• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Move the football season to the spring

Per the CDC statistics released through 6/27/20, there have been a total of 171 deaths from this virus in the entire country by those age 24 and under during the entire time, even by the methods that are frequently accused of over-counting. The vast majority of those had underlying health conditions. 43% of total deaths overall have been in nursing homes.

The idea that this poses a threat to young athletes is statistically and demonstrably false.
True

But not everywhere! But I dont minimize the severity of the virus but all indications look to football proceeding forward

FWIW, in the Big Ten territory alone, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Ohio are all reporting their highest number of positive cases now since the pandemic started. And you have Ohio State and Maryland currently stopping their workouts due to Covid infections.

And that's not counting huge football states like Texas and Florida that are seeing their highest case counts, highest positivity rates, highest hospitalizations, highest ICUs, and highest death counts since it started. Those states all started with their highest case counts a few weeks ago -- and they climbed from there; the other counts lag and eventually caught up. Going to be very difficult for the Big 12 and SEC to get started anytime soon. California and Arizona Covid stats are also really bad now -- gonna be difficult for the Pac-12.

And a warning to Ohio, Wisconsin, and Iowa -- as happened in FL and TX -- the case counts rise first -- the others follow.

I think Nebraska may be fine for playing football, so long as they stick with playing UNK, UNO, Doane, Peru State, Chadron State, etc. Otherwise, I think there's quite a few obstacles still in the way of this season, unfortunately.

Last edited:

As a country we have endured similar virus situations. Bad flu season in 2018, H1N1 in 2010. There is a flu season every single year. During none of them in the past has everything been shut down. Of course there is something going on this year different from those years. So we can guess all we want but until people start waking up and the media stops creating hysteria about what's going on it's basically up to politicians to decide. I think more leaders like Frost and Harbaugh and Moos need to step up and be even more vocal about how not having sports will be way more harmful than the very slim possibility that some college kids will get sick if they have them. (The fact is college kids get sick every year anyway.)

As a country we have endured similar virus situations. Bad flu season in 2018, H1N1 in 2010. There is a flu season every single year. During none of them in the past has everything been shut down. Of course there is something going on this year different from those years. So we can guess all we want but until people start waking up and the media stops creating hysteria about what's going on it's basically up to politicians to decide. I think more leaders like Frost and Harbaugh and Moos need to step up and be even more vocal about how not having sports will be way more harmful than the very slim possibility that some college kids will get sick if they have them. (The fact is college kids get sick every year anyway.)

Considering we have nearly doubled both the 2017-18 flu and 2010 H1N1 deaths combined with Covid-19 deaths in the U.S. -- and we aren't done yet -- yeah, it's significant.

Last edited:
FWIW, in the Big Ten territory alone, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Ohio are all reporting their highest number of positive cases now since the pandemic started. And you have Ohio State and Maryland currently stopping their workouts due to Covid infections.

And that's not counting huge football states like Texas and Florida that are seeing their highest case counts, highest positivity rates, highest hospitalizations, highest ICUs, and highest death counts since it started. Those states all started with their highest case counts a few weeks ago -- and they climbed from there; the other counts lag and eventually caught up. Going to be very difficult for the Big 12 and SEC to get started anytime soon. California and Arizona Covid stats are also really bad now -- gonna be difficult for the Pac-12.

And a warning to Ohio, Wisconsin, and Iowa -- as happened in FL and TX -- the case counts rise first -- the others follow.

I think Nebraska may be fine for playing football, so long as they stick with playing UNK, UNO, Doane, Peru State, Chadron State, etc. Otherwise, I think there's quite a few obstacles still in the way of this season, unfortunately.
All these facts are true. But I am afraid that with Big 10 and SEC that money trumps health. The season will be shorter and spread out for flexibility. Everything will be done to have a football season

I imagine the Big 10 and SEC are salivating over the idea that they might get the lion's share of tv revenue if other conference's cancel. I even foresee a championship game with Alabama and Ohio State. I imagine situation in Ohio might be quite different in August and September, maybe not. But with players on campus, they can be isolated somewhat from others. I could be wrong though!!!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back