• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Motorcycles

No dirt? 2018 KTM 300 xcw:

KTM 300 Redcone.jpg

Last edited:

My second bike was like this.

It was totalled when I was sitting at a stopsign and the car behind me ran through me at speed. Put me through their windshield. That was my third accident. I haven't had a bike since but I think about it from time to time.

lv0117-262806_2@2x.jpg

That day, 431 over to Incline Village. The building in the snow drift is the rest area at the top just before you get to the meadow.
Mt. Rose Highway is crazy in my SUV. It would be really wild to ride it on a bike. I hike out that way a lot and the ride down into Reno is amazing. Very nice indeed.

Mt. Rose Highway is crazy in my SUV. It would be really wild to ride it on a bike. I hike out that way a lot and the ride down into Reno is amazing. Very nice indeed.
The VC ride is fun too. I like riding alone. The solitude, being able to just spend time in my own head was relaxing.

I even like the ride from Reno to Vegas. I screwed up one time, and found myself on vapors in Goldfield. I found a guy sitting in his yard, pulled up and asked if he could spare a little fuel. He went over to a car on blocks, pulled out a hose, siphoned about 2 quarts. I gave him $10, and made it to Tonapah. Heck, I could have ended up in a gimp suit in the guys basement ala Pulp Fiction, but he was a Good Samaritan. Good times.

The VC ride is fun too. I like riding alone. The solitude, being able to just spend time in my own head was relaxing.

I even like the ride from Reno to Vegas. I screwed up one time, and found myself on vapors in Goldfield. I found a guy sitting in his yard, pulled up and asked if he could spare a little fuel. He went over to a car on blocks, pulled out a hose, siphoned about 2 quarts. I gave him $10, and made it to Tonapah. Heck, I could have ended up in a gimp suit in the guys basement ala Pulp Fiction, but he was a Good Samaritan. Good times.
That is AWESOME!!!! I used to love riding by myself on my bike. The solitude thing is for real indeed. I now get that when I hike alone, it's a different experience, but I can totally relate.

Street bike
  • Honda CB160, first motorcycle at age thirteen years old.
  • Honda CB550 4 banger. Longest trip ... from Hastings NE to Yellowstone park. I remember poor MPG yet average power.
  • Yamaha 650, 4 stroke, 2 cylinder
  • Kawasaki 900, 4 cylinder, I believe the first 4-stroke Kaw
  • Honda 400 cafe. 4 cylinder. Tiny pistons. Short and low handlebar.
  • 450px-Honda_Dream_CB400_Four.jpg
Dirt bike, street legal
  • Kawasaki Trail Boss, 100cc. The second motorcycle owner.
Motocross
  • Suzuki RM250 (c.1972). I don't like it. So-so power and horrible handling.
  • Honda CR250M Elsinore, first 2-stroke Honda engine. Pretty good power but poor handling and tinker toy transmission. 3 times replaced gear shift forks within 6 months.
  • Penton 250 (semi-sponsor), KTM engine. Powerful and good handling but heavy.
  • a76f18f7b3da42b44e313bd48054d687.jpg

• Maico 250 coffin tank (Germany mfg.). Semi-sponsor. Great engine, outstanding torque and nice handling but trans/clutch sucks ....... hand Hulk clutch and LONG gear shift lever.
  • 74MaicoFrontRight.gif

• Yamaha YZ125. Briefly. Little brother YZ250 (clone)
  • Yamaha YZ250 (semi-sponsor), the best overall performance. Monoshock.
  • 1980YZ250800wide.jpg
  • Suzuki 390 -- meh
Flat track racer
  • Yamaha 185cc, convert from dirt bike to flat track racer
  • Yamaha two-cylinder 250, convert from street bike to flat track racer. Custom frame -- California mfg.

Last edited:

Still waiting for Yamaha car. Just like Honda and Suzuki. I think Yamaha engineers was better than Honda and Suzuki (cars). Yamaha motorcycles are super reliable, great engines and nice handling. My favorite bike by far, YZ250 (see #25 post). Runner up, Maico or Penton ...... both out of business a long time ago.

BTW, I'm scared street bikes. Motorcycles and cars don't mix well at all. Most of the time, motocross bikes. Lots of crashes but no serious injuries.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back