• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Biggest Concern Is....

Your post failed within 1 sentence. Congratulations on that.

"Slam dunk guys" and John Parella don't belong in the same sentence. He had VERY limited experience as a DL coach. If not for his history as a Husker he would not be coaching in lincoln. While I like that hire it's miles from "slam dunk".

Your 3rd sentence is a massive fail as well.

Overall your post was pretty much a failure and a waste of time for everyone who read it.

Read more. Post less.

Point me in the direction of a single journalist or sports writer who didn't characterize Parrella as an excellent hire. Meaning, he was a perfect cultural fit, with tons of recruiting and coaching upside.

Diaco and Williams are both highly regarded, elite assistant coaches.

Read, Banker, and Hughes being hired left everyone scratching their heads and basically saying that Riley must've known something we didn't.

No one said that about Parrella, Williams or Diaco.

Again, doesn't mean Riley didn't have good reasons, or that he had a chance at a staff like this to begin with, given the other realities, as EoE astutely observes upthread.

Lastly, the day your name is the one on the top of this site is the day I'll start taking posting directives from you. You're free to shove any future advice you might have for me right back where it came from.

Point me in the direction of a single journalist or sports writer who didn't characterize Parrella as an excellent hire. Meaning, he was a perfect cultural fit, with tons of recruiting and coaching upside.

Read, Banker, and Hughes being hired left everyone scratching their heads and basically saying that Riley must've known something we didn't.

Again, doesn't mean Riley didn't have good reasons, or that he had a chance at a staff like this to begin with, given the other realities, as EoE astutely observes upthread.

Lastly, the day your name is the one on the top of this site is the day I'll start taking posting directives from you. You're free to shove any future advice you might have for me right back where it came from.

1. I couldn't care less what journalists think. "Slam dunk" means "guaranteed success". And that is not what Parrella is. What he IS is a former husker and in that sense he was a good hire because it pacifies certain fans. We shall see if he's a great DL coach. I hope he is.

2. My issue with sentence 3 "he was hired early enough that hiring a rock star staff was possible". There's a lot wrong with that sentence. First of all there's no "early" in college football hiring. In early december, after firing a staff, time is of the essence in recruiting. You have to salvage the class you already have, make up for the defections and then finish it off with new commitments. There's not a lot of time to "hire a rock star staff" at that point. Secondly, most of the rock stars (whoever they are) are still coaching their team. Most position coaches and coordinators aren't going to bail at that point....so if you wait til the bowls are over to fill your staff you are SCREWED. Third, if you went and you picked the best position coaches and coordinators from all across the nation you'd be left with a coaching staff that stunk. The "whole is greater than the sum" idea. Remember when Pelini had a hodge podge offensive staff. Watson, Cotton and Beck...none of whom had coached together and didn't share a common philosopical background? It was a disaster. A disaster that conceivably cost NU a national title...certainly a conference title. But if NU had anything resembling an offense that defense in 2009 might have been able to carry them all the way. I digress.

3. It was more of a suggestion than a directive. I will say this...I'm not sure I can shove an opinion into my fingers. Further, I won't try. Another suggestion...don't be too sensitive. It's just a message board. Hell, I was called all kinds of names after my reply to you. I got a good chuckle out of them

And I've definitely been vacationed for MUCH less than what was directed at me...so no, I don't get treated with kid gloves as someone said. I call stupid when I see what I consider to be stupid. Nothing personal. You're free to do the same. ;)

Last edited:

I like JP but he was not a slam dunk hire, he was a popular hire because of his Husker history. One year coaching at a juco and two years in division 2 is not a resume that gets him hired without the NU connection. That said he seems to be doing well.

I think he also has a better feel for the program, facilities, assets available to him, the talent in the conference, and how his original staff was able to perform in the environment as well as what they added to the equation. Being able to bring a kid into Oregon State is probably pretty challenging, but then again, bringing a kid to Nebraska has it's own set of challenges as well. A couple of seasons in has likely helped Mike see where he may have needs.

100% agree with this post. He brought in his people that he felt comfortable with for the transition. He took an assessment of what was going to be needed to win here in his first two years. Then he made the changes that he felt were needed. That seems both practical and pragmatic.

