• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Move the football season to the spring

Oracle of Lincoln

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
Last edited:

You'd be shocked how quickly they can get the kids ready. More than 80% of the players know the playbook and most are likely already in pretty good shape. Would it be perfect? Obviously not, but there is no need for them to practice for a month before being able to play a game...every team would have a similar short prep routine. This might be the year where we find out our guy is worth what he's being paid...he might thrive in an environment where quick thinking is necessary.

Last edited:

I don’t see this happening either. They would play 2 seasons in one year? That poses all kinds of problems as well. Better than nothing—- but not much.

As discussed in another thread, I cannot imagine this happening.

You've got the injury concerns mentioned above .... the wear-and-tear concerns for playing two seasons within the same calendar month - plus - if a player gets a serious injury in the spring, he may conceivably miss large chunks of two seasons.

Add in any player being eligible for the April NFL draft may choose to concentrate on his professional career instead and skip out on a spring college season. There's no doubt in my mind many players would choose this -- as in hundreds of players. If you're drafted in April, why even play college ball in the spring? Not to mention the combine prior to that, prep for the combine, pro days, etc. Many rosters would be significantly depleted with a spring season.

It's just not going to happen.

Last edited:
Honestly, there is enough known information seven months into this, to make a decision on whether to play or not. I think they know there isn’t a realistic way to do this but they cannot come to grips with the money loss.

There is also a lot at stake for a season that starts and again cancels. That would not be good either for schollies, red shirts, recruits.

I think football is lost and I am more concerned now for NCAA basketball, March Madness and college baseball next year. Those seasons need to start on time or we will be screwed in 2021 too.

Once again, until there is a vaccine, reliable treatment, or the virus cases and spread have greatly diminished, organized sports that involve contact will most likely be put on the shelf for the foreseeable future. That doesn't even take into account whether or not folks would be allowed in the stands. Maybe one of the several "work around" scenarios bantered about will get adopted but I doubt it. At this point the best we can probably hope for is a series of Red/White games (or whatever other teams call their glorified scrimmages).

Per the CDC statistics released through 6/27/20, there have been a total of 171 deaths from this virus in the entire country by those age 24 and under during the entire time, even by the methods that are frequently accused of over-counting. The vast majority of those had underlying health conditions. 43% of total deaths overall have been in nursing homes.

The idea that this poses a threat to young athletes is statistically and demonstrably false.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back