• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Multiple Sport Athletes

HuskerBred

Recruit
Maybe it’s only my feeling (a dangerous jumping off point), but it seems like HCMR and staff are recruiting and facilitating the participation of more multiple sport athletes. Not just sprinters, but all kinds of athletes in different sports. To me this translates to ATHLETIC football players and a competitive roster. I have my own opinions about the proliferation of club sports and young people basically being “forced” to play one sport, but that’s a rant for another day. What prompted this is that I’ll never forget what my smash-mouth, old school HS football coach told me when I was worried about baseball or hoops taking away from lifting and drills: “Why wouldn’t I want you out there moving your feet, using different muscle groups, staying in shape, and trying to kick some other guy’s ass in a different jersey? Play football when it’s time to play football, but otherwise get after it and compete.” It can be a trade off but I mostly still agree with that sentiment.

Multi-sport collegiate athletes are a rare breed, regardless of level (D1, D2, NAIA …).

The level of commitment asked of these athletes is a year round endeavor.
Guys like Hutmacher are a rare breed.

To be able to do what he’s doing, along with everything else is truly remarkable.

Multi-sport collegiate athletes are a rare breed, regardless of level (D1, D2, NAIA …).

The level of commitment asked of these athletes is a year round endeavor.
Guys like Hutmacher are a rare breed.

To be able to do what he’s doing, along with everything else is truly remarkable.
Multi sport has gone the way of both way players, not gone, but as you say rare.
It has allowed for better competition and more athletes

One interesting wrinkle — and I think a few of the recruits share this background — is that football players can come to the game later. It’s not like hoops or soccer where the best players have a ball in their hands/on their foot from diapers on. Just thinking out loud during a slow time….

One interesting wrinkle — and I think a few of the recruits share this background — is that football players can come to the game later. It’s not like hoops or soccer where the best players have a ball in their hands/on their foot from diapers on. Just thinking out loud during a slow time….
I'd add volleyball and baseball to your "hoops or soccer" statement.

Although high end football is a bit like that. I coached (in basketball in Wisconsin) a high school sophomore athlete at one of the premier football programs in Wisconsin. As a sophomore he was getting looks by Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota. He left after his junior year to go to IMG Academy in Florida. All of the sudden became a 5-star recruit who ended up at Alabama as a 2-year starter and is now a consensus 1st round NFL draft pick.

Raiola moved high schools 3 times in large part increase his competition level and go to more premier programs.

Last edited:
Completely agree that maybe the top 5% of the D1 football talent improves with some intense work. But I also think a lot of solid 6’4” lineman ironically would be better football players if they spent the winter in the wrestling or basketball team. Better flexibility. Strength. Feet. The weight can come later, and for most they won’t have the head for it until about their third year of college anyway. The game moves too fast for them. That’s why we’ve had some painful moments watching guys look like they’re playing in about a foot of water.

Completely agree that maybe the top 5% of the D1 football talent improves with some intense work. But I also think a lot of solid 6’4” lineman ironically would be better football players if they spent the winter in the wrestling or basketball team. Better flexibility. Strength. Feet. The weight can come later, and for most they won’t have the head for it until about their third year of college anyway. The game moves too fast for them. That’s why we’ve had some painful moments watching guys look like they’re playing in about a foot of water.
Notice the Matt drills and different SnC. As MR has said, he doesn't believe in working the athleticism out of his players.

Maybe it’s only my feeling (a dangerous jumping off point), but it seems like HCMR and staff are recruiting and facilitating the participation of more multiple sport athletes. Not just sprinters, but all kinds of athletes in different sports. To me this translates to ATHLETIC football players and a competitive roster. I have my own opinions about the proliferation of club sports and young people basically being “forced” to play one sport, but that’s a rant for another day. What prompted this is that I’ll never forget what my smash-mouth, old school HS football coach told me when I was worried about baseball or hoops taking away from lifting and drills: “Why wouldn’t I want you out there moving your feet, using different muscle groups, staying in shape, and trying to kick some other guy’s ass in a different jersey? Play football when it’s time to play football, but otherwise get after it and compete.” It can be a trade off but I mostly still agree with that sentiment.
My son in law is a college track coach. He much prefers multi sport high school athletes.

Yeah probably for girls. Never met a basketball coach that didn’t want guys just playing basketball.

We only had two guys on our basketball team that played another sport. Our starting point guard was also a WR/CB for us and then there was me. The shortest power forward in the history of short power forwards. The coach made a big deal about the guard dropping football and dedicating himself to basketball, but never really cared what else I did. Go figure.

Last edited:
In my experience football coaches love multi sport athletes. Two sports want you to specialize, basketball and baseball. Basketball is by far the worst of the 2.

I think with baseball my lack of specialization was part of why I never excelled at the sport. When the 'real' season was over, I was on to something else and would rarely pick up a bat, ball or glove. The kids that played on summer leagues, travel leagues, etc. got incrementally better every season, so I get the thought process by the baseball coaches.

Couldn't agree more. Soccer and baseball "select" coaches seem to try to monopolize athletes to just play their sports

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back