• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska vs Rutgers + 1 Game Thread (12/18/20)

It was a tale of two different half's

The way it end in the second half showed great poise, leadership and determination on his part combined with athletic ability and 407 yards of offense he rose to the pinnacle

To me that days it all
He had a great second half. He still needs to do it consistently but I have hope he will. He has a body of work that shows he’s turnover prone. He has a body of work that says he can’t consistently make throws down field. I’m happy for him and the team. I love his interviews and think he’s a damn smart kid. They would be foolish however if they didn’t try to find someone to come in here and compete with him next season.

Defense has looked very solid for a young unit. Last year posters where concerned the line would take a few steps back. I really wasn’t as I believe these kids have a lot of upside. Offensive line is going to be studs. I’ve been preaching all year they are young. Three freshmen, a sophomore, and one senior. That’s a young line physically. Good win all around. Love my huskers!

To those saying Martinez was mvp I’m sorry but four turnovers do disqualify him from that. The defense bailed him out big time. Only 14 points off four turnovers is the defense stepping up. MVP is Mills and the offensive line. Mills was a beast tonight. This isn’t to bash Martinez as I do like him but reality is you can’t turn it over that many times and consistently win games.

Last edited:
To those saying Martinez was mvp I’m sorry but four turnovers do disqualify him from that. The defense bailed him out big time. Only 14 points off four turnovers is the defense stepping up. MVP is Mills and the offensive line. Mills was a beast tonight. This isn’t to bash Martinez as I do like him but reality is you can’t turn it over that many times and consistently win games.
It was a great win and I'm happy the kids overcame adversity, but you are 100% correct. Against most other teams in the BigTen, Martinez' performance would have resulted in a loss. We were simply fortunate their run defnese was so porous last night otherwise this would have been yet another 'shoot yourself in the foot' loss. Adrian is just not the guy to lead this team where we want to be. I love his heart, but he's a walking mistake machine.

Last edited:
It was nice to see a game plan that exploited the opponent’s weakness. I expected something similar to this vs Minnesota, who are terrible in run defense. Even last night, there were moments that got too cute. I recall a short 1st and goal where Mills never touched the ball for 4 downs, but eventually still secured the TD by pushing Martinez across the line. I think that could be a metaphor for the entire game or maybe season. But on 1st down there, I’d expected a handoff to Mills up the gut and would have expected a score. Instead we got cutesy stuff.

On the one hand, I‘m glad Frost is so confident in his offensive scheme. I’m sure it works great when all the ingredients are in place. But on the other hand, it’s perplexing when everything is served up on a plate and you refuse to eat.

It was nice to see a game plan that exploited the opponent’s weakness. I expected something similar to this vs Minnesota, who are terrible in run defense. Even last night, there were moments that got too cute. I recall a short 1st and goal where Mills never touched the ball for 4 downs, but eventually still secured the TD by pushing Martinez across the line. I think that could be a metaphor for the entire game or maybe season. But on 1st down there, I’d expected a handoff to Mills up the gut and would have expected a score. Instead we got cutesy stuff.

On the one hand, I‘m glad Frost is so confident in his offensive scheme. I’m sure it works great when all the ingredients are in place. But on the other hand, it’s perplexing when everything is served up on a plate and you refuse to eat.
It needs a consistent running attack and last night they got it. I really hope Mills decides to stay.

Agree

Couldn’t agree more! Very rare you get a W out of that kind of performance, but superior talent will usually prevail in this type of game which is what occurred. Actually should have been a blow out, but special teams were abysmal (other than AM2’s quick kick early on) and kept a much less talented team in the game. I hope HCSF eventually realizes special teams play is worth a minimum of +/- 3 - 7 points per game...tonight’s special teams were at least a -7 points (just with the KO TD return), however, we still managed to get the W which is rare, considering we most likely lose if that occurs against an equally talented team (i.e. Iowa last year). Think about it...we’ve lost 12 games over the last three seasons by only ONE score...how many more W’s would we have secured with significantly improved special teams play? I would wager at least 5-6 more W’s...Securing a top Special Teams coach would pay huge dividends!
6 wins this season, playing well

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back