• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My Biggest Concern Is....

We could "adjust for recruiting" with just about every big name coach out there too.

Adjusted for recruiting Saban and Meyer might be mediocre.

Saban's quote to Alabama AD Mal Moore the day he as hired: "I just want you to know you've hired a ********* football coach," Saban told Moore. "But nobody will out-recruit me." Even Saban thinks Saban is mediocre without talent.

Your post failed within 1 sentence. Congratulations on that.

"Slam dunk guys" and John Parella don't belong in the same sentence. He had VERY limited experience as a DL coach. If not for his history as a Husker he would not be coaching in lincoln. While I like that hire it's miles from "slam dunk".

Your 3rd sentence is a massive fail as well.

Overall your post was pretty much a failure and a waste of time for everyone who read it.

Read more. Post less.
Asssssssss.
Hoooooooole.

Read more, post less yourself. It's guys like you that keep others on this board from posting because they're afraid of getting attacked by dicks such as....well mainly you.

We could "adjust for recruiting" with just about every big name coach out there too.

Adjusted for recruiting Saban and Meyer might be mediocre.
The ND classes before Diaco came in were #1, #4, #6, #15. Diaco's defenses, and also his recruiting, were a little worse than that (not by a ton, but I think meaningfully). It definitely doesn't establish that he's bad, but he's also not a slam-dunk. That's why I'm saying, wait and see mode.

Even though we're talking about elite-level recruiting you can still tease some insight out of the differences between the recruiting and on-the-field performance. For example, there's a difference between Tom Herman's statistical profile coming out of OSU as an OC, compared to Diaco out of ND. Herman was a lot more of a slam dunk even though he came from a place that was loaded with talent. His offenses kept getting better and when he left they were a clear #1.

Last edited:

Asssssssss.
Hoooooooole.

Read more, post less yourself. It's guys like you that keep others on this board from posting because they're afraid of getting attacked by dicks such as....well mainly you.
If my "attacks" prevent clutter like this thread then I'm doing everyone a service.

p.s. Toughen up, buttercup.

Last edited:
I have always felt that Riley knew he was stepping into a hornet's nest when he took the job. It was all over the news...Bo upset...the kids upset...the off campus pep rally or whatever you want to call it. At that point he didn't need to try and put together a new coaching staff and get them to mesh with everything else going on...there needed to be stability. He knew these coaches and what they were about. They were safe and he could count on them. And hopefully they were a good fit and would get the job done. But now, a couple years later as the inner core stabilized...he knows, he has to bring in coaches that are difference makers. And that's where we are now.

Asssssssss.
Hoooooooole.

I agree the post could have been far more diplomatic, but some of the points made did have some validity. I agree, there is no such thing as a Slam Dunk Hire. Some have far better odds, but there are no sure things in sports. Parella was far from a sure thing, and the reality is, we still don't KNOW he is going to be an elite DL coach. There are also examples of people assembling a 'Dream Team', only to see it fail to mesh and grossly underperform. I didn't really agree with the original post either, but I'd find more diplomatic ways to express that. Hazing seem to be something of the norm on this board if a person takes a confrontational stance right out of the gate.

The ND classes before Diaco came in were #1, #4, #6, #15. Diaco's defenses, and also his recruiting, were a little worse than that (not by a ton, but I think meaningfully). It definitely doesn't establish that he's bad, but he's also not a slam-dunk. That's why I'm saying, wait and see mode.

Even though we're talking about elite-level recruiting you can still tease some insight out of the differences. For example, there's a difference between Tom Herman's statistical profile coming out of OSU as an OC, compared to Diaco out of ND. Herman was a lot more of a slam dunk even though he came from a place that was loaded with talent. His offenses kept getting better and when he left they were a clear #1.
FWIW I wasn't disagreeing with you. Talent wins.

I agree the post could have been far more diplomatic, but some of the points made did have some validity. I agree, there is no such thing as a Slam Dunk Hire. Some have far better odds, but there are no sure things in sports. Parella was far from a sure thing, and the reality is, we still don't KNOW he is going to be an elite DL coach. There are also examples of people assembling a 'Dream Team', only to see it fail to mesh and grossly underperform. I didn't really agree with the original post either, but I'd find more diplomatic ways to express that. Hazing seem to be something of the norm on this board if a person takes a confrontational stance right out of the gate.
I didn't necessarily disagree with Bils, he just doesn't need to be an ass about it. I agree with alot of all your points, his was out of line.

I have always felt that Riley knew he was stepping into a hornet's nest when he took the job. It was all over the news...Bo upset...the kids upset...the off campus pep rally or whatever you want to call it. At that point he didn't need to try and put together a new coaching staff and get them to mesh with everything else going on...there needed to be stability. He knew these coaches and what they were about. They were safe and he could count on them. And hopefully they were a good fit and would get the job done. But now, a couple years later as the inner core stabilized...he knows, he has to bring in coaches that are difference makers. And that's where we are now.
I think he also has a better feel for the program, facilities, assets available to him, the talent in the conference, and how his original staff was able to perform in the environment as well as what they added to the equation. Being able to bring a kid into Oregon State is probably pretty challenging, but then again, bringing a kid to Nebraska has it's own set of challenges as well. A couple of seasons in has likely helped Mike see where he may have needs.

Your post failed within 1 sentence. Congratulations on that.

"Slam dunk guys" and John Parella don't belong in the same sentence. He had VERY limited experience as a DL coach. If not for his history as a Husker he would not be coaching in lincoln. While I like that hire it's miles from "slam dunk".

Your 3rd sentence is a massive fail as well.

Overall your post was pretty much a failure and a waste of time for everyone who read it.

Read more. Post less.

Lol that was a brutal assessment. You must work in the HR transition department

I have no dog in this fight but I guess what bugs some on this board, myself included, is the select few 50K+ posters who anoint themselves as decider of what is board worthy and what isn't. you think the OP is dumb, fine. Ignore it and create a thread that you think is more worthy of other's time. Or disagree and state why. You don't have to be a dick about it.

I've actually learned a couple things in this thread. *** and some others have posted insight that wouldn't have come to light were it not for this thread being created. outside of having to navigate around the holier then thou opinions, its been worth my time to read. carry on.

+1. Importer/Exporter nailed it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back