• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Most under-rated Huskers?

Interesting question.

Does Roy Helu Jr. top the list?

Yes. He is way up there... I cannot believe he did not garner at least an honorable mention on the all decade team. I would have put him on over either Burkhead or Abdullah. Fair point would be that you'd find a way to get the other two on the field. AA might have been a slot receiver.

Helu had better speed than probably both and more size. I am not so sure that part of TMagic's early success wasn't due to defenses being concerned about Helu.

Yes. He is way up there... I cannot believe he did not garner at least an honorable mention on the all decade team. I would have put him on over either Burkhead or Abdullah. Fair point would be that you'd find a way to get the other two on the field. AA might have been a slot receiver.

Helu had better speed than probably both and more size. I am not so sure that part of TMagic's early success wasn't due to defenses being concerned about Helu.

I would put Helu above Burkhead and Abdullah as well but I would love to have any of those three back playing right now. Amazing and fun to watch.

Burkhead and AA were often tasked with making something out of nothing. They were squeezing through cracks, bouncing off tacklers in the holes. Roy was a beast if he hit the edge, but in most of the runs in that video, he’s just faster than anyone chasing. He was a fun guy, but his lack of wiggle would have limited his effectiveness if he’d run behind the lines Rex and Ameer had.

I suppose it's easier to pick offensive skill players -- but I'll pick a defensive player that fits, IMO.

Ed Stewart.

When fans list off the great Husker linebackers, Stewart is rarely if ever mentioned. But -- he was the leader of the '94 defense. Big 8 Defensive Player of the Year. First-team All-American. And typically considered the genesis of Nebraska's evolution to smaller, faster players on defense that got us over the hump and winning national titles. Stewart was actually recruited as a defensive back. A lot of people tend to forget how key he was -- and such a tremendous player -- as a part of Osborne's first national title.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back