• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska and Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okay ... more good stuff from me.

Mack has done much more than Bo -- and their first six years are no comparison (Mack's team ranked every season -- 5 of 6 years in the top 15 -- two in the top 10). Year 7 and 8 for Mack were even more outstanding, including a national title. I do understand the low level the Horns have achieved the past 3-4 seasons -- and that's exactly why Mack's head is on a platter right now. He may be saving himself this season (solid turnaround), but he may not be. Regardless, Mack's career >>>> Bo's.

Now, here's what I love about Tom:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=1325873

I'm not a win-loss type of guy. I'm a quality win-quality loss type of guy.

I'm here to teach... to love ... to hold hands... to make each of you a better person (that's a quote from me, not Tom).

Even the most jaded Longhorn fan would be appalled if told that Bo and Mack have had similar careers as a head coach.

Pretty sure he does, not sure about Mack, I am aware of the Diaz thing, but I don't know alot about it. I just think when you change your staff it can result in set backs on the field. Bo doesn't seem to be the guy to fire someone mid season. I think he wouldn't do that due to families and moving and what not. But I am guessing.

I tend to agree. I haven't followed the Texas assistants that closely, but I'm sure there have been staff changes there, too.

I did teach you that it's more than just wins and losses. Recall the quote for why Osborne let Callahan go? I'll dig it up again, if needed. To me, as Tom Osborne said when defending his firing of Cally -- it wasn't just about wins and losses.

There was a huge culture problem that probably was uncorrectable. I don't see that with Bo.

Okay ... more good stuff from me.

Mack has done much more than Bo -- and their first six years are no comparison (Mack's team ranked every season -- 5 of 6 years in the top 15 -- two in the top 10). Year 7 and 8 for Mack were even more outstanding, including a national title. I do understand the low level the Horns have achieved the past 3-4 seasons -- and that's exactly why Mack's head is on a platter right now. He may be saving himself this season (solid turnaround), but he may not be. Regardless, Mack's career >>>> Bo's.

Now, here's what I love about Tom:

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=1325873

I'm not a win-loss type of guy. I'm a quality win-quality loss type of guy.

I'm here to teach... to love ... to hold hands... to make each of you a better person (that's a quote from me, not Tom).

I'm just not seeing Bo as being in the same ballpark of incompetency as Callahan. And, as I mentioned before, the culture issues were a huge problem. Getting rid of Steve Pederson was part of it, but Callahan was another part of it.

Osborne also made it pretty clear that, while it wasn't just about wins and losses, if Callahan were to win enough games that they could probably make it work. If I recall correctly, 7 or 8 wins likely would have been enough to keep him on board, regardless of the rest of it.

So I think we can agree that while it's more than just winning football games, winning is still a component. And if you win enough games and avoid the off-field problems with players and the NCAA, then that should be enough.

There was a huge culture problem that probably was uncorrectable. I don't see that with Bo.

Absolutely. It was a no-brainer with Callahan. And it certainly isn't that clear-cut with Bo.

On the other hand, I think Frank was generally much more respected by a larger percentage -- both locally and nationally -- than is Bo at this time.

I'm just not seeing Bo as being in the same ballpark of incompetency as Callahan. And, as I mentioned before, the culture issues were a huge problem. Getting rid of Steve Pederson was part of it, but Callahan was another part of it.

Osborne also made it pretty clear that, while it wasn't just about wins and losses, if Callahan were to win enough games that they could probably make it work. If I recall correctly, 7 or 8 wins likely would have been enough to keep him on board, regardless of the rest of it.

So I think we can agree that while it's more than just winning football games, winning is still a component. And if you win enough games and avoid the off-field problems with players and the NCAA, then that should be enough.

Kind of a frightening concept then? 7 or 8 wins, and Tom would have retained Callahan?!? Even more evidence that it shouldn't be about a particular number.

Look -- I'm certainly not saying Bo is on the same level as Bill. I would think/hope no one ever would fall that far. But I am saying that there are some similar trends in terms of bad losses and lack of quality wins.

Absolutely. It was a no-brainer with Callahan. And it certainly isn't that clear-cut with Bo.

On the other hand, I think Frank was generally much more respected by a larger percentage -- both locally and nationally -- than is Bo at this time.

Frank got a raw deal, and Bo still hasn't had a record as bad as Solich. How do you reconcile that? Bo may have an image problem, but that's probably from people that are upset that we haven't won a conference title in nearly 15 years. The only problem is that Bo wasn't the coach for those 15 years... he's only been here 5 1/2.

Kind of a frightening concept then? 7 or 8 wins, and Tom would have retained Callahan?!? Even more evidence that it shouldn't be about a particular number.

Look -- I'm certainly not saying Bo is on the same level as Bill. I would think/hope no one ever would fall that far. But I am saying that there are some similar trends in terms of bad losses and lack of quality wins.

I think Tom knew that he wasn't going to get to 7 or 8 wins. :)

Oh, and when we say the change has paid off for Mack Brown, I'm not so sure. They beat OU, which is certainly commendable, but the other three wins have been against uninspiring opponents. And keep in mind that they fired Manny Diaz after the second game of the season, and the Longhorns lost the very next game, giving up even more points than they did the week before. So the claim that they've gone 4-0 since the change isn't true; it's 4-1.

Furthermore, Texas is currently ranked just BEHIND Nebraska in points allowed per game (UT is 50th at 24.1ppg, NU 49th at 24.0ppg). The Horns are 74th in total defense (405 ypg) and Nebraska is 77th (410 ypg).

As 57 would say, big wop.

And Texas lost their game at ISU in every which way but on the scoreboard. One of the most unkind of referee jobs you will ever see.

Last edited:

We live in a win now era and 6 years is a lifetime for no championship when it appears things are not trending upward. I really wanted Bo to succeed. GBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back