• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MLS thread - 2014 season/Update: Donovan retiring

I'd like a hybrid so we can develop both styles of play at the same time.

Could you define the La Liga style? I haven't really watched it...my experience is mainly EPL and a (very) little Bundesliga/Serie A. EPL - very physical, Serie A - very technical...am I generalizing correctly?

Love having this conversation...it's amazing how the same sport can be so different across continents and leagues.

Like the way Spain plays....and Real Madrid & Barcelona.....

You are correct on the EPL and Serie A....

Could you define the La Liga style? I haven't really watched it...my experience is mainly EPL and a (very) little Bundesliga/Serie A. EPL - very physical, Serie A - very technical...am I generalizing correctly?

Love having this conversation...it's amazing how the same sport can be so different across continents and leagues.

Jason Kries boss at NYCFC....could see him as technical director of the USMNT someday......first American to Captain ad English team.....McBride the only other..... in England a very big deal.....

Empire State Bldg <s>@</s>EmpireStateBldg <small class="time"> </small>Today, <s>@</s>CReynaNYCFC kicked off <s>@</s>IntChampionsCup w/ <s>@</s>PremierLeague trophy, currently held by <s>@</s>MCFC. <s>#</s>ICC2014 <s>#</s>football pic.twitter.com/tiNo7Vf435

Br9rW4aCcAAl87G.jpg

As far as team following, I'm turning into a Sporting KC fan - partly due to regional interest and to their great fan support, but also to Feilhaber, Besler and Zusi. Of course players change, and we'll see what happens if/when they leave. SKC seems to have a decent coach as well...Peter Vermes is a former player, and the only person to with the MLS Cup as a player (2000) and coach (2013) for the same team.

Plus, they beat the heck out of the Royals and Chiefs when it comes to putting a top-quality team on the field. :Biggrin:

not to mention sporting park is a beaut of a stadium for futbol!!!

Alright. I'm stepping up my game with my new fandom with SKC. I just bought tickets for me and the family for the Manchester City match later this month. Should be fun.

Go see an actual MLS game....my daughter and I went to a couple of these glorified scrimmages vs Real Madrid and Everton in Salt Lake (expensive to boot) and the EPL teams are in preseason mode and though its fun to see some of the stars of those teams the games are pretty much meaningless and it shows as the game wears on.....good rival game to go and see is RSL vs SKC....has become a real dogfight the past few years as both teams have risen to the top pf the league as you know....

MLS has grown in leaps and bounds over the past decade.....really happy to see a high character guy and great player like Kaka enter the league next season with Orlando....and he is still in his prime....

Alright. I'm stepping up my game with my new fandom with SKC. I just bought tickets for me and the family for the Manchester City match later this month. Should be fun.

Go see an actual MLS game....my daughter and I went to a couple of these glorified scrimmages vs Real Madrid and Everton in Salt Lake (expensive to boot) and the EPL teams are in preseason mode and though its fun to see some of the stars of those teams the games are pretty much meaningless and it shows as the game wears on.....good rival game to go and see is RSL vs SKC....has become a real dogfight the past few years as both teams have risen to the top pf the league as you know....

MLS has grown in leaps and bounds over the past decade.....really happy to see a high character guy and great player like Kaka enter the league next season with Orlando....and he is still in his prime....

;)

I know. We were heading to KC that week anyway and that was the only game on the schedule. It's fine. My kids are just starting to understand the world's interest in soccer (beyond their own crazy interest) and going to see a "European" team is a big deal for them; whether they play anyone who's name I recognize or not.......

Good....have fun even if it is City (my English uncles are all United fans....:Biggrin:)....my daughter and I bonded for four seasons in SLC watching Real and made some real friends among the players....MLS players are the best when it comes to their fan bases and Beckerman was top of the list....sweetheart of a person and always available.....

Maybe someday when QPR gets their stuff back together they can see a real EPL team.....;) :lol:

;)

I know. We were heading to KC that week anyway and that was the only game on the schedule. It's fine. My kids are just starting to understand the world's interest in soccer (beyond their own crazy interest) and going to see a "European" team is a big deal for them; whether they play anyone who's name I recognize or not.......

Last edited:

Kaki, D villa, Xavi.......

Some great names looking to hopefully play soon.

I would hope MLS decides to have some type of rotation for teams who aren't competitive. MLS is planning for 24 teams by 2020 from what I've read. I'd like to see 20 teams with maybe 12-14 in a second league competing to move up. I love it when the owners have to stay in the game financially and actively.

MLS thread - 2014 season

True, I really like the relegation system, and I wish we had it over here for soccer and other sports. I've said before that MLB would be way more interesting if the Astros/Twins/Cubs had to worry about going down a league as a result of their poor performance.

Of course it's business, and the structure just isn't set up the same way over here. Oh well. :)

I like it too, but I do not see it happening here anytime in the far future....:) :)

And you nailed its business and the structure of American sports is not set up that way.....and I suspect never will be....

True, I really like the relegation system, and I wish we had it over here for soccer and other sports. I've said before that MLB would be way more interesting if the Astros/Twins/Cubs had to worry about going down a league as a result of their poor performance.

Of course it's business, and the structure just isn't set up the same way over here. Oh well. :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back