• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Nebraska and Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuttoHusker

Hutto Husker
10 Year Member
This year, Nebraska and Texas have paralleled each other throughout the season, both teams were thought to be prepped for a big year and both teams had been calling for their coach to be fired after two loses, until recently when Texas after bad defense struggles fired their young (up and coming) defensive coordinator and brought in a old dog that’s been around a while and low and behold they have their defense playing much better and back in the Big 12 race. Bo needs to swallow his pride and do the exact same thing IMO to get NU back on pace...

Obviously something needs to change, a DC change worked for the Whorns, meanwhile what have the Huskers tried?

wasn't a fan of firing coaches at mid season, until now, a change up cant hurt anything

I'm all for bringing in someone new to replace Paps, but that job is gonna be really tough to fill. Everybody knows it comes with a stubborn head coach who runs his special defensive scheme with an iron fist! Paps is just a place holder people.

Our schedule may have looked favorable coming into this year but the vast amount of new faces on D tempered my expectations. Of course, I expected our O to carry the D a little more than they have.

This year, Nebraska and Texas have paralleled each other throughout the season, both teams were thought to be prepped for a big year and both teams had been calling for their coach to be fired after two loses, until recently when Texas after bad defense struggles fired their young (up and coming) defensive coordinator and brought in a old dog that’s been around a while and low and behold they have their defense playing much better and back in the Big 12 race. Bo needs to swallow his pride and do the exact same thing IMO to get NU back on pace...

I don't know that pride is the problem here. I really don't think Bo thinks changes need to be made. As far as he is concerned, bumps in the road are part of the "process".

It is a very interesting comparison.

Yep, UT fired their defensive coordinator a month into the season -- after the loss to Ole Miss. At that point, nearly everyone in Austin wanted Mack Brown gone (and Nick Saban hired). It was actually much more lopsided than the feelings toward Bo. So, the Horns Hired Greg Robinson, who was their defensive coordinator the middle of last decade, and dumped the coach who started the season in that position. And then -- another interesting parallel -- UT loses their starting QB (Ash) to injury (he may be out for the season). They bring in the backup -- Case McCoy (who is nowhere near as good as his brother), and McCoy has been a major spark.

From that point forward, UT hasn't lost. In fact, they've played very well. Now 4-0 in the Big 12 and tied for first with Baylor. Wins over K-State, OU, and TCU -- and decisive wins. To teams that Brown always struggles with. K-State -- even bad K-State teams -- have always owned Mack. Stoops had been destroying UT in recent seasons. TCU came into Austin last season -- and won. Now, just last Saturday, the Horns pound TCU 30-7 -- with defense -- and a willingness to play to their strength on offense -- running the ball. 71 offensive plays for Texas. 52 were runs.

Texas most certainly made multiple adjustments mid-season, and it's paid off.

I don't know that pride is the problem here. I really don't think Bo thinks changes need to be made. As far as he is concerned, bumps in the road are part of the "process".
This.

Same problem as Callahan. Bo KNOWS his system works, so it can't be any of his problems. He just needs to teach better, or the players have to execute better or whatever. While I'm sure some of that is true, how many years do you keep doing the same thing until you get an epiphany? Apparently 6 years is not long enough.

Yep, UT fired their defensive coordinator a month into the season -- after the loss to Ole Miss. At that point, nearly everyone in Austin wanted Mack Brown gone (and Nick Saban hired). It was actually much more lopsided than the feelings toward Bo. So, the Horns Hired Greg Robinson, who was their defensive coordinator the middle of last decade, and dumped the coach who started the season in that position. And then -- another interesting parallel -- UT loses their starting QB (Ash) to injury (he may be out for the season). They bring in the backup -- Case McCoy (who is nowhere near as good as his brother), and McCoy has been a major spark.

From that point forward, UT hasn't lost. In fact, they've played very well. Now 4-0 in the Big 12 and tied for first with Baylor. Wins over K-State, OU, and TCU -- and decisive wins. To teams that Brown always struggles with. K-State -- even bad K-State teams -- have always owned Mack. Stoops had been destroying UT in recent seasons. TCU came into Austin last season -- and won. Now, just last Saturday, the Horns pound TCU 30-7 -- with defense -- and a willingness to play to their strength on offense -- running the ball. 71 offensive plays for Texas. 52 were runs.

knda makes me wonder what the outcome would have been had TA3 been under center:Biggrin:

It has and Bo should take heed, the horns also had two bye weeks the same weeks NU had theirs, we really have been parallel with UT, until the changes and then they left us in the dust...

Posted this article on another thread before I read this one, more suited here.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1827134-greg-robinson-finally-has-texas-defense-playing-up-to-its-potential

Neb can't do that because they are young...maybe next year

I wish Husker fans had the kind of patience Longhorn fans have. Mack is currently on a stretch where he's gone 5-7, 8-5, and 9-4. It took him EIGHT YEARS to win a conference title (only 3 division titles prior to his first conference title in year 8). He hasn't won a division since 2009, and is only 52-20 (.718) since 2008.

Bo Pelini has tied or won outright four division titles in the past 5 seasons (in two different conferences), never had a losing season, is 53-22 (.706), and currently has the same season record as Texas.

Fireable offenses here at Nebraska. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back