were some good things in this win. And yes, we are young. But we have seen this before, again and again. Our entire team goes completely numb between the ears when we are poised to truly make a statement and take a team step forward. Don’t forget the missed extra point out of nowhere by the way.

We beat Wyoming. Then we beat ourselves. And then we hung on for a victory.

Sound familiar? It’s eerie.

We had Wyoming completely beaten down. In spite of the rough start by our defense, we had regrouped and played some solid football. But then the farceworks went off and we all went for the ride.

Somebody has got to step up and put a stop to this crap. It isn’t acceptable to take plays off—to just check out of a game and start going through the motions. Had we played a good team tonight, we would have lost. But if we had played a good team, I doubt we would have had the luxury of checking out and watching the game from whatever galaxy we were floating in.

Put teams away. Show some killer instinct.

We have a young team. But young players learn from the experienced players before them. We have seen this garbage for over a decade now thru three complete coaching staffs. It seems to be passed from one generation of players to another. Maybe Taylor Martinez is the guy to lead us out of this mental fog in the long run. But tonight, he led us back into the fog with that interception. And the team followed.

Over all, I thought Martinez had played pretty well until that interception. Next great, but solid. Kudos to Imani Cross on one of the best TD runs we may see all year. Kudos to Stanley Jean-Baptiste who came ready to play tonight and had three great plays that I saw in the first half. Kenny Bell came to play. Man, was that a great tackle in punt coverage? Quincy Enunwa is a beast in the red zone. Where did Abdullah go? And why did we suddenly bring him back at the end?

Terrell Newby. . . . Enough said. Smile Husker fans, he is special.

Jake Long with two key mistakes early on to kill drives on third down. Wyoming scored on the next possession both times.

Nice to see Gregory have his first career sack nullified with a . . . roughing the passer penalty—NOT.

I thought in the first half, the defensive line was playing with a high pad level. Tough to play defense that way. The third quarter was much better. Wyoming really wasn’t getting a lot on the ground. Of course, they would have success in the air late in the game. Rotating so many players may also have played a part in our defensive inconsistency.

I have a few other thoughts to share but I think I will just shut it down for now. Thinking about that end of the game makes me nauseous.

Next week, Southern Miss comes calling. We’ll see how many quarters the team feels like playing next week.

For now, “enjoy” the “victory”. We are 1-0. Life ain’t so bad, right?

Take care all.

Last edited:

Nebraska had yet another of their patented complete mental meltdowns in the fourth quarter again and did everything but drag an overmatched opponent across the finish line in what would have been one of the worst losses in Nebraska history.

Visions of losses to outmanned Iowa State and Southern Miss from the past were dancing in the heads of a bewildered fan base far too late into the evening. It is hard to even describe what we just witnessed.

I have said that I believe this team will only go as far as Taylor Martinez will lead them. Well tonight, Taylor Martinez showed us once again that in year four of the Taylor Martinez experiment, we still can’t trust him.

I’m sorry. Tonight wasn’t just his fault. And I know he has fans that will defend him to Hell and back. But leadership has its burdens. Experienced leaders are held to a higher standard than Freshmen. To put it as simply as I can, a fourth year starter at QB just CANNOT throw that interception at that point in the game. An unbelievable mistake in judgment from the leader of the team who led Wyoming right back into a game that they were dead, and that is the word . . . DEAD . . . with no chance or hope of winning. Pushing an exhausted Wyoming defense all over the field, we trusted Martinez to handle one passing situation. A FG slams the door. We do not need this first down. Throw the bleeping thing away if you have to, but under no circumstances throw a ball that could even possibly be intercepted. Right on cue, the leader led the team into the abyss. We didn’t do a thing right the rest of the way.

Two plays later (and two blown plays), Wyoming had an easy touchdown. We gave it to them. The sad thing is, we really didn’t even need to stop them. We just needed to slow them up a little. But no, our defender instead of tackling the receiver throws himself into the air in a desperate attempt to knock down a pass. When you are out of position and up by 16 with time ticking down, just breakdown and get ready to tackle the guy. You don’t need to make that type of play. Oops.

But the meltdown was just beginning. After all, we stopped them on the two-point play. Hey, we sacked a QB and didn’t get a roughing the passer penalty to boot.

