• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska satellite camp hashtag appears to be #SpreadTheRed (CA Camp Updates)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you needed to lose 50 pounds you can't get there before you lose 5, 10, 20, etc. lbs. The satellite camps appear to have met their initial goals. Yes, the ULTIMATE goal is to improve recruiting. And we can't know that until, at the SOONEST, February. But the results may build in years to come.

The reality is there is probably almost no downside (unless you count the money spent...and that's really only a downside if you're re-directing that money from some other productive endeavor). And a lot of upside. I like deals with limited downside and large upside.
Good post...I think the camps were a great idea.

One thing though, unlike weight-loss, you can make huge leaps in recruiting quickly. Incremental progress is fine, but lots of schools including DONU (see BC) have taken big leaps in recruiting quickly.

Last edited:

Was it ever specifically stated by MR what the specific goals were prior to the camps?

If not? No one here would know IF they had been "accomplished".
And, would he spell out the true goal in public, especially given the objections of the SEC/ACC who consider the camps as recruiting tours, which could be considered against the rules?

I think just the fact they were able to work with some current commits that couldn't attend BRW (Wilson and POB) and hopefully solidify their commitment or give them some techniques to work on to help them develop prior to getting on campus makes these camps successful

I do not believe THAT for a nano-second. That said, I am not saying their goal was to get commitments at the camp, recruiting takes time...but the camps should lead to commitments.

I think their ultimate goal was to re-establish connections with schools/players/locations that Nebraska once was highly thought of with. I think 1b was to re-brand themselves as Nebraska coaches, not Oregon State coaches. Give themselves more power when tweeting, calling, or texting someone.

I think their biggest goal was to create a relationship with staffs where if they have someone in 2017/18 they take them up to visit Nebraska on an unofficial before others are in on them. The goal of this satellite camp circuit was not for the 2016 class in my opinion. It was building a foundation for future recruiting classes. The ultimate goal is not to find kids at these satellite camps. It's to have such a relationship and trust built up in a certain area that when they have someone Power5 worthy, the high school coach has alerted the staff and encouraged the kid to take a visit or listen to what the coaches are saying.

This...and they spoke about it before they started....

I think their ultimate goal was to re-establish connections with schools/players/locations that Nebraska once was highly thought of with. I think 1b was to re-brand themselves as Nebraska coaches, not Oregon State coaches. Give themselves more power when tweeting, calling, or texting someone.

I think their biggest goal was to create a relationship with staffs where if they have someone in 2017/18 they take them up to visit Nebraska on an unofficial before others are in on them. The goal of this satellite camp circuit was not for the 2016 class in my opinion. It was building a foundation for future recruiting classes. The ultimate goal is not to find kids at these satellite camps. It's to have such a relationship and trust built up in a certain area that when they have someone Power5 worthy, the high school coach has alerted the staff and encouraged the kid to take a visit or listen to what the coaches are saying.

Trust me, the ultimate goal is to get prospects attending these camps to commit by February.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_20ecdcd6-0625-11e5-9e4d-c39c0b6f6e9c.html
Riley said he'd prefer as many prospects as possible attend Nebraska's camps that start next week, but, for those who can't pay to travel to those camps, the satellite camps help "Nebraska come to them." Riley will work the camps along with NU assistants.

Last edited:

Dead on.

...not to mention that the camp format is an incredibly efficient way to evaluate a ton of prospects from talent-rich areas to see who is worthy of an offer.

2016 commits is a ways down the list of priorities, IMO.

Trust me, the ultimate goal is to get prospects attending these camps to commit by February.

:dighole:

Last edited:

This.

Recruiting efforts that do not lead to prospects committing = waste of time and money. Goal = getting recruiting prospects to commit.

I can't make it any simpler for you guys.

Exactly.

Recruiting efforts that do not lead to prospects committing = waste of time and money. Goal = getting recruiting prospects to commit.

I don't think anyone is arguing that we would like to get commitments from these. But if they don't result in commitments, it does not mean it was a waste of time and money in the least. Look no further than our already committed QB getting a chance to work with our staff for the first time and do drills with them. If he solidifies and is here in the summer of 2016 because of this Dallas camp, and nothing else happens in terms of more commitments from this event, I would not consider the Dallas stop a waste of time and money.

Gotta look big picture in my opinion, not solely end result. First year, lay some massive ground work. I doubt this staff cares if any recruits come from these satellite camps with 200 offers out to uncommitted recruits currently.

Last edited:

Relationship building takes time and effort. Not likely to get a huge amount of instant gratification from these events. Long-term it will pay off... but it might be hard to prove inside of a week after the camps are completed. Under your logic maybe they should stop hosting camps in Lincoln as well???

I don't think anyone is arguing that we would like to get commitments from these. But if they don't result in commitments, it does not mean it was a waste of time and money in the least. Look no further than our already committed QB getting a chance to work with our staff for the first time and do drills with them. If he solidifies and is here in the summer of 2016 because of this Dallas camp, and nothing else happens in terms of more commitments from this event, I would not consider the Dallas stop a waste of time and money.

Gotta look big picture in my opinion, not solely end result. First year, lay some massive ground work. I doubt this staff cares if any recruits come from these satellite camps with 200 offers out to uncommitted recruits currently.

Most start up businesses do not expect to turn a profit until the third year, this may be similar. Certainly there are "long term" considerations, that's why you embark on the effort...but everything involves winning commitments, whether this year or beyond. The staff will be tracking the success of the camps, based on results (commitments) or potential for results. In three years we may discontinue the camps or double the number. I trust MR to make the camps successful, but also to discontinue them, if they are not. I guess we will see...I expect, good results, as quickly as February.

Relationship building takes time and effort. Not likely to get a huge amount of instant gratification from these events. Long-term it will pay off... but it might be hard to prove inside of a week after the camps are completed. Under your logic maybe they should stop hosting camps in Lincoln as well???
Generally agree...only disagreement is that it is possible that it does not pay off long-term.

We are trying to get "in" with these kids earlier and more often...so they are ready to sign in February, or next February, or the February after that...etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back