• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Multiple Sport Athletes

That was my son Tate. He only fouled out of half of his games. I was always amazed at how good of a rebounder he was at 5’9. He had long arms which helped but he was just a good position rebounder.

Position and tenacity go a long way when it comes to rebounding. Making other players a little uncomfortable doesn't hurt either.

I hate the specialization and year round travel baseball. Kids start doing it a way too young of an age and has led to a sharp increase in arm issues for young kids whose pitching arms get over worked.

Its a great way to get exposure to college and pro scouts but the number of Tommy John surgeries on teenage boys nowadays is stupid ridiculous.

I hate the specialization and year round travel baseball. Kids start doing it a way too young of an age and has led to a sharp increase in arm issues for young kids whose pitching arms get over worked.

Its a great way to get exposure to college and pro scouts but the number of Tommy John surgeries on teenage boys nowadays is stupid ridiculous.
Agree. It’s dumb. Female equivalent is soccer and ACLs.

Yeah probably for girls. Never met a basketball coach that didn’t want guys just playing basketball.
OR girls. Just two days ago I had one of my girl runners tell me that her basketball coach told her she needed to quit cross country if she wanted to be a "true varsity player."

Couldn't agree more. Soccer and baseball "select" coaches seem to try to monopolize athletes to just play their sports
The soccer players never stop. I have several that run for me and they will practice with me 5 days a week in the fall, then practice soccer two days a week, run a meet Saturday morning, then go play soccer all Saturday and Sunday. Then they go play school soccer and club soccer simultaneously. They never get a break. Bodies need to rest at some point.

rbs.jpeg

9 of these 10 ran track and played football. I saw a stat that said 75% of this year's Texas players ran track 72% of Michigan's did. Every year a large percentage of the first round NFL picks were multiple sport athletes. I like that Rhule emphasizes that. Tom Herman once said when he would recruit kids the first thing he would ask them is if they were competing in track and if they said no he would say "why not?"

OR girls. Just two days ago I had one of my girl runners tell me that her basketball coach told her she needed to quit cross country if she wanted to be a "true varsity player."
Those coaches are going to be out there. There is a girls coach in our area who is one of the all-time winningest coaches in the state, and he forces his basketball players to run cross country, if they don't already play a fall sport, because he wants them to get the conditioning.

Perspective often gets lost in these situations. Sure, being focused on getting better in a sport 24/7 is probably the best way to be great at it, but at what cost? We are talking about kids who often times won't play beyond high school, let alone professionally. They should be able to enjoy high school and experience different sports. I ran cross country and track from elementary school all the way through high school. I played basketball my Senior year of high school, just for a change of pace. It didn't harm my running and provided me with exposure to basketball, which has since opened a lot of other doors for me.

The soccer players never stop. I have several that run for me and they will practice with me 5 days a week in the fall, then practice soccer two days a week, run a meet Saturday morning, then go play soccer all Saturday and Sunday. Then they go play school soccer and club soccer simultaneously. They never get a break. Bodies need to rest at some point.
Mental and physical burnout is real. Kids need breaks. Growing bodies need time to recover. That is my biggest gripe with travel/club/AAU sports. Is it really a good thing for athletes to spend a weekend playing 5-8 games of their sport, every single weekend?

We only had two guys on our basketball team that played another sport. Our starting point guard was also a WR/CB for us and then there was me. The shortest power forward in the history of short power forwards. The coach made a big deal about the guard dropping football and dedicating himself to basketball, but never really cared what else I did. Go figure.
Your role was different………..

Position and tenacity go a long way when it comes to rebounding. Making other players a little uncomfortable doesn't hurt either.
Tenacity especially. Many high school players excel at getting position, but don’t get than many rebounds. Dennis Rodman and Charles Barkley especially excelled as rebounders because after achieving position, they were able to identify the likely ball flight and relentlessly and aggressively attacked the location of the ball as it came off the rim. Just boxing out only gets you the rebounds that happen to bounce to you.

Tenacity especially. Many high school players excel at getting position, but don’t get than many rebounds. Dennis Rodman and Charles Barkley especially excelled as rebounders because after achieving position, they were able to identify the likely ball flight and relentlessly and aggressively attacked the location of the ball as it came off the rim. Just boxing out only gets you the rebounds that happen to bounce to you.
Timing, toughness, strength, effort, energy … rebounding is an unsung skill set. The best rebounders I’ve found are multi-sport athletes. The great ones relish that role.

I don't want to start an argument in this thread. Your response sounds exactly like what I would expect from a basketball coach.

Every sport is a "skilled experiential sport" not just basketball. One night at the all sports clinic in Lincoln my AD, an old basketball coach, and my head football coach almost came to blows because the AD insisted that basketball was a skill sport and football was not. The funny thing was that my head football coach was a multisport athlete at Black Hills St. in football basketball and track.
The bulk of basketball coaches at high school or less don't do a great job teaching skills compared to their efforts at installing their offense.
In this debate, what is true with regard to the distinction of football and basketball is first: basketball requires a skillset with more variety in it than most of the positions in football, and second, the variation of skillset among positions is much wider in football.
It is a study in arrogance and self-inflation to suggest that basketball requires more skill. Better to say potentially more skills depending on which position ones compares to, but the level of skill is no less in football, at any position, than basketball or any other sport.
Talent is what momma nature gave you, skill is what you work at. How much time you spend, under proper instruction, working on whatever skill one seeks determines how skilled you are, not the sport or specific skill.
To this, I care little for the term in football, "skill player". Frankly, this is about dumbarse.
Don't think any skill is involved in those great battles between edge rusher and OT?

Soccer can be bad about it especially since indoor soccer got popularized. In my experience, softball (baseball) are really bad about it. We had middle school basketball players that missed stuff during our season because they'd have travel softball tournaments during the middle of the winter.
agreed, since this is a men's forum, I didn't comment on softball, but don't doubt what you're saying

The other thing is superior athleticism can make up for a lot of the things you might lack by being a multi-sport athlete. Don't have to be an incredible route runner in football if you are just way faster than everyone. Don't have to have a bunch of ball handling moves if you can just plow your way into the lane. Don't have to have to have a bunch of pitches mastered if you can sling a 90mph fastball in high school.

When you get to college, everyone is that athletic. You can't get away with letting your athleticism carry you, you have to specialize and get better at certain skills.
Bo Jackson, Turner Gill, Deion Sanders and many others beg to differ.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back