It's ridiculous to think Coach Riley would have came to Nebraska without bringing a staff he's comfortable with. The fact that he did that is not a surprise and neither is the fact that he upgraded it when he saw the possibilities emerge as time went by... everybody wants what they want right now but I think Riley's approach has been logical and strong overall. I believe it is what we need to lay the proper foundation for future success.

2. My issue with sentence 3 "he was hired early enough that hiring a rock star staff was possible". There's a lot wrong with that sentence. First of all there's no "early" in college football hiring. In early december, after firing a staff, time is of the essence in recruiting. You have to salvage the class you already have, make up for the defections and then finish it off with new commitments. There's not a lot of time to "hire a rock star staff" at that point. Secondly, most of the rock stars (whoever they are) are still coaching their team. Most position coaches and coordinators aren't going to bail at that point....so if you wait til the bowls are over to fill your staff you are SCREWED. Third, if you went and you picked the best position coaches and coordinators from all across the nation you'd be left with a coaching staff that stunk. The "whole is greater than the sum" idea. Remember when Pelini had a hodge podge offensive staff. Watson, Cotton and Beck...none of whom had coached together and didn't share a common philosopical background? It was a disaster. A disaster that conceivably cost NU a national title...certainly a conference title. But if NU had anything resembling an offense that defense in 2009 might have been able to carry them all the way. I digress.

The critical part of your response in my opinion. Rockstars are coaching until potentially the end of the first week in January. If you are willing to wait, you are just as likely to be shut out by pay raises from their current teams. I didn't have an issue hiring someone like Steele or Orgeron, even if they were only going to be around for a couple of years. Those kind of guys will get the team some energy in that period they might feel like sulking. It also can get the ball rolling in the recruiting world, but it will mean finding a solid replacement in a very short period of time.

Asssssssss.
Hoooooooole.

Read more, post less yourself. It's guys like you that keep others on this board from posting because they're afraid of getting attacked by dicks such as....well mainly you.
This! Bilsker is one of the types that you see on the other 'boards'. H-Max used to stand out as a reasonable place to post opinions. Thanks for your efforts to bring us down to the other boards' level. :Thumbsdown:

This! Bilsker is one of the types that you see on the other 'boards'. H-Max used to stand out as a reasonable place to post opinions. Thanks for your efforts to bring us down to the other boards' level. :Thumbsdown:
:Cry:

It also used to be a place where you couldn't call someone an a--hole. That is the road that leads a board down the road to "other boards". If you need a safe space where nobody will call out questionable logic try Max' Kitchen or maybe the Entertainment forum...I image those are fairly chilly places where snowflakes can thrive. ;)

Last edited:
I think the new dc coord diaco will be good, but I think he started out with a little better raw materials at ND, than he might here, hard to know, I wish him well, I think hes gonna be a very good recruiter for us. glad he is here. so many variables can happen, even just 2-3 kids turning out better than you expect can really change a defense, injuries, transfers, and just 3 guys who reached their max potential in high school, just plain missing on 3 recruits.... its all part of the equation that equals a good defense or not.

Remember when Pelini had a hodge podge offensive staff. Watson, Cotton and Beck...none of whom had coached together and didn't share a common philosopical background? It was a disaster. A disaster that conceivably cost NU a national title...certainly a conference title. But if NU had anything resembling an offense that defense in 2009 might have been able to carry them all the way. I digress.
If this is the thread where you're going to brow-beat some newbie for saying things that don't make sense, you can't also post haywire revisionist history like this. That hodge-podge of coaches put together the best offense we've seen (2008) since 2001. Better than Callahan's offenses, better than Beck and Riley's offenses. 2012 and 2014 were close but in terms of scoring (Massey) weren't as good as 2008.

Things didn't go off the rails on offense until 2009, and that happened because six key starters graduated and Watson tried (was asked?) to install an offense that I'm not sure he ever really understood. If Pelini hadn't kept Watson originally, we would have had a weaker 2008, and that'd be two back-to-back bad seasons and if you're that irrelevant for that long recruits can start to lose interest and your uphill climb becomes even harder. I think it would have set us back a lot more if Pelini hadn't righted the ship immediately in 2008, and keeping Watson around was a big part of what made that possible.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back