• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Must Read: Very Interesting Analysis Of The Transfer Portal

The way I read his posts is all he saying is that we are not doing as bad in the transfer portal. He gave a good argument with the Clemson RB. But notably was saying we were doing as well as them (loaded roster). After finishing this thread you both agree where it matters. We have issues that need to be fixed and are very close in your individual view points. But I also believe the argument that we lost our best WR two years in row when one was out door I tend to doubt that both cases are the same. I could be wrong you have a better line of info than me.
Clemson freshman running back Demarkcus Bowman is in the transfer portal and expected to leave the program after just two games with the No. 1 Tigers.

Bowman was third on the team in rushing with nine carries for 32 yards. Swinney compared the talented freshman to former Clemson star C.J. Spiller. He was being counted on being the heir apparent to Travis Etienne after he leaves for the NFL after this season.

He was a true freshman who left Clemson after game 2,as he wanted to go back home to play in Fla.
He wasnt a backup, he was heir apparent to Etienne, and he had a clear road in front of him to play.still as a freshman.
This reminded me of the WR situation, and it still does.

We had 5 single digit losses in 2018. We lost three games where we had double digit second half leads in 2019 that would have made us 8-4 if we kept those. We were 3-5 in 2020. Why is 2021 magical to get it fixed? Why is another Dedrick Mills the answer?
Now I’m confused. You don’t think we can get better? You don’t think Frost, the staff, and the players are going to improve?

Clemson freshman running back Demarkcus Bowman is in the transfer portal and expected to leave the program after just two games with the No. 1 Tigers.

Bowman was third on the team in rushing with nine carries for 32 yards. Swinney compared the talented freshman to former Clemson star C.J. Spiller. He was being counted on being the heir apparent to Travis Etienne after he leaves for the NFL after this season.

He was a true freshman who left Clemson after game 2,as he wanted to go back home to play in Fla.
He wasnt a backup, he was heir apparent to Etienne, and he had a clear road in front of him to play.still as a freshman.
This reminded me of the WR situation, and it still does.
1500 transfer portal names, and probably 1500 unique reasons (some sounding mighty familiar). Try working with teens now days. It is a unique situation for all. This is a strange one though. Maybe he thought Dabo couldn't get it done????
wish him well. All of it stinks for football. I'm all for the guys to have SOME flexibility in these, and only these unique times. But they can hold the college they choose to maybe leave in a scholarship hostage situation. And that isn't right by me. Regardless of the team.

At the end of the day, a college football player (really, any college athlete) needs to do what he thinks is in his best overall interests as a student-athlete. That includes having the opportunity to best showcase his on-field talents. Just to be clear, transferring is *not* an issue about program loyalty or commitment, at least not from my perspective. Hopefully the student-athlete will make an informed judgement after processing relevant information, discussing the situation with appropriate people (e.g., family, coaches, trusted teammates/friends, etc.), and carefully evaluating options. This past season (and perhaps the upcoming one) was very unique and challenging. Those who desire a fresh start with another program, it's understandable. I'm disappointed things didn't work out at Nebraska but I wish them well wherever they land.

I have no problem with the portal. I would rather players leave then stay and be miserable. NU is not unique in any way with collegiate sports. We have to adapt as does everyone else.

1500 transfer portal names, and probably 1500 unique reasons (some sounding mighty familiar). Try working with teens now days. It is a unique situation for all. This is a strange one though. Maybe he thought Dabo couldn't get it done????
wish him well. All of it stinks for football. I'm all for the guys to have SOME flexibility in these, and only these unique times. But they can hold the college they choose to maybe leave in a scholarship hostage situation. And that isn't right by me. Regardless of the team.
He went to Clemson to play in front of his grandpa. He died, so he went back home to family.
Things other than coaches in play, yet I'm sure he still wants to go next level, and the Gators will get him there, not so sure Kentucky will with WR, for other reasons.
When he left, he was third in carries on the team, only a senior and junior were in the rotation, plus of course Etienne getting the lions share.

He went to Clemson to play in front of his grandpa. He died, so he went back home to family.
Things other than coaches in play, yet I'm sure he still wants to go next level, and the Gators will get him there, not so sure Kentucky will with WR, for other reasons.
When he left, he was third in carries on the team, only a senior and junior were in the rotation, plus of course Etienne getting the lions share.
thanks for the info on clemson rb.

Part of what I'm saying is, with so many out there, what kind of odd man out is going to happen here?
And if the backlash of that becomes a huge reality to alot of kids, it will change going forwards, as the stories will start coming out about numbers of kids, leaving college all together for lack of space and/or monies, as many lose their scholarships.

If you term the portal as some type of freedom, we ll know, freedom is never free

Last edited:

Now I’m confused. You don’t think we can get better? You don’t think Frost, the staff, and the players are going to improve?
Why would we not be able to get better? Why can't we improve???? Where did you get that from???

We could have got better every year I referenced, yet we didn't. What I was asking in the post you referenced was why all of a sudden in 2021 will we be able to remedy the one score losses when we couldn't in year 2 (2019) or year 3 (2020). All i'm saying is one score losses have been happening since 2018. Double digit leads in the second half and turning to losses have been happening since 2019.

What do we see that makes us believe that is going to happen year 4 instead of when it could have happened year 2 or 3? We could have got better those two years, right? I need to see it on the field before I start typing it will happen at this point.

Last edited:
Why would we not be able to get better? Why can't we improve???? Where did you get that from???

We could have got better every year I referenced, yet we didn't. What I was asking in the post you referenced was why all of a sudden in 2021 will we be able to remedy the one score losses when we couldn't in year 2 (2019) or year 3 (2020). All i'm saying is one score losses have been happening since 2018. Double digit leads in the second half and turning to losses have been happening since 2019.

What do we see that makes us believe that is going to happen year 4 instead of when it could have happened year 2 or 3? We could have got better those two years, right? I need to see it on the field before I start typing it will happen at this point.
Gotchya. Yeah, we haven’t seen it yet. Not giving up though. We better see it in 2021 or we’re going to jump back on the coaching carousel. Man, we gotta get it done.

A better question is, how much better will our offense have to be, combined with an improved defense that may be able to win you some games, how much better the offense needs to be to win those close games?

Our offense has been going backward and we are still close in games, so, not only stopping going backwards, but inching forwards on offense, how much?

Gotchya. Yeah, we haven’t seen it yet. Not giving up though. We better see it in 2021 or we’re going to jump back on the coaching carousel. Man, we gotta get it done.
Definitely don't give up. I'm just quoting what i've seen. We've had one score losses since season 1. We are on season 4. Hopefully this is the year we turn those around but i'm not going to type that it IS turning around at this point.

Last edited:

I agree about needing to wait and see before expecting improvement but I would say that improvement in special teams seems like very low hanging fruit and could swing some games.

I agree about needing to wait and see before expecting improvement but I would say that improvement in special teams seems like very low hanging fruit and could swing some games.
Absolutely 100% agree and that can net 1-2 wins. But I said heading into 2020 there was nowhere to go but up for special teams and here we are. Thus why I’m hesitant to say “we will win the one score games” since we haven’t changed course on many of the key issues the first three years.

Last edited:

Yep. I know we’ve discussed it a ton but man there are a number of little things that just need cleaned up and we’d be so much better. STs, dumb penalties, turnovers. We all know it. Frost does too. Question is, will he fix it? If he wants to keep his job he will.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back