• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska @ Indiana Game Thread (6pm CT)

I don't disagree that football fell short of the collective expectations. I wouldn't disagree if you said football often falls short of expectations. I was expecting the defense to struggle and 2 regular season losses. I expected the offense to hold the team up. Had you told me Martinez and Long (to name 2) would be injured for a majority of the season, 4 losses would sound reasonable, if not better than what I would have predicted. If you told me we'd play GA again in a bowl game, I'd have predicted a loss. Not sure of how short of my adjusted expectations the team fell...if at all...

Sometimes expectations need adjusting as we go.

Same in basketball. I didn't expect much better than .500 this year. After watching the team a few times this season, I was pleased and started expecting more. Then low and behold, I didn't expect the recent losses to PennSt and Illinois. Technically they didn't meet my expectations after adjusting them...and now I expect a decent showing vs a good Wisky team in Lincoln and a win or two in the BIG tourney. Hope they meet those expectations!

And my point is when the "collective" expectation is so low (as it normally is with NU basketball) it's not as hard to exceed them. There's only one way to go basically. Comparing the two collective expectations regarding football and basketball is about as valid as Osborne to Pelini. Do you disagree?

Not at all. It just gets frustrating when there are those on the board who make excuses for the football team not meeting expectations. I also felt a 2 loss season was very obtainable. We fell short for numerous reasons and some were negatives. There is nothing wrong with bringing up the negatives but some are offended by that.

Nobody expects championships every year in any sport but every team has an expectation level, and football fell short last season, without a doubt. Basketball blew by theirs, without a doubt. Next season, more will be expected of the hoops team than what was expected this year. Thats just the way it works.

Considering many still have national champs as the expectation, it's highly unlikely. Can't exceed the best! If our football team is picked to finish dead last ala the basketball team, I'm pretty confident we will :thumbsup:
I'm afraid if your expectations for 2014 are a National title, your expectations are way too high. I'd be happy with 10-2 regular season, and an extra win in the post-season. That would exceed my realistic expectations.

Not at all. It just gets frustrating when there are those on the board who make excuses for the football team not meeting expectations. I also felt a 2 loss season was very obtainable. We fell short for numerous reasons and some were negatives. There is nothing wrong with bringing up the negatives but some are offended by that.

Nobody expects championships every year in any sport but every team has an expectation level, and football fell short last season, without a doubt. Basketball blew by theirs, without a doubt. Next season, more will be expected of the hoops team than what was expected this year. Thats just the way it works.
REDo, we fell short mainly due to injuries. C'mon, you know that's true. If the Offense stays reasonably healthy we get two more wins, at least.

REDo, we fell short mainly due to injuries. C'mon, you know that's true. If the Offense stays reasonably healthy we get two more wins, at least.

That was a huge factor. But included in the negatives for why we fell short is turnovers, poor special teams and an inconsistency of defensive fundamentals.

I am not going to have the same old argument about the football team on the basketball board.

That was a huge factor. But included in the negatives for why we fell short is turnovers, poor special teams and an inconsistency of defensive fundamentals.

I am not going to have the same old argument about the football team on the basketball board.
So, you don't think they would have won two more games if the offense stays healthy?

I'm afraid if your expectations for 2014 are a National title, your expectations are way too high. I'd be happy with 10-2 regular season, and an extra win in the post-season. That would exceed my realistic expectations.

That is crazy talk. I doubt you can find one person on HuskerMax that has expectations of the 2014 team winning the national title.

And for the population as a whole, there is absolutely no way Nebraska football has exceeded expectations any of the past four seasons.

It has to suck to be an Indiana basketball fan today. Given their history as a basketball dynasty, losing both games this season to a program as historically bad as Nebraska's must be similar to how we would probably feel if our football team was blown out by Indiana at home.

That being said, I am quite happy today......:happyrun:

We share your joy! :happyrun:

Last edited:

I know what you are saying, but it is totally subjective. Some of us always want a championship, period. Some, like you, are happy with a "good year".

I, for one, will never settle for a "good year". :) I'll take it, but, more is better. :)

Also, it is not impossible, we go all the way, even though it is highly improbable.

Just like this basketball team, we had no expectations they would reach #4 or #5 in the
conference. Hey, if we get in, I won't hold my breath, but with our D, how far can we go?

I know, seriously, we won't go all the way. Hey, If we can reach the Sweet 16, that, in
itself, would be a miracle. :koolaid:

I'm just saying. :) No, I am not on drugs. :popcorn: I'm just dreaming? ;)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back