• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Muddling In The Middle

They lost their best player right before school started. They lost a rotation guard early in the season. Their best post player has been out since their 3-0 conference start. They have 3 true freshman in their rotation. Also, as if that weren't enough, they also have played one of the toughest, if not the toughest, schedules in the country.

I don't think you can just look at a record and gauge talent, at least not without context.

Here is your roster next year...

Watson
Palmer
Horne
Roby
McVeigh
Jacobson
Morrow
Copeland
Gill
Taylor
Jordy
Akenten

What don't you like about this roster? When is the last Nebraska team to have this kind of talent?

There's "promise" in that roster but I'm not sure it's one you look at and say "what's not to like?"

Watson is all conference level.
Morrow is a nice piece to a puzzle...a 10 and 7 guy. Nothing wrong with that.

After that some guys need to make MAJOR strides. Several have shown flashes here and there but not a lot of consistency out of any.

There's "promise" in that roster but I'm not sure it's one you look at and say "what's not to like?"

Watson is all conference level.
Morrow is a nice piece to a puzzle...a 10 and 7 guy. Nothing wrong with that.

After that some guys need to make MAJOR strides. Several have shown flashes here and there but not a lot of consistency out of any.
Yes, the rest of those true freshmen and true sophomores have shown flashes of what they can do.

I get that you are a Creighton guy and will always take your shots at the Husker hoops team but it gets old.

Agree. I think 7 years is fair. 3 or 4 or 5 probably just isn't enough to give a guy a full opportunity at Nebraska...plus you have to show the next guy that you'll give him adequate time.
He will have been here 5 years in late March.

Reading this thread, I agree with some of it, but I can't see giving Miles more than next year. If we finish under .500 next year, he has to find employment elsewhere imo. Also, depending on who we would be willing/able to hire, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if this was his last season as Husker HC.

That would be on a high level of dumb.
Why? Are we suddenly going to turn it around next year? Honestly, if we could get a major hire(I never said we would, I said it wouldn't hurt my feelings) I wouldn't be upset about it. I just don't see the Huskers ever being more than a .500 type club with the current HC.

Why? Are we suddenly going to turn it around next year? Honestly, if we could get a major hire(I never said we would, I said it wouldn't hurt my feelings) I wouldn't be upset about it. I just don't see the Huskers ever being more than a .500 type club with the current HC.
If you look at our team, yes, next year should be a huge step forward. Why wouldn't it be?

Don't get me wrong...I love Watson as a player. But by far he has taken the 2nd most shots on the team. That's out of necessity and maybe this is just a style thing for
He will have been here 5 years in late March.
Did I say 7? ;) 6 is plenty.

If you look at our team, yes, next year should be a huge step forward. Why wouldn't it be?
I sure hope so. Unlike I am with the football, I don't have the same rosy colored glasses with the hoops team, however, after wins over Maryland, Indiana and Purdue, I am willing to drink the kool-aid and root for Miles to take us dancing.

Yes, the rest of those true freshmen and true sophomores have shown flashes of what they can do.

I get that you are a Creighton guy and will always take your shots at the Husker hoops team but it gets old.
Oh now...don't be so sensitive. I'm a Nebraska AND Creighton guy. I want NU to be good but like everyone else....I've seen this song and dance for 30 some years.

It's not "taking shots" to say that that roster might not be one you can say "what's not to like?" Pretty legit to question how great the roster is. Time will tell obviously. You are what your record says you are...right? Right now, and for essentially Miles' whole tenure here...the record is not kind in evaluating Tim Miles.

Last edited:
Oh now...don't be so sensitive. I'm a Nebraska AND Creighton guy. I want NU to be good but like everyone else....I've seen this song and dance for 30 some years.

It's not "taking shots" to say that that roster might not be one you can say "what's not to like?" Pretty legit to question how great the roster is. Time will tell obviously. You are what your record says you are...right? Right now, and for essentially Miles' whole tenure here...the record is not kind in evaluating Tim Miles.
I've said in the past that I like Miles, and would love to see him succeed here at Nebraska, but he just won't survive another sub par .500 season next year. Even with the roster we have coming back, I'm not certain it he will.

You are a Huskers football fan, but like most on this board it pretty much ends there. You aren't fooling anyone here but maybe yourself. After a win, you might have a sentence to say but after a loss you won't stop talking about the negatives. I know its fun to rub our noses in it and you love every second of it.

Extremely young roster this year. Tai may be gone next season, but everybody else will be back. You can't watch them this year and not recognize their youth, and not acknowledge that a year of experience as a team could have them winning most of those single digit games they've lost, especially if we keep our inside players healthy.

Tim Miles is just fine.

Uh, we've never been much more than a .500 type club. Is that actually about the coaching, or could it possibly have anything to do with not having the level of talent that some other teams have?

Extremely young roster this year. Tai may be gone next season, but everybody else will be back. You can't watch them this year and not recognize their youth, and not acknowledge that a year of experience as a team could have them winning most of those single digit games they've lost, especially if we keep our inside players healthy.

Tim Miles is just fine.
I am not even going as far as to say that Miles is the man for the job at this point. I just don't think anyone can say one way or another yet. Next year is definitely a make or break year for Miles. I think the Huskers should be a top level Big Ten team next season. If they are a .500 team in conference next year, then something is wrong.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back