• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Most under-rated Huskers?

In the spirit of the thread and Dirk's article... I might have to put in Junior Miller...

IMO, Junior really isn't appreciated by fans that never got to see him play or how Osborne creatively used him in the offense.

Junior had almost 20 yards per catch receiving in his career (19.6 to be precise).

Most people will bring up Johnny Mitchell. Oklahoma's Keith Jackson is in a lot of people's memories (and nightmares as a TE) like his end around for at TD against us.

Well, Tom Osborne was the guy that used (or brought back) the TE in the end around play... and after using it a few times, he put in a play with Junior throwing a pass off it... He had 8 carries for 80 yards.

Also, he was one player where we probably fudged the measurable to the downside; he was listed at 222 lbs, I think he was a lot closer to between 240 and 250.

Last edited:

I suppose it's easier to pick offensive skill players -- but I'll pick a defensive player that fits, IMO.

Ed Stewart.

When fans list off the great Husker linebackers, Stewart is rarely if ever mentioned. But -- he was the leader of the '94 defense. Big 8 Defensive Player of the Year. First-team All-American. And typically considered the genesis of Nebraska's evolution to smaller, faster players on defense that got us over the hump and winning national titles. Stewart was actually recruited as a defensive back. A lot of people tend to forget how key he was -- and such a tremendous player -- as a part of Osborne's first national title.
Totally agree.

Scott Shanle was underappreciated, I thought

8 man to Husker walk on to 7th round pick and a 10 year NFL career, that doesn't suck

I would add Stew Bradley. Walk on to 3rd round pick and a 6 year NFL career.

And Will Compton. Another one of those players pegged as "too slow" by Nebraska fans only to go on to a 7 years and counting NFL career as an UFA

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back