• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My official sorta prediction 2018

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2016-team-offense.html

in 2016, SF's first year at UCF, his offense ranked 113th in the nation (out of 128) in yards/game at 350.8 . I trust what this staff will do here long-term, BUT i think this scheme and system of play takes a lot to learn and adjust to. i think there is a gap in both talent and physical conditioning between where this staff wants the roster to be, and where it is now that will not be closed before the end of the 2018 season. I expect a lot of growing pains this year. It sounds like alot of you expect the 2018 huskers to be the 2015 cubs - but i think we're going to see the 2014 cubs.

I - for one - hope A-Martinez starts or becomes the starter this year so that we can rip off the bandaid. that will only add more "strain" (to borrow a phrase) to the 2018 season.

i am enamored with this staff and i think they are going to take us to conference championships - but i expect to see a team with 5 losses this year, even a 7-6 would not surprise me. I am really worried by the sentiment that is currently snow-balling in the husker fan-base that we should win 9+, it could* happen but i think it is a harmful expectation to bring to the 2018 season

Don't disagree, that's why I'm in full on 'Missouri Mode'. Show me. It can and I think will be done, but year one I think optimism is overriding reality in some cases.

I agree. I'm a big fan and optimistic about the future! When you try to predict wins and losses, you have to look at both how good you will be AND how good will your opponents be. On the former, just look at how badly we got beat last year (including the last 3 games where opponents scored 50+ points and multiple occasions where teams scored 42 points in a single half) and the hole Frost has to climb out of is quite deep. On the latter, our schedule shows to be 2nd hardest in the country.

Given that combination, I think 7-6 with a bowl win would give us something solid to build on and would look forward to increased contribution from this year's talented recruiting class to make the significant jump forward. It is going to be fun - but this is a multi-year project.

You mean the Riley coached team?
Ohio State has made us look sad the past two years. Don’t think that series will change yet. Mich and MSU are in a better place right now. I’m not counting Iowa as a win either yet. Then you have to add the occasional Nebraska loss to a team like Minny or NW. I wish for 10 wins like any other Husker fan, but I don’t see it being feasible. All I want is a bowl win with some serious momentum heading into 2019.

Didn't we already go through this -- with most of you with the same input -- 2-3 weeks ago?

Groundhog Day?
And don't forget that other thread from 5 weeks ago and that other one from 6 1/2 weeks ago. I'm probably forgetting a few hundred.

Ohio State has made us look sad the past two years. Don’t think that series will change yet. Mich and MSU are in a better place right now. I’m not counting Iowa as a win either yet. Then you have to add the occasional Nebraska loss to a team like Minny or NW. I wish for 10 wins like any other Husker fan, but I don’t see it being feasible. All I want is a bowl win with some serious momentum heading into 2019.
I'm not going to try to convince you of anything. I'm happy that you will be very pleasantly surprised next season.

Don't disagree, that's why I'm in full on 'Missouri Mode'. Show me. It can and I think will be done, but year one I think optimism is overriding reality in some cases.
I totally agree with you. I'm not trying to communicate any type of pessimism but these boards have a strong history of gradually drinking the kool-aid to a point we have set expectations that only our very best efforts can reach. It would be nice to neutralize those expectations and give us a chance to feel like we exceeded them. I mean......wow. We have posters already saying 10-2 is a minimum acceptable record next year.

Didn't we already go through this -- with most of you with the same input -- 2-3 weeks ago?

Groundhog Day?
Yea but now NLI day is done. Everyone is upping their wins by 1 game. We get to do it again once spring practice starts and the media starts building us up and then again after we watch spring practice where we play against ourselves. Both of those will have people upping their predictions by 1 more win each. Then this fall the B1G will do their annual tour and tell us how great we are and by that time predictions will be at 13-0. :Biggrin:

Last edited:

I totally agree with you. I'm not trying to communicate any type of pessimism but these boards have a strong history of gradually drinking the kool-aid to a point we have set expectations that only our very best efforts can reach. It would be nice to neutralize those expectations and give us a chance to feel like we exceeded them. I mean......wow. We have posters already saying 10-2 is a minimum acceptable record next year.
I haven't seen anyone say 10-2 is minimum acceptable. I'm probably the closest to having that opinion, but 6-6 would be acceptable to me. Very disappointing, but still acceptable.

I would be happy with 9-3 and then a bowl win. But I won't be happy/satisfied with anything less. That doesn't mean I would give up on Frost. It would simply mean the damage done by Riley was much deeper than I thought.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back