Then came the fourth and one. Hmm. Surely we could get one stinking half inch. Forget the fact that we had already failed to convert two third and inches earlier in the game (although our old friend—the false start penalty—played a role in those). Surely we wouldn’t go donut for three on getting a half inch. Was anybody really surprised we tried a QB sneak and the entire defense was there? When you have players check out of a game mentally, I’m not sure there is a play in the playbook that is going to work. Our offensive line wasn’t going to block anybody anyway.

With our players having decided . . . AGAIN . . . that we weren’t going to finish out a game, Nebraska fans probably took comfort in the fact that there really wasn’t time for Wyoming to mount much of a threat.

Oops, we let a WR get behind us and presto, another easy touchdown that a third grader could have scored.

But that’s okay, even though we just gave them an easy 13 points as fast as we could possibly give it to them, there was less than two minutes to go.

The onside kick. Of course we can’t recover it. That would mean someone would have to check back into the game. We simply slap out of bounds. Give that guy a gold star—gee, was that effort we just saw? Wyoming must have wondered how one of our players woke up from his sound nap enough to think of that.

Okay, Wyoming has three timeouts. So what happens on the second play? Our RB takes off like bat out of Hell straight out of bounds. Duh! Gee Coach, was that a bad play or what? And of course, we cannot convert on third and five. So we punt and pin them deep with 1:20 left.

Luckily, Wyoming makes a couple of mistakes and really mismanages the clock badly. One sequence had them come up short of a first down giving them a fourth and one with the clock ticking. Wouldn’t it have been nice if they didn’t have that timeout our RB saved for them? They call timeout and convert. Fortunately, they have another penalty on the next play that not only cost them yards, but kept the clock moving. With 11 seconds left, their QB runs around the pocket like a pinball bouncing off would-be defenders and is forced to throw the ball away.

Husker win. Yeah baby.

Now, there were some good things in this win. And yes, we are young. But we have seen this before, again and again. Our entire team goes completely numb between the ears when we are poised to truly make a statement and take a team step forward. Don’t forget the missed extra point out of nowhere by the way.

We had Wyoming completely beaten down. In spite of the rough start by our defense, we had regrouped and played some solid football. But then the farceworks went off and we all went for the ride.

Somebody has got to step up and put a stop to this crap. It isn’t acceptable to take plays off—to just check out of a game and start going through the motions. Had we played a good team tonight, we would have lost. But if we had played a good team, I doubt we would have had the luxury of checking out and watching the game from whatever galaxy we were floating in.

We have a young team. But young players learn from the experienced players before them. We have seen this garbage for over a decade now thru three complete coaching staffs. It seems to be passed from one generation of players to another. Maybe Taylor Martinez is the guy to lead us out of this mental fog in the long run. But tonight, he led us back into the fog with that interception. And the team followed.

Over all, I thought Martinez had played pretty well until that interception. Next great, but solid. Kudos to Imani Cross on one of the best TD runs we may see all year. Kudos to Stanley Jean-Baptiste who came ready to play tonight and had three great plays that I saw in the first half. Kenny Bell came to play. Man, was that a great tackle in punt coverage? Quincy Enunwa is a beast in the red zone. Where did Abdullah go? And why did we suddenly bring him back at the end?

Jake Long with two key mistakes early on to kill drives on third down. Wyoming scored on the next possession both times.

Nice to see Gregory have his first career sack nullified with a . . . roughing the passer penalty—NOT.

I thought in the first half, the defensive line was playing with a high pad level. Tough to play defense that way. The third quarter was much better. Wyoming really wasn’t getting a lot on the ground. Of course, they would have success in the air late in the game. Rotating so many players may also have played a part in our defensive inconsistency.

I have a few other thoughts to share but I think I will just shut it down for now. Thinking about that end of the game makes me nauseous.

Next week, Southern Miss comes calling. We’ll see how many quarters the team feels like playing next week.

For now, “enjoyâ€￾ the “victoryâ€￾. We are 1-0. Life ain’t so bad, right?

Take care all.

On a positive note, the kicking game is looking pretty solid.

And they didn't score for the first 29 minutes of the game so they were an embarrasement the first half....team with a pulse they get dominated.

Well said...I can't argue with one bit of it....and that's sad....

Husker win. Yeah baby.

For now, “enjoy” the “victory”. We are 1-0. Life ain’t so bad, right?

Take care all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back