• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

N2FL Ranks the 2021 Commits

Nice article comparing kids and their HS Combine numbers with what they put up in Indy. Helps for people who freak out when a kid runs a slow 40 and they question his speed and whether the coaches are smart to even recruit him at all.

Did Isaiah Simmons play like the kid who ran a 4.75 at some Opening event one day or like the 4.39 he put up at the combine?

1. LB Randolph Kpai ## (South Dakota) recruited by Barrett Ruud and Erik Chinander
2. OT Teddy Prochazka (Nebraska) recruited by Greg Austin and Barrett Ruud
3. LB Christopher Paul Jr. ## (Georgia) recruited by Barrett Ruud, Erik Chinander and Sean Beckton
4. OL Henry Lutovsky (Iowa) recruited by Greg Austin and Erik Chinander

## Plans to enroll early

1. LB Randolph Kpai ## (South Dakota) recruited by Barrett Ruud and Erik Chinander
3. LB Christopher Paul Jr. ## (Georgia) recruited by Barrett Ruud, Erik Chinander and Sean Beckton

## Plans to enroll early
I'm interested in Kpai. I get we want to have as much athleticism as possible at ILB, but I feel you could really say that about any position. He plays OLB in high school (moves around a bit) but I think he is made for what we want to do at OLB. Somewhat reminds me of Hannah being put at ILB to start. That said, I wouldn't be mad if Greene and Kpai started alongside each other at some point. That's a lot of speed.

I'm interested in Kpai. I get we want to have as much athleticism as possible at ILB, but I feel you could really say that about any position. He plays OLB in high school (moves around a bit) but I think he is made for what we want to do at OLB. Somewhat reminds me of Hannah being put at ILB to start. That said, I wouldn't be mad if Greene and Kpai started alongside each other at some point. That's a lot of speed.
I don't think that he's close to fully physically developed yet, so they're probably assuming that he's going to grow into an ILB. I'm just glad he wants to come. He's a fantastic athlete with a great work ethic, solid character, great family.

I don't think that he's close to fully physically developed yet, so they're probably assuming that he's going to grow into an ILB. I'm just glad he wants to come. He's a fantastic athlete with a great work ethic, solid character, great family.
I feel like he's long enough to be OLB like they want. But I also get them seeing the upgrade needed at ILB. But we tried it with Hannah and it just didn't work, couldn't play in the trash. Part of me thinks guys like Greene, Kpai, etc., they may struggle playing inside.

They know what they're doing down there but i'm intrigued with some of the moves.

5. OL Branson Yager (Utah) recruited by Greg Austin and Tony Tuioti.

## Plans to enroll early

3. OLB Patrick Payton (Florida) recruited by Travis Fisher and Erik Chinander
4. LB Christopher Paul Jr. ## (Georgia) recruited by Barrett Ruud, Erik Chinander and Sean Beckton
5. OL Henry Lutovsky (Iowa) recruited by Greg Austin and Erik Chinander
6. OL Branson Yager (Utah) recruited by Greg Austin and Tony Tuioti.

## Plans to enroll early

3 LB’s and 3 OT’s. Hmmmm
Even though they're all called "linebacker," the 4 LB positions in the 3-4 scheme that Chinander runs are different from one another. One OLB will be basically a Rush-End who can cover in space when needed. The other OLB will be a great athlete who can cover in space, tackle in space, and blitz when needed. The two ILBs aren't identical either. Depending on how we line up versus formation, one ILB can be more or less a full-time brawler against all but empty backfields, but the other is more like a Sam-LB in the old 4-3.

I say all of that just to say that the 3 LBs we recruited show 3 different athletic profiles, and each can be tailored to fit where his talents and our needs meet. Kpai is considered an ILB, and assuming the plays that he'd be the more light, quick, agile playmaker, similar to the old 4-3 Sam-LB; if he doesn't put on weight the way that they expect, he could also play a Domann-type of OLB as he has speed and athleticism to burn. You can see the same for the others, though in slightly different combinations.

As for the 3 OTs, there are guys (like @N2FL) who can analyze this better than I can, but I'm not sure which of these recruits would be absolutely certain to play only OT a few years from now. I think that it's possible that NONE of them are an OT by the time they're through, and that might mean that they're huge, brawling interior O-linemen. The recruiting profile that Coach Austin wants is a huge frame, so almost everyone he goes after has played OT in high school, but at least half of those guys will be playing inside once they get to Nebraska.

So, maybe our current recruits list looks different if it reads like this:
  • 1 Sam-LB
  • 1 Rush-End/OLB
  • 1 OLB/Nickle-backer
  • 1 Left-OT
  • 1 Right-OT
  • 1 Guard
I'm just throwing those positions out there as a template. Others can correct and move them around because I haven't spent much time looking at their film.

Here's what I can see on film: athleticism, aggression, and guys who intuitively understand the game of football. If you get a 100+ guys like that on a roster, good coaches can figure out where to put whom, and I'll like our chances.

Last edited:

3. OLB Patrick Payton (Florida) recruited by Travis Fisher and Erik Chinander
4. QB Heinrich Haarberg (Nebraska) recruited by Mario Verduzco and Matt Lubick
5. LB Christopher Paul Jr. ## (Georgia) recruited by Barrett Ruud, Erik Chinander and Sean Beckton
6. OL Henry Lutovsky (Iowa) recruited by Greg Austin and Erik Chinander
7. OL Branson Yager (Utah) recruited by Greg Austin and Tony Tuioti.

## Plans to enroll early

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back