• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Minnesota Coach Kill suffered an epileptic seizure at halftime today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Man oh man....he has had a tough go of it....may God watch over him and get him through this latest bout with seizure's.....

Chief among them: How’s Jerry Kill?

The Gophers coach suffered an epileptic seizure in the locker room at halftime, after his players had already taken the field, and defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys coached the second half from the press box. Kill is recovering normally from the seizure, athletic director Norwood Teague said afterward, and will not require hospitalization. He’s expected back at work on Monday, Teague said.

“I know this will bring up questions about him moving forward, but we have 100 percent confidence in Jerry,†Teague said. “We’ll evaluate, at the end of the year, his health, and that mainly is for him. ... You don’t want to downplay it, but you get to the point where you realize it’s something he has to deal with at times. It’s easy to deal with in a lot of ways.â€

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/180711541.html

They're in a tough situation.

Kill is a good coach leading a team with lesser talent to good wins in the Big Ten. BUT, you have to think that not coaching a team would benefit Kill. It might be time to part with him, not because of what he has done with the team but for him, and to look forward with a new coach.

That's not the first for him. Wish him the best, not sure if stepping back does anything medically to make it better, but I hope he does what's right for him.

This is not the big deal everyone is making of it. Even if he were to step away from on-field coaching duties or even be fired/walk away from coaching.. he'll still have seizures. They have no known trigger, therefore it's just the way he is.

Will it be a distraction to the team? Maybe. But I promise you, it's far more distraction for the media/fans than it'll ever be to the team/program.

This is not the big deal everyone is making of it. Even if he were to step away from on-field coaching duties or even be fired/walk away from coaching.. he'll still have seizures. They have no known trigger, therefore it's just the way he is.

Will it be a distraction to the team? Maybe. But I promise you, it's far more distraction for the media/fans than it'll ever be to the team/program.

I thought there was an article a while back that said stress and lack of rest (both prevalent in coaching) can exacerbate these seizures? I think coach Kill has done a good so far, but risking his health should be a factor.

I thought there was an article a while back that said stress and lack of rest (both prevalent in coaching) can exacerbate these seizures? I think coach Kill has done a good so far, but risking his health should be a factor.

COULD be a trigger. They did extensive testing at Mayo. But the thing with seizures is, they can be more than tricky to determine their causes. And most of the time, there is no legitimate trigger. They just happen.

Also need to note that seizures, whether on the football field or at home in bed, carry the same health issues. And that is.. not much. Falling down and hitting his noggin is the biggest 'health' concern when it comes to seizures.

Has Kill had seizures the past two years other than those that have happened during or right after football games? I think the answer to that question tells us a lot.

At some point one has to wonder how his health will affect recruiting. Not that it's easy to recruit to Minnesota in the first place.

Formo, no known trigger, but certainly some environments that are associated with the presence of the seizures. Between the internal stresses, the loud noises, and the visual overstimulation, there are lots of things that are typical triggers for seizures at Big 10 college football games.

I suppose the other thing is to determine the 'risk' of having the seizures - what, if any, are the long-term consequences? If minimal - the U. certainly has the medical staff that can manage the situation...

Of course, if I were a member of Coach Kill's family, I have a feeling where I'd stand on this deal.

I have nothing but respect for the man. I wish there was a way his seizures could be better controlled.

Last edited:

We have a few people in the know here. I consider myself another one. There are different forms of Epilepsy from petit mal all the way to grand mal & much more. I joined the military knowing I had Epilepsy hoping they would not catch wind of it. was controlled since diagnosed as a child. Went threw some extensive training & such in the military & was hoping to make it my career. Alas even in the seventies the FBI & back ground checks eventually catch up with you. They caught up to me while I was in country. Needless to say my MOS required a complete bill of health. My superiors & I fought it for awhile but eventually had to give up on my MOS. I had completely quit taking my meds for about 7 years but that was not good enough. Anyway the morale here for me is what many say is true about the triggering points. But it can really be controlled by the correct doses of meds & rest. They will eventually find the correct medication for the coach. But I have learned that you cannot rely on just the meds. You really have to take care of yourself. I wish Coach Kill all the best & remember coach some of the brightest & most intelligent people in the history of the world have had Epilepsy from Sir Isaac Newton, Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great to Tchaikovsky. He will get this figured out. I wish him only the best.

Off my soapbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back